Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

You guys are funny with the Yoda gifs. 😄

As far as Gunnar goes, I hope he serves as a prime example to all fans who are hyper reactionary to young players/prospects and projecting their development.

He was not a #1 rated prospect in the sport by accident. But as we have seen now with several instances in the modern game, even the best/most talented of prospects take time to adjust to this level. Rarely do guys come up now a days and just crush it out of the gate. The modern game in most instances just doesn't work like that.

My hope is now that he has it going and appears to have made the necessary adjustments to become an impact player, that we would bring up the next best guy... hopefully Cowser. But I wouldn't expect anything different from him in terms of adjustments required for success and time it will take for him to adjust at this level.

Watching things click for Gunnar I hope is a lesson for posters/fans who believe that Cowser/Westburg/who ever can just come to the bigs and out produce more experienced players. The chances for their immediate success is very small.

Even though it can be frustrating at times with how methodical Elias is/moves, it appears little by little to be paying off. I think we can see that he has been right with not loading a winning roster with a bunch of young guys/rookies at one time.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Watching things click for Gunnar I hope is a lesson for posters/fans who believe that Cowser/Westburg/who ever can just come to the bigs and out produce more experienced players. The chances for their immediate success is very small.

Gee whiz Paw.... thanks for learnin us our lessons.

🥺

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You guys are funny with the Yoda gifs. 😄

As far as Gunnar goes, I hope he serves as a prime example to all fans who are hyper reactionary to young players/prospects and projecting their development.

He was not a #1 rated prospect in the sport by accident. But as we have seen now with several instances in the modern game, even the best/most talented of prospects take time to adjust to this level. Rarely do guys come up now a days and just crush it out of the gate. The modern game in most instances just doesn't work like that.

My hope is now that he has it going and appears to have made the necessary adjustments to become an impact player, that we would bring up the next best guy... hopefully Cowser. But I wouldn't expect anything different from him in terms of adjustments required for success and time it will take for him to adjust at this level.

Even though it can be frustrating at times with how methodical Elias is/moves, it appears little by little to be paying off. I think we can see that he has been right with not loading a winning roster with a bunch of young guys/rookies at one time.

Corbin Carroll seems to be doing OK.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carroco02.shtml

Struggling isn't a certainly either.

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

Gee whiz Paw.... thanks for learnin us our lessons.

🥺

Lol... But what from the statement was not factual?

Just do a quick look around the game, most of even the very top prospects have taken time to adjust/acclimate to the Bigs. Very few have found immediate success.

I have been asking posters who have been advocating for certain guys to be replaced by prospects, who cite that prospects AA/AAA numbers as proof that they would be an immediate improvement over the guys currently on the roster; what makes you think that player X would succeed immediately where Gunnar who is more talent than all of them (save for Holliday) struggled initially?  

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Just do a quick look around the game, most of even the very top prospects have taken time to adjust/acclimate to the Bigs. Very few have found immediate success.

I have been asking posters who have been advocating for certain guys to be replaced by prospects, who cite that prospects AA/AAA numbers as proof that they would be an immediate improvement over the guys currently on the roster; what makes you think that player X would succeed immediately where Gunnar who is more talent than all of them (save for Holliday) struggled initially?  

It's not worth rehashing it for the millionth time, but not all prospects/rookies react the same. And no, it doesn't matter what their prospect status is at the time of the call up.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Corbin Carroll seems to be doing OK.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/carroco02.shtml

Struggling isn't a certainly either.

You do know that he is an exception right? ... I know that you do know that, but just like to poke holes in statements for argument's sake.

But the norm nowadays is the path that Adley, Gunnar, Grayson, Witt Jr, JRod, Volpe, Harris II, Torkelson, F Alveraz, and many others have taken.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There will be an adjustment period for all players entering MLB.

The piper will be paid.

Perpetually delaying the advancement of good rookie players for lesser but experienced MLB vets does nothing to change that equation.

It simply worsens the impending pileup.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

It's not worth rehashing it for the millionth time, but not all prospects/rookies react the same. And no, it doesn't matter what their prospect status is at the time of the call up.

The overwhelming majority of young players coming to the majors for the first time struggle. See Adley, Gunnar, Grayson, Witt Jr, JRod, Volpe, Harris II, Torkelson, F Alveraz, just to name a few for examples.

There are far fewer examples of guys who come up and rake or pitch very well right out of the gate in the modern game. 

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

There will be an adjustment period for all players entering MLB.

The piper will be paid.

Perpetually delaying the advancement of good rookie players for lesser but experienced MLB vets does nothing to change that equation.

It simply worsens the impending pileup.

I respect that validity of that perspective. I believe that Elias has tried to measure things in a way so that he doesn't cause negative impact on the club winning. 

It appears that the "one prospect at a time" approach is what he is doing and from the results that we have gotten, I can't say that he is wrong. 

Now that Gunnar has it going, I expect Elias to bring up the next prospect either Cowser or Westburg. But I don't see him bringing both at the same time.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

The overwhelming majority of young players coming to the majors for the first time struggle. See Adley, Gunnar, Grayson, Witt Jr, JRod, Volpe, Harris II, Torkelson, F Alveraz, just to name a few for examples.

There are far fewer examples of guys who come up and rake or pitch very well right out of the gate in the modern game. 

There are far fewer examples of any players that come up and ever rake or pitch very well.  I'm not at all certain everyone on your list will qualify in that regard.

The Braves have had a couple guys come up and play well out of the gate.

Every player is different and we shouldn't look at Gunnar and assume Jordan will follow his path.  He'll have his own path.

It just seems to me that folks are using Gunnar's transition period as an excuse to support the team's reticence to promote players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

They have to be better than the player they are replacing...not be ROY candidates right away.