Rays 2023

SteveA

Just now, btdart20 said:

How missing games is a risk to the team?  We've seen Elias avoid SPs because of injury risk.  Why would missing games for legal reasons be a risk to consider?

I don't think the risk of "missing games due to off the field behavior" is much of a reason to not sign someone to a long term deal.   I'll agree that if you have evidence that someone is engaging is questionable behavior he will be less likely to be a candidate for an extension but in vacuum you don't decide to not extend guys because something might happen off the field.

I will give you some credit, I figured you were going to say something about having to pay someone in this situation.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the risk of "missing games due to off the field behavior" is much of a reason to not sign someone to a long term deal.   I'll agree that if you have evidence that someone is engaging is questionable behavior he will be less likely to be a candidate for an extension but in vacuum you don't decide to not extend guys because something might happen off the field.

I will give you some credit, I figured you were going to say something about having to pay someone in this situation.

I'm sure there is some language in the contract about missing time due to legalities, etc... I would have to think that type of stuff is baked in to a lot of these deals. Reputational risk is a big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's what I was saying.  Hopefully it's a non-issue for all of our guys.

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm sure there is some language in the contract about missing time due to legalities, etc... I would have to think that type of stuff is baked in to a lot of these deals. Reputational risk is a big deal. 

It's all in the CBA-attached, MLB contracts are essentially boilerplate but I think all contain a morals clause. 

B. Conduct Detrimental or Prejudicial to Baseball Players may be disciplined for just cause for conduct that is materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of Baseball including, but not limited to, engaging in conduct in violation of federal, state or local law. The Commissioner and a Club shall not discipline a Player for the same act or conduct under this provision. In cases of this type, a Club may only discipline a Player, or take other adverse action against him, when the Commissioner defers the disciplinary decision to the Club.

https://registration.mlbpa.org/pdf/Basic Agreement_english.pdf

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta believe there's no coming back from this.

And...well, while there's certainly nothing about what he did, I'm not losing sleep over the fact that he plays for the team we're trying to beat out for the division.

Depends how old the allegations are and the age of the woman now. I agree on the surface this allegation is troubling but people do weird things all the time when theres money involved.

20 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

It's all in the CBA-attached, MLB contracts are essentially boilerplate but I think all contain a morals clause. 

B. Conduct Detrimental or Prejudicial to Baseball Players may be disciplined for just cause for conduct that is materially detrimental or materially prejudicial to the best interests of Baseball including, but not limited to, engaging in conduct in violation of federal, state or local law. The Commissioner and a Club shall not discipline a Player for the same act or conduct under this provision. In cases of this type, a Club may only discipline a Player, or take other adverse action against him, when the Commissioner defers the disciplinary decision to the Club.

https://registration.mlbpa.org/pdf/Basic Agreement_english.pdf

Right, just look at Trevor Bauer.