Drew Rom 2023

Frobby

One thing I’ve noticed about Rom over the years: he wins.  Consistently.  His career record is 29-10.  He’s had records of 6-3, 11-1, 8-3 and now 4-1 the last f four years.  I know wins are passé, but I like pitchers who win.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One thing I’ve noticed about Rom over the years: he wins.  Consistently.  His career record is 29-10.  He’s had records of 6-3, 11-1, 8-3 and now 4-1 the last f four years.  I know wins are passé, but I like pitchers who win.  

Ok.  You made me look up Jeff Ballard who was 65-37 in the minors.  41-53 in the majors.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  You made me look up Jeff Ballard who was 65-37 in the minors.  41-53 in the majors.

Grayson Rodriguez was 25-9 in the minors.  DL Hall is 11-21.   Dean Kremer was 23-21.  Tyler Wells was 20-14.  Kyle Bradish was 15-14.  

I’m not expecting Rom to be a great major league pitcher, but I won’t be surprised if he carves out a Zach Davies-type career.  (For the record, Davies was 30-35 as a minor leaguer.)

I dislike that so many want to totally ignore wins. I grew up following wins and watching Orioles' pitchers working to get to 20.  I still hate to see our pitchers taken out with a lead in the fifth inning. I'd like to see Rom get to 10 by the break and see what happens. Since there's no hurry to bring him up, who know what he might accomplish this year.

1 minute ago, Orioles0615 said:

At what point do they give Rom a chance? He has thrown 69 innings at AAA. Is it 100 innings? 

In terms of innings in AAA, he’s probably had about enough.  It doesn’t seem like Rom is that highly regarded.  However, he is on the 40-man roster, and it’s pretty rare for a pitcher on the 40-man not to get a chance to pitch sometime during the season, even if it’s just an emergency spot start or relief stint.   So, I’m guessing Rom will make his debut this year, but it may not mean an opportunity to be inserted into the rotation.  

@Tony-OHhas identified Rom’s flaws in the past, and hopefully he’s working on those things (principally, developing a good changeup, IIRC).   He’s never going to blow anyone away with his stuff, so he’ll need a full repertoire and good command to make any noise.  

Anyway, he’s an underdog and I tend to root for those guys.  

• Upvote 1

I do have some hope for Rom based on what I'll call the Mancini-Means-Mullins precedents.     Really just that its a good marker if from ages 21-25, or 18-23 if you are a prep, if you can spend five solid years crafting your life mastery of the game of baseball, things can turn out pleasantly.

I assume Rom is from the tribe of pitchers who the way I think of it basically don't throw hard enough to hurt themselves.

Randy Arozarena is anxious to see your strikes.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So, let's take a look at Rom's stuff. The question is whether Rom is just another soft tossing lefty that can get AAA hitters out similar to Lowther, T. Wells or Zimmerman or if he's something else?

I'll work on his other pitches tomorrow in comparison to MLB pitches but the fastball looks to be in some trouble unless he's able to spot it real well consistently. He won't get away with many mistakes.

I've never really been on the Rom-wagon.  But being a GB heavy LHP in the new OPACY increases his odds!  I do think he's better than Lowther and Zimmerman.  Not sure about T. Wells.  Rom strikes me as the SP version of Vavra.  Vavra-type hitters need to keep pitchers honest with enough offense.  Rom-type pitchers need to be precise with their command to limit the damage.

I'm interested in comps on his sinker.  Especially with that type of horizontal movement.  With the swing path/LA approach of today's hitters, the traditional sinker can have issues.  But that horizontal movement could be a difference maker for him.

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I've never really been on the Rom-wagon.  But being a GB heavy LHP in the new OPACY increases his odds!  I do think he's better than Lowther and Zimmerman.  Not sure about T. Wells.  Rom strikes me as the SP version of Vavra.  Vavra-type hitters need to keep pitchers honest with enough offense.  Rom-type pitchers need to be precise with their command to limit the damage.

I'm interested in comps on his sinker.  Especially with that type of horizontal movement.  With the swing path/LA approach of today's hitters, the traditional sinker can have issues.  But that horizontal movement could be a difference maker for him.

Despite my little half-serious rant, I'm going to go do the analysis on the other pitches. The sinker is interesting because he drops down to a different arm angle when he throws it and seems to have good success with the pitch. I don't think he can stop throwing the 4-seamer because he needs to match the arm angle and release point with his sweeper and change for them to have any affect. 

I did also see that he threw a couple of changeups at the same arm angle as the sinker giving that angle two different breaks though the change is still well below average because he can't command it.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Despite my little half-serious rant, I'm going to go do the analysis on the other pitches. The sinker is interesting because he drops down to a different arm angle when he throws it and seems to have good success with the pitch. I don't think he can stop throwing the 4-seamer because he needs to match the arm angle and release point with his sweeper and change for them to have any affect. 

I did also see that he threw a couple of changeups at the same arm angle as the sinker giving that angle two different breaks though the change is still well below average because he can't command it.

Toss in a few touchy/feely words and gratuitous click-bait too!  ;) 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Drop down sinker-change combo sounds like what Cano is doing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Ha, I spend an hour last night researching and analyzing the statcast information on Rom's stuff and researching pitchers with a similar fastball, provide the data with charts, and get one react and the follow on comments are talking about wins in the minors and Frobby's feelings on rooting for underdogs (which got as many reacts as mine.) My mistake. I must be doing this wrong! lol

Let me try this then. Rom wins a lot of games and is an underdog guy! I love him and want him to do good!

Sweet, just saved myself hours of research over the rest of his stuff and can move on. 

I’ll be honest, I hadn’t seen your detailed post when I posted my vague nonsense. I must have been writing mine while you posted yours.  You’ll notice I did mention that you specified Rom’s weaknesses in the past.  Your analysis of his FB is very interesting and I for one would be very interested to see a similar analysis of the  rest of his repertoire, especially the change-up, which I I know you weren’t impressed with last year.  

Edited by Frobby

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be honest, I hadn’t seen your detailed post when I posted my vague nonsense. I must have been writing mine while you posted yours.  You’ll notice I did mention that you specified Rom’s weaknesses in the past.  Your analysis of his FB is very interesting and I for one would be very interested to see a similar analysis of the  rest of his repertoire, especially the change-up, which I I know you weren’t impressed with last year.  

I honestly didn't think that you did, but I just thought it was kind of funny. I'm going to get to the other pitches soon. Honestly, I'm doing this as much for me to understand him as anything.