Sat Apr 29th, Game One 12:10 @ Tigers

Tony-OH

Just now, Gurgi said:

Maybe we can fix our SS problem by putting Ortiz at SS and Mateo at first?  LOL   At least we would have someone that will pick a short hop even if they strike out a ton.  

Yeah let’s set a record for the fastest first baseman ever. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Yeah let’s set a record for the fastest first baseman ever. 

It would be different.   Maybe in ten years everyone will be talking about the amazing Mateo at first.  Like Cal made it okay to put slow big guys at SS.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Shortstop I never heard of has had a pretty good game.

That’s ZS59, Zach Short’s previous social media handle. He had a great spring but was fighting for a spot against McKinstry, who had an even better one, and was cut the day *after* the last game of ST.

I know him from TheCompound podcast, which he’s been doing for several years now since he was with the Cubs farm system. You kinda get to know people on podcasts (especially if you watch them on YouTube) and he, Ian Happ, and Dakota Mekkes have really helped me get thru the past year and a half.  So I can’t help but root for him even if weams would be really upset with me for doing so 😅

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

And it's worse actually than Elias probably predicted, if one looks at how poorly Irvin and Kremer have pitched and the Grayson mystery.

Overall, I';m sure that true, but I woudn't say that overall the starters are underperforming expectations by a lot. The Orioles starters are 36th in ERA and 23rd in fewest runs allowed and WHIP. I obviously don't know what Elias thinks, but didn't excpect them to be more than a few notches above that, certainly below league average. 

Other than GRod (looking ahead, not at his performance so far) and Gibson (for now) these are all bottom-off-the-rotation types. Guys like that will give you a good performance some of the time, and you can have one or even two on a winning team. But these guys are going to be inconsistent --  they'll have plenty of outings where they can't find the plate, or get hammered, or both. I don't think you can win consistently with as many of them as the Orioles are throwing out there, and It think it's unlikely there will be much improvement in the starters without adding to the talent that's there. If the Orioles finish over .500, it will be because the offense, relievers and defense make up for crappy starting pitching.

2 hours ago, justD said:

Best thing about Os baseball this season is you can never count them out, certainly not this early in the game.  Could still be some good baseball coming!

And that actually remained true today in a game that looked like we were going to be completely blown out!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Overall, I';m sure that true, but I woudn't say that overall the starters are underperforming expectations by a lot. The Orioles starters are 36th in ERA and 23rd in fewest runs allowed and WHIP. I obviously don't know what Elias thinks, but didn't excpect them to be more than a few notches above that, certainly below league average. 

Other than GRod (looking ahead, not at his performance so far) and Gibson (for now) these are all bottom-off-the-rotation types. Guys like that will give you a good performance some of the time, and you can have one or even two on a winning team. But these guys are going to be inconsistent --  they'll have plenty of outings where they can't find the plate, or get hammered, or both. I don't think you can win consistently with as many of them as the Orioles are throwing out there, and It think it's unlikely there will be much improvement in the starters without adding to the talent that's there. If the Orioles finish over .500, it will be because the offense, relievers and defense make up for crappy starting pitching.

I wonder what the front office outlook on Means' possible comeback is. But there's a way in which I've lost the ability to understand how top-notch SP talent is sought after or handled in the big leagues in general. For example, I would have never gone after Scherzer last year or DeGrom this year, not to mention 6-7 of the other top names from the past two off-seasons. It's a mystery to me how they calculate value, injury risk, etc.--ultimately, I just don't find it interesting because it seems to lead to such outlandish decisions.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I wonder what the front office outlook on Means' possible comeback is. But there's a way in which I've lost the ability to understand how top-notch SP talent is sought after or handled in the big leagues in general. For example, I would have never gone after Scherzer last year or DeGrom this year, not to mention 6-7 of the other top names from the past two off-seasons. It's a mystery to me how they calculate value, injury risk, etc.--ultimately, I just don't find it interesting because it seems to lead to such outlandish decisions.

I don't think you can plan around the assumption that Means will be back and pitching well enough to be a difference maker this season.

It might very well happen but that can't be a key component of your strategy.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think you can plan around the assumption that Means will be back and pitching well enough to be a difference maker this season.

It might very well happen but that can't be a key component of your strategy.

No, but you do have to put him in the rotation when he comes back, even if he is not quite the pitcher he was for the first half season.    The only way to get back to being that pitcher comes with time and with pitching, and I think minor league rehab assignments are limited to 21 days.   It sucks that guys often don't get back to their previous level until their 2nd year post-TJ surgery... but you can't just put him on a shelf and wait for the 2nd year.