Maverick Handley 2023

emmett16

Maverick busted his butt in the off-season.  He is looking jacked and confident.  I don’t think it’s long before he gets the call.  He’s been hitting well in the early goings.  4-4 tonight with 2 doubles. Solid guy in the 9 hole for the Tides.    

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Maverick busted his butt in the off-season.  He is looking jacked and confident.  I don’t think it’s long before he gets the call.  He’s been hitting well in the early goings.  4-4 tonight with 2 doubles. Solid guy in the 9 hole for the Tides.    

I don't think there is a place for him on this season's roster without further injuries.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think there is a place for him on this season's roster without further injuries.

Agree it will require another McCann injury, but he should be able to replace 33y/o Benboom for the #3 spot.  If McCann struggles he’s next man up. 

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Agree it will require another McCann injury, but he should be able to replace 33y/o Benboom for the #3 spot.  If McCann struggles he’s next man up. 

It will be the injury more than struggling.  I think a healthy McCain gets a lot of rope.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What Handley can do is make himself a very good option to be our 2024 backup.  I don’t think he sees a major league field in 2023.   But I’m glad he’s off to a good start.   

I mistakenly assumed he was on the 40.  Guess it will be tough for him to make the show this year.  They will need to protect him next year.  There is a nice catching pipeline beginning to emerge.  

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I mistakenly assumed he was on the 40.  Guess it will be tough for him to make the show this year.  They will need to protect him next year.  There is a nice catching pipeline beginning to emerge.  

Indeed there is.

Anthony Bemboom

Maverick Handley

Samuel Basallo

Silas Ardoin

Samuel Basallo is the most highly ranked prospect of the group. But I have been impressed with Maverick Handley in Norfolk this year. He's been balling all out this season. Amazing stat line, and he even stole a base!

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Ideally McCann would show some life and the Orioles could trade him at the deadline to a team that needed a backup catcher and promote Handley.

I really hope they don't carry three catchers all season, such a waste of a roster spot.

Are you talking about the Orioles or the Tides carrying three catchers all season?  No chance the O’s will IMO.

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are you talking about the Orioles or the Tides carrying three catchers all season?  No chance the O’s will IMO.

Yeah, the Orioles. I hope not, but they mentioned it as a possibility when they initially signed McCann, that they viewed him as potentially a backup first-baseman which may necessitate a third catcher. 

Hopefully Bemboom goes down this week and O'Hearn, Lester or Diaz comes up instead, but I won't believe it until I see it.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, the Orioles. I hope not, but they mentioned it as a possibility when they initially signed McCann, that they viewed him as potentially a backup first-baseman which may necessitate a third catcher. 

Hopefully Bemboom goes down this week and O'Hearn, Lester or Diaz comes up instead, but I won't believe it until I see it.

It wouldn’t be too bad to have Adley, McCann and Handley all up in Baltimore. Let McCann mentor the two newbies for half a season while spelling Mountcastle at first.

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't think we will see Handley in the majors until July.   Elias likes his prospects to get 200 at bats at AAA.      Then if there is an injury to Adley or McAnn,   Handley could get a call up.

I like McCann's ceiling over what Handley brings, so ideally McCann bounces back.  But... depth is always good to have over the course of 162.  Nothing against Handley.  I'm rooting for the guy.  

Bemboom should be with Norfolk this week after the DFA.  How this impacts the catching is to be seen.

Handley went 0-12 with 5BB and only 3 K in Nashville.   If he were Henderson... folks would say be patient.  But he isn't Henderson.  The Tides seemed to adjust his schedule to be sure he caught Rom on Tuesday and Sunday.  Defensively he had Catcher's interference (same batter hit Kolozsvary next night as well so I had to look and the guy looked like he was glove hunting).  Handley also had the error throwing to 3rd on double steal but Cullen missed Handley's throw and the throw back in from LF.  So seems frustrations carried over some for him this series.

So how do the TIdes work in 3 catchers now?  Handley is 7-28 with 9BB and 5Ks while Kolozsvary just looks really bad at the plate and sub par behind it.   3-19 with 1BB and 7Ks.  AVG/OBP  0.158/0.238.   (which is worse than both his 2021 AAA season of 0.190/0.299 and 2022 AAA season of .0168/0.293

Can/should Kolozsvary be moved to Bowie while Pavolony is on IR?  There doesn't seem to be an option to put one of them at First or at DH with priority of ABs for other prospects.  Still have to have that 1 extra catcher for Travel Squad and just in case of injury at MLB.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CHIP said:

Bemboom should be with Norfolk this week after the DFA.  How this impacts the catching is to be seen.

Handley went 0-12 with 5BB and only 3 K in Nashville.   If he were Henderson... folks would say be patient.  But he isn't Henderson.  The Tides seemed to adjust his schedule to be sure he caught Rom on Tuesday and Sunday.  Defensively he had Catcher's interference (same batter hit Kolozsvary next night as well so I had to look and the guy looked like he was glove hunting).  Handley also had the error throwing to 3rd on double steal but Cullen missed Handley's throw and the throw back in from LF.  So seems frustrations carried over some for him this series.

So how do the TIdes work in 3 catchers now?  Handley is 7-28 with 9BB and 5Ks while Kolozsvary just looks really bad at the plate and sub par behind it.   3-19 with 1BB and 7Ks.  AVG/OBP  0.158/0.238.   (which is worse than both his 2021 AAA season of 0.190/0.299 and 2022 AAA season of .0168/0.293

Can/should Kolozsvary be moved to Bowie while Pavolony is on IR?  There doesn't seem to be an option to put one of them at First or at DH with priority of ABs for other prospects.  Still have to have that 1 extra catcher for Travel Squad and just in case of injury at MLB.

The Orioles moved Florentino up from Delmarva where he was the 3rd catcher to Bowie to take Pavalony's spot.   I think Bemboom will share time with Handley and Kolozsvary is just going to be the emergency guy for now.   I also  have seen Kolozsvary and don't get it.   His offense is poor so I assumed he was a defensive guy but he hasn't impressed.