Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

I have to admit that I didn’t watch him closely or know much about him before he was acquired via trade. But something about his numbers, struck me as odd - cost controlled lefty, sub 4.00 ERA, 180 innings, extremely low walk rate, and the A’s more or less just gave him away? We didn’t even trade a top 20 prospect for him. That raised concerns that Billy Bean knows something..

To those advocating for him to rejoin the team without showing vast improvement, my question to you is - What have you seen stuff wise from him that says this will work in our division, especially against the power hitting right handers he will have to face?

I hope that he turns it completely around and contributes this season. But what I observed from an ability perspective says the odds are really low.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think this is tactical.    I didn't like the choice to deploy him in Boston not Texas on the first trip, but the fact they did also hinted to me he carries Lyles-level status in the yearlong planning.    

It does crack a door for Wells to strengthen his claim in the 5/6ths or 5/7ths of length pitchers on the roster who get to go first.

Just now, Just Regular said:

Yeah, I think this is tactical.    I didn't like the choice to deploy him in Boston not Texas on the first trip, but the fact they did also hinted to me he carries Lyles-level status in the yearlong planning.    

It does crack a door for Wells to strengthen his claim in the 5/6ths or 5/7ths of length pitchers on the roster who get to go first.

Didn’t add up to me either. Then he faced Yanks. Was going to face A’s and obviously that didn’t work today. 

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Didn't know he had options and a surprise move.

A surprise move. But the right one. I thought he’d be moved to the bullpen. Also was not aware he had options remaining.  

Edited by ChuckS

6 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Somewhere wildcard is celebrating 😉

Well, his predictions for Kremer and several others aren’t looking too good, so maybe not.   Hopefully several of the starters will pull things together soon.  This has been painful.  

I hope they leave him down in AAA until needed or until he gets his stuff together. I would rather allow Grayson to learn at the Major league level and have Wells be solid as the 5th member of the rotation. 

Why do the O’s need to make special accommodations for Irvin or treat him differently than any of the other guys? He was very inexpensive to acquire and has an option apparently. Grayson’s development and gaining of major league experience should be a much higher priority than whatever happens to Irvin. 

To those saying that the O’s didn’t set him up for success with the matchups. I thought that too after the Red Sox and Yanks. But after today and how he pitched against a AAA lineup, I’m not sure if he can get lineup out at this level consistently right now. 

I guess tomorrow we'll get information from Wells and Bradish both to guess who will go Wednesday at Washington.    It looks like maybe the basic question is do they choose to re-insert Bradish in DC Wednesday or home against the Tigers Friday.     Wells on 4 days rest Wednesday might be a little heavy of a lift, so going to guess Bradish has more of a medium length Bowie tune up tomorrow to have a full tank for Wednesday.

Wells-Gibson-Rodriguez this weekend.

Kremer-Bradish in DC

By next Friday opening the Detroit series, it could be an option to skip SP5 Wells as Innings Lord Kyle Gibson will already have 5 full rest days by then.

31 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I can't imagine they're planning on going without a lefty in the starting rotation long term. Could this just be a move to add add some arms to a depleted bullpen with the idea that they'll call Irvin back up for his next scheduled start? 

I would imagine that if they're using an option (Because he's in his final year of options and they only get 5), then they will probably keep him in Norfolk for at least 1 or 2 starts. Especially if they are calling up Spencer Watkins who is another starter.  And then they'll have to drop 2 more pitchers down once Bradish returns from his rehab assignment and Keegan Akin returns from parental leave after having his new baby.

What this tells me is that DL Hall may have an opening for an opportunity in the near future if he can prove himself in his next couple starts at AAA. Bruce Zimmerman has also been doing well so far for Norfolk.

I'm more surprised to see them choose Cano as the RP callup.

This leave me with alot of questions, but I am extremely intrigued by the news. I'm going to get my popcorn ready and see what they do!

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

To those advocating for him to rejoin the team without showing vast improvement, my question to you is - What have you seen stuff wise from him that says this will work in our division, especially against the power hitting right handers he will have to face?

The stuff is similar to last year. Velocity is fine, K rate is fine, movement isn't worse. Command is the issue.

I would not call him back up without a major improvement in location, but I don't think the stuff is the primary concern here. Something is just off with the command.

• Upvote 1