Wells is a starter 2023

Since1984

Tyler Wells has gone through  all the tests needed to be a Starting Pitcher for the 2023 rotation. Lots of concerns with his rule 5 initiation, injuries, etc. 

His injury history is only as much a concern, as any candidate on the annual rotation. Let him start from here on out and the Orioles will be more successful.

This guy can pitch.  SSS, I beg not…he has the stuff, arm angle and just picked up the team tonight! More to come….job Wells done! 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Since1984 said:

His injury history is only as much a concern, as any candidate on the annual rotation. Let him start from here on out and the Orioles will be more successful.

I just had an epiphany while reading this. Jim Palmer said he was disapointed that Hyde didn't let Wells pitch the 9th to finish the game. I think Tyler's injury history might be 1 of the reasons why Hyde chose to bring in the closer. It's better for the team and for Wells if they can keep his pitch count and IP moderated. It's a long season.

But like you said, he's earned his spot. Job Wells done!

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I just had an epiphany while reading this. Jim Palmer said he was disapointed that Hyde didn't let Wells pitch the 9th to finish the game. I think Tyler's injury history might be 1 of the reasons why Hyde chose to bring in the closer. It's better for the team and for Wells if they can keep his pitch count and IP moderated. It's a long season.

Definitely agree, Wells has IL stints in every season. Hopefully he can build on the 23 GS and 100 IP from last year!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

47 pitches in 5 innings.  I don’t think it would have stressed him at all to throw one more inning.   I hated the decision, but I’m letting go of the issue.  We won. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think the assumption has been that Wells will lose his spot when Gray Rod comes back.  I think it will likely be Gibson or Irvin.  Good to see Wells get the best "start" of the 2023 season.

I don’t think they traded for Irvin for him not to start. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

47 pitches in 5 innings.  I don’t think it would have stressed him at all to throw one more inning.   I hated the decision, but I’m letting go of the issue.  We won. 

I think it was good to get Bautista back on the horse in more favorable conditions after he wasn't super sharp in Fenway.  Obviously Saturday's game should have been over but he still gave up the HR to the next batter and he wasn't real sharp on OD.

I would have been fine with Wells staying in but I think that was playing the long game there by Hyde.

Wells is such a pleasure to watch when he's on. Doesn't get a lot of K's (only 2 last night) but throws strikes and pitches to contact. If there is an efficiency metric (pitches per out made) I would bet he has been our leader the last couple years. I have been in favor of bullpen role to keep him from wearing down but I can certainly buy into him as a starter. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wells is such a pleasure to watch when he's on. Doesn't get a lot of K's (only 2 last night) but throws strikes and pitches to contact. If there is an efficiency metric (pitches per out made) I would bet he has been our leader the last couple years. I have been in favor of bullpen role to keep him from wearing down but I can certainly buy into him as a starter. 

I agree with this.  I love how he gets ahead in counts and mixes up his pitches, all of which he commands well.  He can just zoom through games at times.  If he can stay healthy, he’s a huge asset.  

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think the assumption has been that Wells will lose his spot when Gray Rod comes back.  I think it will likely be Gibson or Irvin.  Good to see Wells get the best "start" of the 2023 season.

Gibson and Irvin pitched okay all things considered. Right now it's on Kremer to follow up his dud with a nice start. 

• 2 weeks later...