Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s good to remember that we’re still at a point in the season where two good days can raise your OPS by 57 points and two bad ones can drop it by 63 points.  Both those things happened to Gunnar just within the last four games.   

Yea I looked at his stats, and I think he only has 3 multi hit games. If he has a 3 hit game it would probably raise his numbers by a lot. 

10 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Yea I looked at his stats, and I think he only has 3 multi hit games. If he has a 3 hit game it would probably raise his numbers by a lot. 

Santander raised his OPS 153 points last week.   That’s the kind of stuff you see this time of year.   

Now, if Gunnar would just oblige us with a hot streak.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Santander raised his OPS 153 points last week.   That’s the kind of stuff you see this time of year.   

Now, if Gunnar would just oblige us with a hot streak.   

Now would be the best time. We could really use it. Especially after they left so many runners on base in the last couple games.

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

Is there some way to find out what percentage of the time Gunnar swings at the first strike thrown to him?  

I don’t think so.  I don’t think the link emmet16 posted lists that, and I’m not aware of that information being available anywhere else.  We do know the following:

- Gunnar swings at the 1st pitch only 26.1% of the time (25.0% last year).

- Gunnar swings at only 19.8% of pitches outside the strike zone (23.2% last year).

- Gunnar swings at strikes only 60.3% of the time (67.3% last year).  

- Gunnar has put the first pitch in play only 5.2% of the time (9.1% last year).

- 35.0% of all strikes on Gunnar have been looking (31.3% last year).

- Gunnar has been down in the count 0-1 in 55.6% of his PA (47.8.% last year).

- Gunnar has been down in the count 0-2 in 20.0% of his PA (20.5% last year).

- Gunnar has struck out looking 11 times, out of 36 total strikeouts (9.6% of his PA) (7.6% last year).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think so.  I don’t think the link emmet16 posted lists that, and I’m not aware of that information being available anywhere else.  We do know the following:

- Gunnar swings at the 1st pitch only 26.1% of the time (25.0% last year).

- Gunnar swings at only 19.8% of pitches outside the strike zone (23.2% last year).

- Gunnar swings at strikes only 60.3% of the time (67.3% last year).  

- Gunnar has put the first pitch in play only 5.2% of the time (9.1% last year).

- 35.0% of all strikes on Gunnar have been looking (31.3% last year).

- Gunnar has been down in the count 0-1 in 55.6% of his PA (47.8.% last year).

- Gunnar has been down in the count 0-2 in 20.0% of his PA (20.5% last year).

- Gunnar has struck out looking 11 times, out of 36 total strikeouts (9.6% of his PA) (7.6% last year).

The strike zone recognition taught in the minors is great, but I think there is going to need to be some approach adjustment in the majors.  If you are just only swinging against pitches you can do damage against, that isn’t going to work so well in the majors against good pitching.  I suspect Gunnar is going to have to expand the pitches in the zone he will swing at.  I am not suggesting he swing at the best pitcher’s pitches in the zone, but maybe expand what he considers a good pitch in the zone.  It’s really difficult to hit behind in the count in the majors and you invite the nastiest stuff.  He needs to swing at the first pitch more often as well.  He shouldn’t be so predictable.  Pitchers, especially good ones, will take advantage. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

It is nice that we now have a 40 man spot open for Westburg for when we finally send this dude down for a reset.

I find your hatred for Gunnar entertaining.  It is going to be the mission of the OH to get an apology letter from him for kicking your dog or whatever it was he did to hurt you.

22 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The strike zone recognition taught in the minors is great, but I think there is going to need to be some approach adjustment in the majors.  If you are just only swinging against pitches you can do damage against, that isn’t going to work so well in the majors against good pitching.  I suspect Gunnar is going to have to expand the pitches in the zone he will swing at.  I am not suggesting he swing at the best pitcher’s pitches in the zone, but maybe expand what he considers a good pitch in the zone.  It’s really difficult to hit behind in the count in the majors and you invite the nastiest stuff.  He needs to swing at the first pitch more often as well.  He shouldn’t be so predictable.  Pitchers, especially good ones, will take advantage. 

I agree with this.  But, I’d rather teach a disciplined hitter how and when to expand his cone than try to teach discipline to an undisciplined hitter.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I find your hatred for Gunnar entertaining.  It is going to be the mission of the OH to get an apology letter from him for kicking your dog or whatever it was he did to hurt you.

I don't hate him. I would just like to see him produce, and he hasn't for quite some time, going back to last season following his hot start.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don't hate him. I would just like to see him produce, and he hasn't for quite some time, going back to last season following his hot start.

I hear ya, I think it will start clicking here again soon and once it does it should be a lot of fun to watch.  It took Julio Rodriguez a little while to get it going last year.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with this.  But, I’d rather teach a disciplined hitter how and when to expand his cone than try to teach discipline to an undisciplined hitter.  

Absolutely, but I wouldn't be surprised if it results in Orioles prospects generally starting a little more slowly in the majors.