Maverick Handley 2023

emmett16

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles moved Florentino up from Delmarva where he was the 3rd catcher to Bowie to take Pavalony's spot.   I think Bemboom will share time with Handley and Kolozsvary is just going to be the emergency guy for now.   I also  have seen Kolozsvary and don't get it.   His offense is poor so I assumed he was a defensive guy but he hasn't impressed.

I would expect a 50/50 split between Benboom and Handley.  AAA gets to carry a big roster so Kolozsvary might only start once every 10 games or so.  He's just org depth.  

I finally followed the directions and was able to use BaseballSavant AAA Statcast data last night.  It was actually fun to watch a game with the data on the side.  Left pleasantly surprised and enthused about Maverick Handley having one of the top EV's.  Tides had 4 of top 5: Cowser 1st at 109.9, Stowers 3rd at 108.7, Ortiz 4th at 108.1 and Handley 5th at 107.9.  Seems like the time spent at Driveline is showing it's dividends in the metrics and hopefully will carry over to the SLG sooner than later.  I did hear on the broadcast last night that Nashville had/has the lowest ERA in league.  So I expect all the boys numbers to improve this week.

The other thing I had to check on Handley progression, is the consistency.  This has been called out before but as the numbers aren't flashy it is hard to notice.  

Handley has lowered is K rate and increased his BB rate the higher he goes.  His AVG, OBP, and WRC continues to rise every level.    I hear that Kolozsvary is a quality guy but I don't know what the O's see in his value as his numbers decline year over year since moving from AA to AAA.   At least his wRC+ isn't negative anymore.  Bemboom hasn't played but the 1 game for O's so can't tell what he is/isn't going to do.

I see no reason to take ABs away from Handley splitting time with Bemboom.  Perhaps Bemboom does get 2 games a week and 1 at DH?  Gotta have that 1 guy getting paid as the JIC.  Maybe that is Kolo's roll (or Bemboom) as I don't see the O's trying to develop their bats at this point.

Season  Team  Level    BB%    K%       AVG      OBP      SLG     wOBA    wRC+
HANDLEY    2019    BAL    A-           8%    36%    0.202    0.298    0.237    0.269      73
HANDLEY    2021    BAL    A+        12%    30%    0.201    0.316    0.337    0.300      83
HANDLEY    2022    BAL    AA        12%    21%    0.236    0.352    0.417    0.346    114
HANDLEY    2023    BAL    AAA      22%  15%   0.258    0.439    0.323    0.376    118

KOLO           2018    CIN    A            8%     25%    0.225    0.310    0.324    0.301      85
KOLO           2019    CIN    A+        13%     27%    0.188    0.341    0.321    0.324    108
KOLO           2021    CIN    AA        12%     31%    0.233    0.341    0.438    0.349    119
KOLO           2021    CIN    AAA        5%     34%    0.190    0.299    0.310    0.285      70
KOLO           2022    CIN    AAA        9%     31%    0.168    0.293    0.294    0.279      64
KOLO           2023    BAL    AAA        5%     33%    0.158    0.238    0.158    0.202        6

BEMBOOM  2022    BAL    AAA        7%     20%    0.228    0.292    0.350    0.289      70

Learning a lot of different opinions on this board.  Fun to observe and sometimes participate.  Just here for the Stanford Cardinal content and lots of folks talking about Stowers... so I'll keep my focus on my son's favorite and now mine too.  If Handley doesn't get his shot with the O's I think he will be helping someone next year.

• Upvote 2

On 4/19/2023 at 6:24 PM, CHIP said:

I finally followed the directions and was able to use BaseballSavant AAA Statcast data last night.  It was actually fun to watch a game with the data on the side.  Left pleasantly surprised and enthused about Maverick Handley having one of the top EV's.  Tides had 4 of top 5: Cowser 1st at 109.9, Stowers 3rd at 108.7, Ortiz 4th at 108.1 and Handley 5th at 107.9.  Seems like the time spent at Driveline is showing it's dividends in the metrics and hopefully will carry over to the SLG sooner than later.  I did hear on the broadcast last night that Nashville had/has the lowest ERA in league.  So I expect all the boys numbers to improve this week.

The other thing I had to check on Handley progression, is the consistency.  This has been called out before but as the numbers aren't flashy it is hard to notice.  

Handley has lowered is K rate and increased his BB rate the higher he goes.  His AVG, OBP, and WRC continues to rise every level.    I hear that Kolozsvary is a quality guy but I don't know what the O's see in his value as his numbers decline year over year since moving from AA to AAA.   At least his wRC+ isn't negative anymore.  Bemboom hasn't played but the 1 game for O's so can't tell what he is/isn't going to do.

