McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Agree this is a litmus test if on the roster as Elias envisioned it if James McCann part of the "Top 9" against LHP.

I could imagine this Stowers sequence ending next weekend with Westburg on the roster, but we'll see who returns when Bemboom is cycled out.

I would be very surprised see Westburg so soon. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Agree this is a litmus test if on the roster as Elias envisioned it if James McCann part of the "Top 9" against LHP.

I could imagine this Stowers sequence ending next weekend with Westburg on the roster, but we'll see who returns when Bemboom is cycled out.

I don't think they will promote Westburg until he can get more at bats than this roster is likely to produce for him. They will promote one of the LH 1B types for pinch hitting and occasional DH starts. Whoever they promote is likely to rot on the bench a good bit. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Steve posted this is lineup thread. Exactly what we were talking about. 

Adley DHing in a day game after a night game?  Well yeah, that is the norm and hardly proof of anything.  If McCann wasn't back yet Adley would still likely DH today and we'd have to suck it up with Bemboom facing a lefty.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Adley DHing in a day game after a night game?  Well yeah, that is the norm and hardly proof of anything.  If McCann wasn't back yet Adley would still likely DH today and we'd have to suck it up with Bemboom facing a lefty.

Well I get your point but Bemboom isn’t playing. 

It's better to not think logically when it comes to the major league roster management of the Orioles. 

I'm not sure there's another organization in baseball that would play Vavra and McKenna over Stowers and now they'd rather have a 3rd string catcher who will rarely play. 

The only good news is this will allow Stowers to play everyday and hopefully allow him to play well and gain value in trade. He clearly will never play for this organization in any meaningful way despite the fact that all he's done since hitting AA is hit both right-handers and left-handers.

I've never seen a better player who was less valued by his organization. It really is puzzling, but then again, I've just come to the assessment that you can't think logically or use any common baseball analysis when it comes to how the Orioles will set up their major league roster.

It is what it is at this point and we just have to hope they're right and logic and common sense are wrong.

Kyle, some of us out here believe in you as a player. We realize he's not without fault and probably not a superstar, but he's going to be at least an average major league outfielder in this league for someone. Hopefully the Orioles lack of belief in him will not affect what they should seek in return for him in trade.

BTW, there is no way between Hays, Santander, Henderson, and Stowers they could not find fairly regular PAs for all. Henderson, who struggled against lefties in the minors is 0-for-3 with 3 Ks, and a walk in 4 PAs this year against them. Seems like Kyle could have started at DH against lefties, but yet Kyle couldn't sniff a PA against them despite the fact he hit them his entire minor league career.

Oh well. I hope Kyle doesn't pout when he goes down as this will be a big gut check for him. I'm sure it's been hard for him to understand why he's been treated this way and it's sometimes tough for guys like this to refind it in AAA. 

It would not overly surprise me if he struggles a bit, gets traded this offseason for scrap and then ends up putting in all together with an organization that will give him a true everyday opportunity at the big league level.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Well I guess we'll find out in a few days if that is the case.  But it does beg the question, why not just have that other lefty bat on the team from the start if you preferred him to Stowers?

Yes, I think this is the question. If they weren’t intending to play him, why have stowers on the team in the first place. But my guess is we get o’Hearn up in a few days. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Agree this is a litmus test on the roster as Elias envisioned it whether James McCann is part of the "Top 9" against LHP.

I could imagine this Stowers sequence ending next weekend with Westburg on the roster, but we'll see who arrives when Bemboom is cycled out.

Partly depends on how soon Bradish can come back. If that takes longer than expected and Given and Tate also don't come back soon enough, given the versatility provided by Urias, Henderson, Mateo, and Frazier (and Vavra in an emergency), I'd rather see another reliever up than Westburg.

4 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Yes, I think this is the question. If they weren’t intending to play him, why have stowers on the team in the first place. But my guess is we get o’Hearn up in a few days. 

This, I kinda wanna see.

Bring up O'Hearn, give him some ABs, show they like him more than Stowers.

This place might implode. 🤣