10% of the season

wildcard

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

My instinct is you are right, though the stats are mixed.  The team ERA is 5.27, but the FIP is 4.53.    On the other hand the opposing hitters have a .340 xwOBA compared to a .342 wOBA, which is a trivial difference.   But watching the games and duly making note of the good and bad defensive plays, my gut tells me that though only 4 “unearned” runs have been scored, the impact has been much greater.  

One play that is missed in the field is another opportunity for a pitcher to get hung up in a 10+ pitch AB. 

I expect the defense to improve and think the pitching would follow suit. At least a bit better than what the starters have been this far.

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Yep, both Stoic looking white guys, one syllable names starting with K, with last names ending -son, 100 ERA+ types on one year deals. Hard not to get them confused (if indeed they are different players, which I am not convinced of).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yep, both Stoic looking white guys, one syllable names starting with K, with last names ending -son, 100 ERA+ types on one year deals. Hard not to get them confused (if indeed they are different players, which I am not convinced of).

Benson wasn’t on a one-year deal.

I'm not about to say that Mateo is going to put up a Bonds/Ripken '91 season, but his statcast numbers are pretty bonkers right now.  If he maintains even half of that he's like an all-star starter level player.

Edited by Hallas

8 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I like the possibilities of our bullpen especially with returning players from injury and if the Ynoa can be a true 8th inning guy.

I don't like spoiling things for time travellers from the past... but we're in 2023 here. 

You'll need to go back to 2019, when Gabriel Ynoa was last on the team, to discuss how he didn't become a true 8th inning guy. 

Oh, and you might want to stock up on toilet paper when you get back... definitely don't wait longer than very early 2020.  No reason.

16 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I don't like spoiling things for time travellers from the past... but we're in 2023 here. 

You'll need to go back to 2019, when Gabriel Ynoa was last on the team, to discuss how he didn't become a true 8th inning guy. 

Oh, and you might want to stock up on toilet paper when you get back... definitely don't wait longer than very early 2020.  No reason.

LOL 😆 😂… I meant Cano. I don’t know what I was typing there!!! I was in between meetings at work and tried to sneak a post in…lol

• Haha 1

I imagine the pitching will improve.  Means comes back, GRod will continue to improve, and they HAVE to make a deal for a SP at the deadline.  Burnes, GRod, & Means through the playoffs baby!   As crazy as it sounds, I think the offense could actually improve.  These guys are young and just about to step into their prime.  Gunnar, Santander and Urias  havn’t produced much yet.   Mullins is just getting started.  I think Moutcastle, Adley, & Hays are about who they are right now.  Frazier can be upgraded.  Mateo is the wild card.  There are offensive weapons waiting in the wings in AAA to step in and produce if someone falls off a cliff.  

Edited by emmett16