For the GW supporters....

BaltBird 24

Then it's something Gary should be doing.

I'm a Gary supporter but he needs to step up and get players here. No one cares about the nice guy winning the right way anymore.

My guess is you guys would be saying to get them however we need to if Gay would have came here.

Since it would have been legit had he come here (since Gary Williams doesn't play that way) your example doesn't work.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but considering what the subject of the thread is, it seems like a good place rather than creating a new thread.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-te.sp.terpshoop12mar12,0,362459.story

"I have been at every home visit we have ever had with a recruit in 20 years," Williams wrote to The Baltimore Sun when asked how hands-on he is with recruits. "I am out recruiting every allowable day in July. When I was hired in 1989, former President Britt Kirwan said my first responsibility was to run a clean program. I have done that for 20 years. I work hard at recruiting, if I didn't we would not have the overall record that we have had for the past 16 years since we came off the NCAA sanctions that were imposed in the spring of 1990."

Is Gary Williams lying?

Supposedly GW was at a long planned function when this recruit decided at the last minute to visit-----he was also presumed to be a Carolina lock(I believe it was Carolina ---not sure).

This was not an "inhome" visit-----so no apparent lie.

Who knows -- but there are definitely conflicting reports...

Well that's my question: who should we believe?

The coach that is under fire and could be trying to save himself? Or recruits that may not want to speak highly of the school for whatever reason?

I'm sure I know which side you would take, and I know which side I would take :P

Who knows -- but there are definitely conflicting reports...
Well that's my question: who should we believe?

The coach that is under fire and could be trying to save himself? Or recruits that may not want to speak highly of the school for whatever reason?

I'm sure I know which side you would take, and I know which side I would take :P

"In-home visit"

"In-home visit"

For some reason, I read that as meaning the same as "home game". Don't ask me why :P

Still, the lack of contact with recruits and the effort put into recruiting are a major part of the criticism he gets, and his statement contradicts that.

I guess I should have found a better thread, though.

For some reason, I read that as meaning the same as "home game". Don't ask me why :P

Still, the lack of contact with recruits and the effort put into recruiting are a major part of the criticism he gets, and his statement contradicts that.

I guess I should have found a better thread, though.

Terp,

I have been following recruiting closely for 30 some years and have never heard of a head coach not attending a in home visit-I don't know why he would say that it's unheard of. As to being out every day in July-I think he quotes July which is camp season the busiest recruiting time of the year. That is important but kind of like you or I saying I'm at work every Monday and December which are really busy-it doesn't take into account the rest of the year. It's pretty well documented his disdain for recruiting and if you read good non partisan publications like the ACC Sports Journal you see it. I have even been at a roast where Jim Boehim kidded GW about it. Guys like Brick Oettinger, Dave Telep, and Dave Glenn have commented on it and they have been in the business 30-40 years and are friends of GW.

I criticize him about recruiting but he doesn't need a team of top 50 players he does need that one top 20 talent to go along with GV-as GV alluded to last week. It's frustrating because he is such a good coach (he stole the game last night) and the kids listen and play hard but they just don't have that one talented kid that makes a difference.

Archived