Bryan Reynolds signs extension

Sports Guy

26 minutes ago, Ripken said:

So does anyone like the potential CFs in our system?  Sounds like Cowser could do it but wouldn't be a good defender there.  Not sure I believe Haskin can be a decent MLB hitter.  Fabian is a good defender but he's only in A+ ball.  I don't think Beavers is a CF.  Trimble can't hit.  I guess it's possible a MI is converted at some point.  Bueller?

I think our CF org depth is worse than our pitching.  Alot rests on Fabian IMO.  Is Stiven Acevedo a nugget?  Can Haskins really hit?

Here's Tony's write up on Stiven from the end of last season.  His "should be watched" was prescient as Stiven sits at #25 on the current power rankings!  .353/.393/.490

54. Stiven Acevedo – OF (CPX/A): Only 19-years old, Acevedo found the Carolina League too tough in his first go around, but he’s got a good frame to put on muscle and he’s athletic with loose swing that could end up generating good power if he can put it together. Basically a toolsy athlete that will most likely repeat Delmarva next year and should be watched.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And the MASN lawsuit judgement rendered today will provide more excuses for John Angelos to cry poor and act outraged the next time he gets asked about an early extension for Adley.

Things are going really well on the field right now for the Orioles. Yet in the back of every fan's mind you can't help but wonder how ownership will screw this up.

This is about where I am.  Trying to enjoy it while I can because while he's not his father, he sure seems to be cut from the same cloth in certain regards.

I do appreciate that he's made himself more available to the media than his father ever had, even though he's not very media savvy, tends to ramble in his answers and talks in circles.  That being said, it's certainly a small amount of praise to give and isn't where the rubber meets the road.  

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do appreciate that he's made himself more available to the media than his father ever had

I had no access to local Baltimore media of the time but I thought I heard that Peter was fairly accessible in the early years.  Before the coverage stopped being favorable.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I had no access to local Baltimore media of the time but I thought I heard that Peter was fairly accessible in the early years.  Before the coverage stopped being favorable.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a little more media friendly at the time.  But that was over 20 years ago, anything that he did back then good or bad, as far as I'm concerned is water under a bridge that's barely visible.

My dad likes to tell a story about how we were at 2,131, Angelos was giving his speech at the ceremony after the game and people booed him.  I don't remember that part, but my dad swears that Angelos paused for a second and glared at the crowd real quick with a "***** you" look, he likes to say.  My dad hates Angelos.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he were a little more media friendly at the time.  But that was over 20 years ago, anything that he did back then good or bad, as far as I'm concerned is water under a bridge that's barely visible.

My dad likes to tell a story about how we were at 2,131, Angelos was giving his speech at the ceremony after the game and people booed him.  I don't remember that part, but my dad swears that Angelos paused for a second and glared at the crowd real quick with a "***** you" look, he likes to say.  My dad hates Angelos.

Angelos almost single handedly ruined 2131 with a long, rambling, boring speech, IIRC.

I tried to find Angelos' speech to see if it's as bad as remembered.  Initial search doesn't look promising.

Although I did find this website.  I'm not sure who's responsible for it, but it's really, really nice.  Some really cool photos and videos.  And Cal's 2131 speech is here in its entirety.  

https://view.ceros.com/mlb/2131/p/1

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I tried to find Angelos' speech to see if it's as bad as remembered.  Initial search doesn't look promising.

Although I did find this website.  I'm not sure who's responsible for it, but it's really, really nice.  Some really cool photos and videos.  And Cal's 2131 speech is here in its entirety.  

I have the game on VHS but no VCR.😎

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I have it on DVD, someone gave me a 5 or 6 DVD box set of Cal Ripken games a long time ago for a Christmas present.  

Don't have a DVD player anymore though.

No optical drive on the computer?  Playstation, X-box?  (I'd have to dig through a closet myself and I have no idea if mine still works)

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No optical drive on the computer?  Playstation, X-box?  (I'd have to dig through a closet myself and I have no idea if mine still works)

Nope, no optical drive on the computer (MacBook Pro).  Got a Playstation but it's been unplugged for years, we moved last year and I'm not even sure where it is.  

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was at 2131 and remember Angelos getting booed for droning on a long time when everyone was waiting to hear Cal speak. Plus it was late on a weeknight following the conclusion of the game.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was at 2131 and remember Angelos getting booed for droning on a long time when everyone was waiting to hear Cal speak. Plus it was late on a weeknight following the conclusion of the game.

Didn't they interrupt the game and he gave the speech during that time before they resumed the game?

Ripken's lap around the stadium took 22 minutes, already making for a long evening.  Angelos had his prepared script and boos did cascade down.  Even Joe DiMaggio and others had the common sense to keep their remarks brief.  We were all there to hear Cal not Angelos. 

Back on topic, way, way back when I started posting here, I used to post a lot of what Peter Angelos (empty) promised.   Here's John Angelos, Feb 22.  "I would be disappointed if we’re not the next Tampa."  OK, John, you're as full of it as your father.  TB has a higher payroll than Baltimore. Sorry, @Frobby but the comparison to what the smaller markets are doing compared to Baltimore,  while repetitive,  is relevant.    

It remains to be seen if Adley's career goes the way of Manny.   That's my choice for the next contract extension.

Edited by TonySoprano