Connor Norby 2023

glenn__davis

On 9/14/2023 at 1:23 PM, emmett16 said:

I wonder if this is the beginning of Norby becoming exclusively a LFer.  Path to playing time in the infield is murky at best with all the talent in front of him.  LF seems like a place he could thrive and make it to the show quicker.  

He played 2B last night. Silly me thinking for a second he’d play any position exclusively. 

13 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Norby with grand slams each of the past two nights. He now has 20 homers and 89 RBI.

Second year in a row where Norby is finishing very strong.  He’s hitting .296/.400/.537 this September.  Overall he’s up to .289/.354/.478.   

I’ve noticed that he’s a very productive hitter.  He leads the Tides in both runs (101) and RBI (89).  Of course, he also has 145 more plate appearances than anyone else.  But still, those are good numbers for 134 games played.  

I hope he gets a shot at the big leagues sometime next year, whether it’s for the O’s or another team.  He’s now had 655 AAA plate appearances, rivaling Jordan Westburg’s total before his promotion (714).  

This guy has to be frustrated. He's been very solid at double A and triple A for almost two full seasons now and he's pretty much the last one of the Gunnar-Adley wave who hasn't even gotten a sniff in Baltimore. He'll probably get traded at some point and I think someone's going to get a good one. 

1 hour ago, vab said:

This guy has to be frustrated. He's been very solid at double A and triple A for almost two full seasons now and he's pretty much the last one of the Gunnar-Adley wave who hasn't even gotten a sniff in Baltimore. He'll probably get traded at some point and I think someone's going to get a good one. 

Well, he has the problem that Westburg and Ortiz are both much better than he is defensively, plus they’ve both been in the system longer than he has.  Norby doesn’t even need to be on the 40-man roster until November 2024.   So, it’s no surprise that he hasn’t been called up yet.  He just needs to keep polishing his defense while waiting for an opportunity.  He’ll get one next year, but it might be in another organization.  

1 hour ago, vab said:

I can't imagine he's more frustrated than Ortiz - who is the better player and was drafted 2 years before him. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He’s basically had one full, and very solid, AAA season. We make it sound like he’s been stuck in AAA for 2-3 years.   

And, he’s only been in the system since the summer of 2021.   Still, he’s had a longer AAA tenure than most of our guys did before their call-ups, with the exception of Westburg.  

On 9/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, RZNJ said:

He’s basically had one full, and very solid, AAA season. We make it sound like he’s been stuck in AAA for 2-3 years.   

Having depth in AAA is how you can consistently win over 162. It doesn’t have to be the older depth that DD had when he was here, but it’s the same theory. Just with younger players. 

Gotta love our depth chart. The 2024 Norfolk starting position group is probably better than that of the 2019 O’s.  So that’s basically two teams that Elias has built in his 5 years here. 

• Upvote 1

I still think if you move him to LF and you have yourself a nice little Austin Hays type outfield prospect minus the plus arm. He is though a guy who has value because of the bat and if some team is willing to live with some head scratchingly bad errors on occasion at 2B, they could try to shove him in the lineup there at the major league level.

Cowser is probably the LF of the future here so I still think Norby is probably a top trade candidate this offseason. But at the same time, Elias is not just going to move him because he's blocked here.

The value has to come back but Elias has yet to make a top prospect for major league value trade yet. This offseason I think he almost has to target a shutdown reliever and Norby could be part of a package.