Rays 2023

SteveA

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No he isn't

Major League Baseball announced an investigation into the situation, and on Monday the Rays placed Franco on the restricted list, removing him from the active roster. He is still being paid by the team while the investigations proceed, per multiple media reports.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article278325473.html#storylink=cpy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would take it with a grain of salt for now and that source is probably assuming things if it’s true anyway but if this is all true, it probably is a good possibility.

I'm seeing in the replies he says the source is the same one that let him break Franco's contract. So Franco's agent or someone with the team. 

I wonder (or should I say Wander) if this galvanizes the Rays a bit.  

As good as they are at developing pitching you also have to wonder about the injuries at this point.  Seems like just about every guy they bring up ultimately goes under the knife.  Maybe just bad luck but if I were them I'd at least be looking for possible causes.

I've heard it observed the Rays lean into injury risk.     They can Arm Barn cover it when you are down, and care more about having you when you are good.

Frankly I expect Elias to pivot somewhat towards this when he gets past needing the Kyle Gibsons of the world to cover 1450 innings, and has more freedom to speculate on the Quality not Quantity types like Heaney or Wacha.

Next year Grayson, Bradish, Means, Wells, Kremer can cover much of the 5 x 150, while we watch McDermott, Povich, Johnson and anyone else better than Irvin for a 6th starter.     We'll see if Elias invests ~$1.5mm in Irvin like he did Voth this year.

I am curious to see if Shane Baz can get back as a reliever by October - his TJ was late last year so he'd only be at 12-13 months.     

9 minutes ago, 86this said:

Franco will probably be breaking records in the KBO.

That would be quite a baseball talent control for international league translations if it happened.     Trevor Bauer isn't I believe posting a big workload going towards I think the end of his suspension next year.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

@Frobby would there be a clause in his contract where the Rays would be able to get out of the contract if he is basically kicked out of the league?

If he's on the restricted list and not getting paid, does it even make any difference?  They won't be on the hook to pay him. 

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I've heard it observed the Rays lean into injury risk.     They can Arm Barn cover it when you are down, and care more about having you when you are good.

Frankly I expect Elias to pivot somewhat towards this when he gets past needing the Kyle Gibsons of the world to cover 1450 innings, and has more freedom to speculate on the Quality not Quantity types like Heaney or Wacha.

Next year Grayson, Bradish, Means, Wells, Kremer can cover much of the 5 x 150, while we watch McDermott, Povich, Johnson and anyone else better than Irvin for a 6th starter.     We'll see if Elias invests ~$1.5mm in Irvin like he did Voth this year.

I am curious to see if Shane Baz can get back as a reliever by October - his TJ was late last year so he'd only be at 12-13 months.     

I like this idea but do we have the arms to pivot to Rays 2.0 "next man up" style? Chayce looks good right now, but we lose Means after next year, just traded Rom. I don't think we are close to what the Rays are doing. Even they got Glasnow to supplement.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure if he can be on the restricted list for a decade though?

I imagine they'd want first dibs on him if he did become available to play in MLB again.  Would kind of stink if he served a 2-3 year suspension and then came back and got picked up by a rival.  That's assuming they would want him back.  

If the rumors are true, I wouldn't want him near my team but I'd like to retain his rights to be able to potentially receive some compensation through trade.

I believe Bauer is serving a 324 game suspension and will be due $64 million when the suspension is over.  I think the difference is that Bauer wasn't found guilty of criminal charges.   That would change the situation if Franco, is in fact found guilty.  

33 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If he's on the restricted list and not getting paid, does it even make any difference?  They won't be on the hook to pay him. 

This says that he is currently being paid.

Major League Baseball announced an investigation into the situation, and on Monday the Rays placed Franco on the restricted list, removing him from the active roster. He is still being paid by the team while the investigations proceed, per multiple media reports.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article278325473.html#storylink=cpy

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

This says that he is currently being paid.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article278325473.html#storylink=cpy

Seems you are correct. Thanks.  

Wander Franco investigation: Updates, background and some perspective (tampabay.com)