Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

How has Gunnar acted like a "spoiled child"?   You can see the frustration at times but I think he's handling things about how I would expect him to.

He hasn’t..that’s why the argument is so foolish but this guy just comes on here and throws poop against the wall to see if it will stick.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

He is 21, but the league is 28. My employer doesn't tolerate of approve of bad behavior by its youngest employees and neither should MLB. Somebody should remind Gunnar that he is a professional ballplayer and not in a beer league. He needs to focus on his next AB and stop whining. 

Ah, the old "my employer doesn't like it, so MLB should feel the same way," logic.

I love it when people compare their jobs to professional baseball players.  It's great.

When the team is 31-16 some people need to find something to complain about.  Cal Ripken was hitting less than 200 in early May in 1982 and won rookie of the year.  Nick Markakis was also hitting below 200 in early May.  Lets see how it plays out.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Gunnar has done nothing but try his best to be a good player for this franchise and say all of the right things about his teammates and the organization. He's not showing up his coaches or teammates. He's frustrated by himself and by the absolutely awful institution of baseball umpires.

The Toronto series umps brought back the floating strike zone.  It was brutal.

Mendoza Line cleared opening the big week with Anthony Volpe and Josh Jung.

Masataka Yoshida running good, but I do feel his voter support could be soft if the Red Sox fade.    Other side of that coin, Esteury Ruiz with 80 steals could make some old guys sentimental.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Completely non- competitive against lefties right now.  Plenty of time to figure it out but it's troubling just how bad he is against them. 

The good thing is we have some guys in the minors that would not be a terrible platoon for him vs some lefties and can play some other positions to get solid number of at bats each week.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

The good thing is we have some guys in the minors that would not be a terrible platoon for him vs some lefties and can play some other positions to get solid number of at bats each week.  

Urías is not good enough to start vs. all lefties?

Send him down. He’s not walking anymore. There are other guys who could help us right now. It’s no different than the situation with Grod. If we are in win-now mode, it’s time for someone else to get a shot to produce. 

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

Send him down. He’s not walking anymore. There are other guys who could help us right now. It’s no different than the situation with Grod. If we are in win-now mode, it’s time for someone else to get a shot to produce. 

Going into today he had an .821 OPS over his last 14 days and .744 over the last 28 days.  Do we really expect Westburg or Ortiz to produce better than that?  Sit him against tough lefties otherwise I'd keep trotting him out there everyday. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joelala said:

He had an OPS+ of 102 going into today.  He’s been worth 0.7 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR.  GRod’s ERA+ was 58 when he was sent down.  He’d been worth -0.9 rWAR, -0.3 fWAR.  Those two situations are not at all alike.