I see no reason to take ABs away from Handley splitting time with Bemboom.  Perhaps Bemboom does get 2 games a week and 1 at DH?  Gotta have that 1 guy getting paid as the JIC.  Maybe that is Kolo's roll (or Bemboom) as I don't see the O's trying to develop their bats at this point.

Season  Team  Level    BB%    K%       AVG      OBP      SLG     wOBA    wRC+
HANDLEY    2019    BAL    A-           8%    36%    0.202    0.298    0.237    0.269      73
HANDLEY    2021    BAL    A+        12%    30%    0.201    0.316    0.337    0.300      83
HANDLEY    2022    BAL    AA        12%    21%    0.236    0.352    0.417    0.346    114
HANDLEY    2023    BAL    AAA      22%  15%   0.258    0.439    0.323    0.376    118

KOLO           2018    CIN    A            8%     25%    0.225    0.310    0.324    0.301      85
KOLO           2019    CIN    A+        13%     27%    0.188    0.341    0.321    0.324    108
KOLO           2021    CIN    AA        12%     31%    0.233    0.341    0.438    0.349    119
KOLO           2021    CIN    AAA        5%     34%    0.190    0.299    0.310    0.285      70
KOLO           2022    CIN    AAA        9%     31%    0.168    0.293    0.294    0.279      64
KOLO           2023    BAL    AAA        5%     33%    0.158    0.238    0.158    0.202        6

BEMBOOM  2022    BAL    AAA        7%     20%    0.228    0.292    0.350    0.289      70

Learning a lot of different opinions on this board.  Fun to observe and sometimes participate.  Just here for the Stanford Cardinal content and lots of folks talking about Stowers... so I'll keep my focus on my son's favorite and now mine too.  If Handley doesn't get his shot with the O's I think he will be helping someone next year.

Great post!   As you mentioned and noted above, he just steadily improves as he moves forward.  What's not to like about that?  He's been fun to follow.  Good ABs with some sleeper pop for a C. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/13/2023 at 7:52 PM, emmett16 said:

Handley with the elusive “Olympic Rings” or “platinum sombrero” tonight going 0/5 with 5ks.  Pretty hard & painful  to do.  Your team has to absolutely light up the opposing pitcher to even have a chance. 

Wow!  A lot can happen in a 34 days

Following Handley's 0-5 with 5K performance on 5/13, and the 10k on 15ABs in the 4 games vs JAX that week dropping him to Mendoza's front door at 0.200, then there must have been a talking to.  Went 4-9 with 2 Ks before going back on the IL May 19.  Assigned to Bowie and went 4-15 with a HR in his first AB back.  Also threw out both runners trying to steal.  I watched some of those games and the announcers were saying the umpires were the 3 lowest scoring (accuracy) of all AA.  The pitching was pretty wild.  None the less... did enough to get back to Norfolk this week.

Tuesday/Wednesday he has gone 3-7 with a 3B and I saw a 105 EV yesterday.  He also called Zimmerman's complete game shut out on Tuesday and on Weds had somewhere around a 1.9 CS on Hamilton who has 26 SB....  had him by a few feet. 

Overall, AVG is up to .250, OBP .400 and SLG still just .289 without any HRs in AAA.  Overall OPS is up to .689 and is throwing out 43% across AA/AAA.  I really am fascinated that in 188 innings with the NEW RULES opponents have only attempted 12 SB attempts at AAA.

Overall, I think he looks more patient, is looking to drive the outside pitches and leveling out his swing plane.  If he can stay off the IL, maybe there is a sliver that he gets a chance.  If not, if he passes thru Rule 5 again, there is only 1 more year before MiLB free agency for him.  But that also matches up with McCann contract time frame...???

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I updated the Catcher depth stats yesterday... but then read this.  

There are Handley supports/fans (I am one admittedly and repeatedly) and there are others on the other side of the coin.

David Hall's article in the Virginia Pilot yesterday (Link to full article at the very bottom).  He questioned Norby, Britton, and Handley.  Seems like no one knows what is going to happen but they all want to play and play in the MLB.  Doesn't really matter who provides that opportunity.

Tides catcher Maverick Handley, a former star at Stanford, has gotten to know Rutschman since being picked in the sixth round of the 2019 draft.

Ask Handley about Rutschman, a first-time All-Star this season, and he’s nothing but complimentary.

He’d prefer to someday be complementary.

“He’s going to be the guy,” Handley said. “I think you always need two catchers. I’m a big believer in that. I like to think that I can make it up here with the Orioles, especially as a guy that has relationships with the pitchers.”

