For the GW supporters....

BaltBird 24

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That being said, we thought UMD has great fans and facilities. We just felt like GW was never really involved. How can you get an offer and never meet the head coach? We just moved on. We think GW is a heck of a coach, but when picking a school, the head coach is the most important factor as far as we are concerned.

So Maryland can sell players with the fan atmosphere and facilities. Heck, some people even feel that GW is a 'heck of a coach,' he just doesn't put forth enough effort to make it looks like he cares. That's when we are left with a team that's just happy to be able to compete, not even beat, teams like Miami and FSU.

If this is a guy they really wanted and were counting on, then its horrible.

If its someone they were only slightly interested in and thought they were probably wasting their time as he'd go elsewhere, then its still offputting, but not as bad.

I'm obviously not behind the scenes and I don't follow recruiting super-close, but my general criticism of the recruiting has more to do with the guys he chooses to go after or pass on than on his efforts once he starts recruiting. From the guys who really do follow recruiting around here, it sounds like Gary has stepped up the efforts in recent years even though the results haven't followed suit the past two classes.

If this is a guy they really wanted and were counting on, then its horrible.

If its someone they were only slightly interested in and thought they were probably wasting their time as he'd go elsewhere, then its still offputting, but not as bad.

I'm obviously not behind the scenes and I don't follow recruiting super-close, but my general criticism of the recruiting has more to do with the guys he chooses to go after or pass on than on his efforts once he starts recruiting. From the guys who really do follow recruiting around here, it sounds like Gary has stepped up the efforts in recent years even though the results haven't followed suit the past two classes.

Come on Mack, it's horrible either way. If your gonna take the time to invite a kid to your house and present an offer to play for your basketball team then at least meet the kid and his parents. The fact that they were presenting an offer should be proof enough that they wanted the kid. In fact, it seems that the way in which Maryland was presenting their official offer is what really turned the Marshall's off as well it should. I would never let my kid go to a program without meeting the head coach.

I mean I had always heard that Gary wasn't taking much time to go out and meet recruits on their turf in high school gyms and such but to not do it when you invite them into the Comcast Center as your guest and they take the time and effort to accept you invitation is beyond belief.

That's pathetic. Honestly, pathetic. There's no excuse for that. It's just lazy recruiting. I don't care if it's a top recruit or a bench player...he needs to at least make an appearance. Does he think Keith Booth will sweep them off their feet? IMO, it seems like Gary just wants to coach. He doesn't want to sell players on his school. He doesn't want to deal with players who are going to leave early. He just loves coaching. And that's fine...if you want to coach high school. In college, recruiting is probably more important than being an wiz with the playbook.

Here's a question I've wondered about.

Since these recruiting horror stories (this, the one from the kid who ended up at Syracuse) have only come out during the present downturn in the program's success, how was it back in the late-90s and the very early part of this decade? Was Williams the same kind of "anti-schmooze" coach then? Did something (Rudy Gay?) cause a major shift in how he recruited? Did other recruits experience the same issues back in 1998?

That's a story I'd like to see, instead of game-preview fluff or a post on a message board.

Here's a question I've wondered about.

Since these recruiting horror stories (this, the one from the kid who ended up at Syracuse) have only come out during the present downturn in the program's success, how was it back in the late-90s and the very early part of this decade? Was Williams the same kind of "anti-schmooze" coach then? Did something (Rudy Gay?) cause a major shift in how he recruited? Did other recruits experience the same issues back in 1998?

That's a story I'd like to see, instead of game-preview fluff or a post on a message board.

BTerp, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Gary backed off and let his staff handle the recruiting because he thought that they got through to the recruits better than he did. Maybe part of the reason behind hiring Booth?

It might've been from Cavanaugh on WNST.

I wish I could provide something more solid for ya.

BTerp, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Gary backed off and let his staff handle the recruiting because he thought that they got through to the recruits better than he did. Maybe part of the reason behind hiring Booth?

It might've been from Cavanaugh on WNST.

I wish I could provide something more solid for ya.

Thanks.

I'm still curious about WHEN, though. Is it the kind of thing that happened post-championship, like around the Rudy Gay fiasco, or has it been happening for a longer time?

And if it is from long enough ago, was losing four important assistants over a relatively short period (Hahn, Patsos, Dickenson and the guy who went to Vermont) without finding good-enough replacements part of the problem?

Thanks.

I'm still curious about WHEN, though. Is it the kind of thing that happened post-championship, like around the Rudy Gay fiasco, or has it been happening for a longer time?

And if it is from long enough ago, was losing four important assistants over a relatively short period (Hahn, Patsos, Dickenson and the guy who went to Vermont) without finding good-enough replacements part of the problem?

As a timeline reference it might've been around the time when Keith Booth was hired........so that would be 2004?

The assistants leaving might have something to do with it but I'm not sure from what I can recall.

That's right... Juan was unheralded... that's why you have to wait and see. That being said, this current team is embarrassing. I've waited out the cycles of talent post national championship... all of the recruiting flops and mistakes. And now we have this: There is almost zero athleticism on the floor and the overall talent is no where near where it needs to be. It's abysmal and, frankly, not even all that fun to watch. We've had season tickets in the family for over 19 years and the decline in the "in arena" excitement over the past 5 years has been more than noticeable. It's just BAD BASKETBALL right now. Bottom line.

I'd have to agree with anyone that says it is time for the school to settle up with Gary and move on to a coach that is more of a player's coach and a good recruiter. The past 5 years has been more than enough time to "fix" the problem. Now, the problem is not only un-fixed, but it is worse than ever.

I love the Terps... a long time die-hard fan... but if I was a high school kid and I looked at Williams, there is no way I'd want to play for him. All of his screaming, ranting tirades might appear amusing, but if you really look at it they are shocking and who would want that in their face all the time (?)... especially when there are so many other great coaches out there that run awesome programs without the constant screaming and profanity laced antics.

Williams needs to retire and the school needs to pull it's leverage of a good fan base and awesome facilities to lure a great coach to the area... a coach that is more in-tune with what is needed in the current times.

IT IS OVER. If you don't believe me, watch a re-run of the UVA vs. MD game on Comcast. High School Basketball on a college court. Then turn on a Top 25 game. The difference is striking.

I love the Terps... a long time die-hard fan... but if I was a high school kid and I looked at Williams, there is no way I'd want to play for him. All of his screaming, ranting tirades might appear amusing, but if you really look at it they are shocking and who would want that in their face all the time (?)... especially when there are so many other great coaches out there that run awesome programs without the constant screaming and profanity laced antics.

If you were a Maryland fan you would know that's not at all how Williams coaches. He yells at what is happening on the court, and at the coaches on the bench, but very rarely at the players themselves. Even on the bench, a lot of the discussion is between the assistants and the players.

And you know what? Players came here for 15 years with him coaching that way, so this is just an excuse for scapegoaters anyway.

I think Gary is a great on court coach. He gets the most out of his players probably better than anyone.

That said, I think he should examine his recruiting tactics. College basketball has gotten much more competitive and it seems the have-nots are begining to catch up with the haves.

I think it's fair to question some of his recruiting habits after his consecutive run of NIT appearances. I'm sure himself and the administration is as well.

If he can clean that up a little than I think Gary can continue at MD for a long time.

Archived