Creed Willems 2023

Frobby

17 minutes ago, Triple Crown said:

Why are people obsessed with the way he looks? The kid can hit, just enjoy watching him play.

Because it's very different from the bodies we typically see from professional athletes, because he got $1million signing bonus, and because he has the sweetest mullet this side of Kenny Powers. :D

Seriously though, he moves very well behind the dish for a guy his shape, and while he's not a base clogger, he's not very fast and will get slower h in his mid-20s.

I love watching the kid play because he just looks like he's having a blast out there and his attitude seems infectious to his teammates. Would I like to see him come back into next year a little more chiseled, sure, but it may just not be his body type.

At the end of the day, his adjustments from last year to this year are probably the biggest development we've seen this year in the minor leagues. 

He's fun kid to root for and even his body shape makes him maybe that much more fun to watch because it's unlike anyone else I've seen in this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

This probably has been talk about to death. With all the offseason workout camps for prospects. Does he refuses to go- I know they are voluntary?

George Herman Ruth invites you to pull his finger.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, owknows said:

George Herman Ruth invites you to pull his finger.

Using perhaps the greatest player in the history of the game as the exception to a rule does not disprove the rule.  Yes, it's possible to be a little chubby and still be an effective baseball player.  However, getting in better shape would only help a chubby player be even better.  And that's why people bring up Willems' body type; it's surprising to see well-paid professional athletes with tremendous resources available to them still be out of shape.  That being said, this kid is so much fun to watch and follow...would love to see him in Baltimore in a couple years.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've posted this before but since folks like bringing up comps from a century ago...

Ruth at 21.

RuthBabe-10-242x300.jpg

Ruth at 21 looks like a guy that is likely to have a weight problem as he gets older.  But it is a mistake to think you have to be chiseled to be an athlete.  Kirby Pucket was a great athlete.  Warren Sapp was an incredible athlete.  Gwynn was great too.  Willems body type is such that he will likely never be chiseled, that doesn't mean he can't be in great shape.  In the NBA now people mistakenly don't realize that Jokic is superiorly conditioned.  

9 minutes ago, Otter said:

Using perhaps the greatest player in the history of the game as the exception to a rule does not disprove the rule.  Yes, it's possible to be a little chubby and still be an effective baseball player.  However, getting in better shape would only help a chubby player be even better.  And that's why people bring up Willems' body type; it's surprising to see well-paid professional athletes with tremendous resources available to them still be out of shape.  That being said, this kid is so much fun to watch and follow...would love to see him in Baltimore in a couple years.

Plenty of awesome chubby  to choose from.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/747116-mlb-power-rankings-45-baseball-heavyweights-worth-their-girth

Some might even argue that mass is an advantage in power hitting, if you're particularly athletic.

How about we just let the kid play the game.

And he succeeds or fails on his merits.

There have been way too many players ruined by meddling do-gooders who think they know better how to succeed, than the kid that is actually succeeding

Edited by owknows

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Ruth at 21 looks like a guy that is likely to have a weight problem as he gets older.  But it is a mistake to think you have to be chiseled to be an athlete.  Kirby Pucket was a great athlete.  Warren Sapp was an incredible athlete.  Gwynn was great too.  Willems body type is such that he will likely never be chiseled, that doesn't mean he can't be in great shape.  In the NBA now people mistakenly don't realize that Jokic is superiorly conditioned.  

I don't think anyone with an ounce of sense doesn't think that Jokic, a two time MVP and the recent finals MVP isn't superiourly conditioned.

That's nonsense.

And NO ONE is saying that he needs to be chiseled.  Where are you getting that from? 

It's not good for anyone to be carrying around a bunch of extra weight at that young an age.

No one thought Mark Schlereth was fat but he still had the sense to drop between 60-80 pounds of extra mass after he retired.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone with an ounce of sense doesn't think that Jokic, a two time MVP and the recent finals MVP isn't superiourly conditioned.

That's nonsense.

And NO ONE is saying that he needs to be chiseled.  Where are you getting that from? 

It's not good for anyone to be carrying around a bunch of extra weight at that young an age.

No one thought Mark Schlereth was fat but he still had the sense to drop between 60-80 pounds of extra mass after he retired.

There are plenty of people that think Jokic is not as well conditioned as the average NBA player.  Willems does have some extra weight on him, but he looks noticeably trimmer.  That just might be his optimal body.  

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

There are plenty of people that think Jokic is not as well conditioned as the average NBA player.  Willems does have some extra weight on him, but he looks noticeably trimmer.  That just might be his optimal body.  

He's even stolen a couple bases this year. 😆

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's nonsense.

Many OL and DL lost weight after they retired. I remember going to Colt games where former Colt teams were being honored. As the players were introduced and they ran out onto the field I couldn't help but notice that the players who had to be heavy(the OL and DL) had slimmed down, and the RB and WR had fattened up. 

Schlereth, in particular, had many knee operations during his career. He probably realized that he had to lighten up just so he'd be able to walk around.

4 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

This probably has been talk about to death. With all the offseason workout camps for prospects. Does he refuses to go- I know they are voluntary?

When I spoke with him at Twin Lakes the first week of March, he told me he worked hard all offseason and he trained at some local colleges in Texas close to where he’s from with several other players. I think he said he got to Sarasota and began working out there in mid Jan if memory serves correct. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's nonsense.

4 hours ago, panick said:

Many OL and DL lost weight after they retired. I remember going to Colt games where former Colt teams were being honored. As the players were introduced and they ran out onto the field I couldn't help but notice that the players who had to be heavy(the OL and DL) had slimmed down, and the RB and WR had fattened up. 

Schlereth, in particular, had many knee operations during his career. He probably realized that he had to lighten up just so he'd be able to walk around.

Bike, tuna and will: How Marshal Yanda lost 60 pounds in three months -  ESPN - Baltimore Ravens Blog- ESPN

Yanda almost lost as much weight as his jersey number.