Still, Handley and others realize that opportunities come in all shapes and sizes. It’s not at all uncommon for players to debut in the big leagues with organizations other than those by which they were drafted.

“At the end of the day, every guy in here and every guy that plays professional baseball, their goal is to play in the big leagues and to stay in the big leagues and play for a long time,” Norby said. “That is the ultimate, No. 1 goal. And that is something that I will say forever. That is the No. 1 goal, is to play in the big leagues. But you never know. Whatever happens, happens. But I’m not looking to that yet. I need to focus on myself and focus on my play.”

And that seems to be the prevailing attitude. The Orioles are in an enviable position, which puts their minor league prospects into one of provocative uncertainty.

“I think if I play good enough and they see the trade value in it, if I get shipped, I get shipped,” Handley said. “But I don’t really try thinking about it too much. I’m staying in the moment, staying present and going out and competing. Whoever notices, notices.

“Honestly, there’s really not that much talk about trades in the locker room. Nobody knows what Mike’s thinking. But you know whatever he’s thinking is probably going to be the best thing for the club.”

His answers are very baseball politically correct.  But what happens after this season?  Handley is Rule 5 Eligible this year and a MiLB free agent after next year.  I don't think anyone wants to be on a team stuck behind someone their entire career.  Assuming Adley stays healthy, that is the Handley's future with the O's.  My personal belief watching Adley's throw downs is that there is something wrong with his throwing arm.  I have no proof or conversations/reports to suggest as such, just going off of a gut instinct based on watching his throw downs.  This may be why his contract has not been rewritten (if it is not an Adley decision to not extend)

But... here is the big BUT...  If you are Handley (or his advisors/agents) and he is NOT traded or protected from the RULE 5 draft...  do you have conversations (are you allowed to have conversations) with certain teams where his skill set and/or his profile fits their team/ball park?  How hard would it be to tell a team that you will refund your first TWO weeks of pay if you cannot stay on their 26 man roster past the first two weeks of the year and the Orioles take you back if offered.  Here is my logic:  $100,000K to the Orioles from the Rule5 drafting team.  If he doesn't stick after Spring Training and 14 days, he will have earned $50,000.  Drafting team gets $50K from O's and $50K from Handley.  So for a team not happy with catcher #1 or #2... you could get all $100K back? 

Even if he doesn't stay he gets a hefty pay bump back in AAA and one more call up to 26 man and he is at a minimum of $120K.  More importantly, he is with a team that wants to give him the opportunity at MLB level.  

Maybe Handley is more patient than I am, and perhaps the bump in AAA pay helps, but I would be trying to get out of a shadow  especially when a team won't even let you see the MLB sunlight except from the Taxi Squad bench

3 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I think Mav is going to carve out a good career for himself.  I’d like him to force then to make a tough decision on McCann next year. 

It would be progress to see if the Orioles would be willing to eat McCann's contract next year if it's clear Handley is the obvious answer as backup catcher.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be progress to see if the Orioles would be willing to eat McCann's contract next year if it's clear Handley is the obvious answer as backup catcher.

Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening but I can see them making sure they keep Handley for insurance next year and he’d probably get some ML time, and eventually work his way into the 2025 backup.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening but I can see them making sure they keep Handley for insurance next year and he’d probably get some ML time, and eventually work his way into the 2025 backup.

If he’s killing it mid season, maybe they eat remaining salary for McCann.  Lotta ifs.  Nice to see him continuing to improve. 

53 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

If he’s killing it mid season, maybe they eat remaining salary for McCann.  Lotta ifs.  Nice to see him continuing to improve. 

I could see Handley taking a 40 man spot and coming up during injury times to start off, then taking McCann’s spot. If McCann is doing decent, Elias could ship him off at the tail end of a trade.

• Upvote 1

Handley went 0-3 yesterday in the 2nd half of the double header vs. Gwinett but he was a difference maker limiting the potential damage from McDermott's 6 walks in 5 innings.  Norfolk tweeted Handley's pick of Park at 1B and I had to rewatch the AB to see how he was set up to be sleeping.  (Norfolk's social media person is the worst of all the minors in my opinion by the way... I don't even know if they understand the game... but I digress)

Gwinett is the 2nd most aggressive running team in the International league and had also snagged 2 steals in game 1. 

With a 1-2 count, Handley called for McDermott to pick to 1B twice in a row.  Basically goading Park to take a bigger lead.  So much so Handley called for a pitch out and looks to have had the choice of going down to 2B but ultimately got him at 1B.  Handley's transfer time has to be one of his best tools.  The accuracy of the snap throw made this successful.

Kept the 'tide' from turning (and I will not be apologizing from my Puns anymore)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1