Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

56 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Just because you don’t have anything to prove in the minors doesn’t mean you still can’t go down if you are struggling at major league level.  Mike Trout came up in the Angels at end of 2011 and struggled some.  He then got out of the gate for 2012 on a slow start wear he admitted he pressed to show people his talent.  They sent him down for 3 weeks and then he played well there and he was brought back up and took off.  He has said that short stint in AAA in 2012 was one of biggest factors in his player development.  

1) Trout was a few years younger than Gunnar.

2) Those 77 at bats in AAA were the only AAA at bats he had. He went from AA to the majors.

Gunnar has 250 AAA at bats.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, he should be hitting 8th or 9th.

Batting him and Mountcastle back to back is criminal.

Mountcastle has been one of the better hitters the last 10 games on the team.  Hitting over.300 and Ops over .800.  The last week he is over.360 and OPS over 1.200 he is least of our concerns at this time.  Mountcastle and Santander are the two guys carrying the offense right now.  The last week they both have over 20 total bases each, Mullins at 10 is only other hitter in double digits.  

• Upvote 1

Gunnar’s development is important as he’s a big part of our plans long-term. Whether he has anything to learn in the minors or not, he’s not helping us win now. We’re contenders and should be playing our best roster possible. I don’t believe that includes Gunnar until he figures his bat out.

I realize Gunnar’s had a tough few days, but I keep returning to the point that his offensive performance as measured by wOBA or wRC+ is right around major league average, even though his BA is really low.  That’s one reason I think we just stick it out with him.  Rough day today, though.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

I realize Gunnar’s had a tough few days, but I keep returning to the point that his offensive performance as measured by wOBA or wRC+ is right around major league average, even though his BA is really low.  That’s one reason I think we just stick it out with him.  Rough day today, though.  

Let’s see if he keeps up his walk rate when teams stop fearing him. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Did they ever start fearing him?  

Likely at the beginning of the year when he was coming off killing it when he came up last year.  Part of why he walks is because he swings and misses so much.  I am rooting for him and would give him a little more leash, but I am concerned that he is frustrated and that is making things worse.  Maybe a quick trip down to AAA to get right wouldn’t be the end of the world. 

Edited by baltfan

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he thinks switching positions isn't ideal why does he have guys up and down the organization doing it?

Look, I agree with you, but speaking for ME, IMHO he values the versatility in the minors. I don't believe ME wants Gunnar moved around at the MLB level, I think that is on Hyde amd I think it has caused Gunnar a problem.

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

Look, I agree with you, but speaking for ME, IMHO he values the versatility in the minors. I don't believe ME wants Gunnar moved around at the MLB level, I think that is on Hyde amd I think it has caused Gunnar a problem.

Wouldn't Elias just tell Hyde to stop if he thought it was a problem? I think all indicators suggest that Elias and Hyde are very much on the same page. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Let’s see if he keeps up his walk rate when teams stop fearing him. 

I hope that’s the case.  That increases proof positive evidence.  Either he swings and damages strikes or he strikes out (literally and figuratively) and doesn’t get a pass.

For the record, I’m still in favor on letting him play through, what I think is, the adjustment phase.

This season is about winning and getting to the playoffs. Gunnar isn't helping the offense reach that goal. Today he struck out with the bases loaded, the last 2 pitches were 92 mph fastballs right down the middle. If he can't hit those pitches, something might need to be done to get him straightened out. 

Maybe platoon him with Urias at 3B? Maybe bring up Westburg to take ABs against lefties?

59 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Wouldn't Elias just tell Hyde to stop if he thought it was a problem? I think all indicators suggest that Elias and Hyde are very much on the same page. 

I am probably alone on this island but I don't think ME and Sig give Hyde the lineup, just a lot of matchup analyses and suggestions. I agree they seem to be on the same page mostly but I believe Hyde gets to play his hunches. I don't think ME would dictate who to play where for a game. If ME thinks one of his prospect assets is being tarnished (Stowers IMO) he demotes him to get regular PT. When Givens is ready it should show who ME values. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

I am rooting for him and would give him a little more leash, but I am concerned that he is frustrated and that is making things worse.   

I agree with that. His facial expressions after he strikes out clearly show that he is frustrated.