Cade Povich 2023

Getz

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Povich is not Rule 5 eligible until after next season so it would definitely be out of character for Elias to add him to the 40 man a year early, but we are now in a different position than we’ve been for the rest of his tenure. If they think he would be an asset out of the pen in the stretch run, he could be an option.

It’s unlikely we’ll need him as a SP with Irvin as depth and Means on his way, but Povich is probably next on the list (perhaps behind “bullpen game” and maybe Rom). 

I’m more interested in when they will try Rom as a RP. His AAA K rates are great and he doesn’t look like a SP without a proper CH, but he could be a good RP. He’s already on the 40-man. Makes sense that they’d want him starting through the trade deadline as a potential trade chip, but if he stays in the org he should get a look as a RP before the season is through.

Similar story for McDermott as well, although he is not eligible for Rule 5 until after 2024, like Povich. 

Given that neither Jackson Holliday or Kjerstad are on the 40 man, I can't imagine why he would add someone early.  There is no point to it.  You can always add to the 40 when you want to call up.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s a pretty simple answer…they just don’t feel he has anything left to prove in AA.

People seem to get this idea that the only way to get promoted is by being great all the time. It’s just not true

No, but I like to see a guy have streaks of greatness (or very goodness) even if they don’t do it all time.  Povich literally never had two excellent starts in a row.  

I’m not arguing against his promotion.  I’m just explaining why I find him frustrating.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, but I like to see a guy have streaks of greatness (or very goodness) even if they don’t do it all time.  Povich literally never had two excellent starts in a row.  

I’m not arguing against his promotion.  I’m just explaining why I find him frustrating.  

He certainly didn’t dominate.  Dominating requires consistency and he hasn’t been that.  No problem with the promotion though.  I like it.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I find Povich frustrating as well but the strikeouts are something to be happy about at AAA.  I just feel like he’s still got a long way to go but he is a starter chip.  McDermott looks reliever only.

I think we are going to get some interesting B guys up to Bowie now.   Pham is there.  Cameron Weston and/or Daniel Lloyd could be next.  And now we have 4-5 pitchers at Delmarva who should start at Aberdeen next year in Portes, Cruz, DeLeon, and Chace.  Then we have our wildcard rehab guys like Brnovich, Brandon Young, and Baumler.   Then the 2003 draft class.    We’re still a bit behind in the pitching area.

Keep an eye on DeLeon. Tall and lanky Left-hander with a quick arm who is up to 95 now and throwing strikes. He is a nice story on the pitching side.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Given that neither Jackson Holliday or Kjerstad are on the 40 man, I can't imagine why he would add someone early.  There is no point to it.  You can always add to the 40 when you want to call up.

I meant he’d have to be added to the 40 early if they wanted to call him up this year. Since he doesn’t have to be added to the 40 to protected from the Rule 5 until after 2024, that decreases the odds of him making an MLB appearance this season as a RP or spot SP before going back to SP in AAA next year. 

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I meant he’d have to be added to the 40 early if they wanted to call him up this year. Since he doesn’t have to be added to the 40 to protected from the Rule 5 until after 2024, that decreases the odds of him making an MLB appearance this season as a RP or spot SP before going back to SP in AAA next year. 

I wasn't suggesting a call up to the Majors was likely but it is the type of move a team in the playoff rush can make.

Bring up a high K guy to fortify the pen.  I can see it and the 40 man roster shouldn't be a deal breaker if there is a legitimate need.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't suggesting a call up to the Majors was likely but it is the type of move a team in the playoff rush can make.

Bring up a high K guy to fortify the pen.  I can see it and the 40 man roster shouldn't be a deal breaker if there is a legitimate need.

Agreed.  Not likely but an option if needed.

Watching his Norfolk debut.  Has some nice breaking stuff and changeup but the command was off and the fastball was 90-92.  I didn’t see anything higher than 92 and I saw more 90 than 92.   He’s got the back foot breaking pitch to RH batters if he can get ahead.  I’d guess that’s how he racks up the K’s.

Top 3rd he walked the bases loaded and tried to throw a 2-2 fastball past Keaton Hiura.   A letter high fastball at 90.  A no doubt about it grand slam to CF.  Knocked out!

• Upvote 1