The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nobody said it doesn’t hurt.   Nobody is pretending that.  It’s just not insurmountable.  Like I said, even a bad closer converts 75% of his save opportunities.  Kevin Gregg.  Mike Timlin.  Jorge Julio was 82-83%. There’s probably 11ish closer save opportunities remaining.  We might blow 2-3 more saves.  We might have some that are more stressful than they would have been with Felix.  We might have a game or two where we wish Cano had been available to cover the 8th inning instead of the 9th.  Like tonight’s game.  But the team can fight through it.  

This is pretty accurate. There's some real "sky is falling" going on here. Realistically, if Bautista is out for the season we might lose an additional game or two during the regular season.

The playoffs is where it might hurt more.

9 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

The team is very good... even without Bautista.  But to say Bautista is just "one reliever" is like saying Brooks Robinson was just "one infielder."  To pretend the loss of Felix doesn't hurt is just wishful thinking.     

Who the hell is saying it doesn't hurt??? The poster I was replying to literally said we'd be lucky to go .500 the rest of the way because we don't have Felix now.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

+33 is the highest the O’s have been since 1997.  That team climbed all the way to +39 before coasting in the last few weeks and finishing +34.  

I’m hoping we can coast. That year the Yankees actually made a little run on the Orioles late. Only possible thing it would hurt this year would be home field in WS vs Atlanta. 

We lost the season series to them and I doubt we can catch them anyway. 

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I’m hoping we can coast. That year the Yankees actually made a little run on the Orioles late. Only possible thing it would hurt this year would be home field in WS vs Atlanta. 

We certainly can't coast.  We aren't nearly far enough of Tampa to do that.  More at stake right now than home field in the WS.

On 8/27/2023 at 7:24 AM, Frobby said:

+33 is the highest the O’s have been since 1997.  That team climbed all the way to +39 before coasting in the last few weeks and finishing +34.  

"Coasting" is a charitable way of putting it. They were scuffling, trying to hang on to the "wire-to-wire" for dear life.