Praising Hyde Thread 2023

Aristotelian

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I want to say Manager of the Year for Brandon Hyde, but I also want to wait until after the Playoffs to say it. Because I've seen this song and dance before with Buck Showalter. I admired Buck and I thought he was a great Manager. And then he made one boneheaded decision by not giving his dominant closer the ball in the playoffs which cost the Orioles the entire season.

Still a long ways to go before objectives and goals are accomplished.

MoY is based on regular season accomplishments like MVP and Cy Young.  Hyde is runaway winner, IMO.

Since I am often critical of Hyde's bullpen decisions, I have to give him credit for being willing to mix and match Cano and Perez in the 9th inning depending on the situation.  It would be so easy for Hyde to cling to the security blanket of "Cano is my ninth inning guy", but last night it made perfect sense to let Cano handle the bottom of the order in the 8th and Perez to handle the lefties at the top of Cleveland's lineup in the 9th.  

I still suffer from PTSD from Buck declining to bring in Britton and pitching Jimenez instead. For that reason, I keep thinking that I don't want to see a similar mistake happen in the playoffs with Brandon Hyde. But if he sticks to what he's been successful at doing all season long, I think he will win Manager Of The Year.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I still suffer from PTSD from Buck declining to bring in Britton and pitching Jimenez instead. For that reason, I keep thinking that I don't want to see a similar mistake happen in the playoffs with Brandon Hyde. But if he sticks to what he's been successful at doing all season long, I think he will win Manager Of The Year.

I guess he could make a terrible decision in the last 3 games of the year against Boston, but he should still win Manager of the Year.  Playoffs will not effect Manager of the Year voting.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I guess he could make a terrible decision in the last 3 games of the year against Boston, but he should still win Manager of the Year.  Playoffs will not effect Manager of the Year voting.

The Manager of the Year ballot comes with no such guidelines. The voters are told to submit their ballot before the first postseason game, and not to reveal their ballot until after the winners are announced. That's it. That's the only instruction they receive.

3 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Bump. I just want to get this thread back up because:

1. I think We need to really appreciate this man.

2. He did a masterful job tonight.

3. He should be our and MLB's Manager of The Year!

There is absolutely no chance that he doesn’t win Msnager of the Year.  There should be a federal investigation if he isn’t.  Congress apparently has nothing better to do anyway.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

There is absolutely no chance that he doesn’t win Msnager of the Year.  There should be a federal investigation if he isn’t.  Congress apparently has nothing better to do anyway.  

I think you're right, but these awards are like figure skating medals. There's always a chance the Uzbek judge is going to give him a 6.8 and Bruce Bochy a 9.7.

Buck took the '12 team from complete generational mocking irrelevance to the playoffs in one year and they gave it to Bob Melvin because the A's were just about as good as the O's after having been slightly below average for a brief while.