The 2023 Bullpen Thread

sportsfan8703

If both Givens and Tate were to come back and things stay the way they are, I think Akin gets optioned.  The 2nd move is trickier because Voth is one guy who can multiple innings and has no options and I think they are confident he bounces back.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If both Givens and Tate were to come back and things stay the way they are, I think Akin gets optioned.  The 2nd move is trickier because Voth is one guy who can multiple innings and has no options and I think they are confident he bounces back.

Didn't know the option piece when I posted so scratch Voth as first off the island. Then Akin to get more consistent work and then whoever else with options that isn't getting it done.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I can't see them optioning Akin.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think Perez stubs a toe.

He's throwing 97. He'll just get lower leverage appearances until he either snaps out of it or they let him go.  My guess is that he snaps out of it.

Akin was bad 2nd half last year and nothing special so far AND they can option him.

Just now, RZNJ said:

He's throwing 97. He'll just get lower leverage appearances until he either snaps out of it or they let him go.  My guess is that he snaps out of it.

Akin was bad 2nd half last year and nothing special so far AND they can option him.

You may be right.  You probably are, as they'll do anything to not expose a player.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

With Elias never liking to lose useable options, I could see Akin getting optioned instead of Voth since Voth doesn't have an option but Akin does. 

Both Coulombe makes Akin a little less needed as the second lefty so if he's not pitching well, I think Akin is the guy that goes after Gillaspie.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Is this where we are in professional reporting? Are we really abbreviating could in a one sentence tweet? Did taking that "ou" out save anyone time? lol 

I hope this is not something that catches on.

Yeah, it's prtty stupd.

• Haha 1

The move they made today to get Bradish back didn't surprise me. The next 2 moves to get Tate and Givens back, however, may surprise me.

I'm hoping Perez gets his good mojo back.  And he has earned himself a longer leash than most pitchers in the bullpen because of how well he's performed in 2022 when he was a huge part of the Orioles success. But otherwise, right now I see Voth and Perez as possible DFA's unless they get their groove back.

Cano looks like he has arrived. He's this year's version of what Bautista and Perez was for the 2022 season. And based Hyde's comments, Cano is staying with the big league team. Baker has returned to be the Bryan Baker we saw that was so dominating at the end of the 2022 season. Coulombe has been rock solid and saved the pitching staff during high leverage situations through a couple of different spots this season. 

Just going by process of elimination, I guess by process of elimination, that would only leave Akin as the other possible suspect for going down thanks to his option. With that said, I think people here are too hard on his performance, because he's actually been pretty good at times. But at other times he's been average, and his stuff isn't anything that stands out. And like Tony said, that option on his contract probably makes him one of the odd men out for a while when Tate and Givens return.