What do you think Mateo’s final 2023 OPS will be?

Frobby

What do you think Mateo’s final 2023 OPS will be?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think Mateo’s final 2023 OPS will be?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/02/23 at 23:13

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really understand the point.  Mateo came into this season with 3.000 years of service.  If he was sent down for longer than 20 days at any point this season, he’d earn less than a full year of service time and his eligibility for free agency would be delayed.   But the possibility of that happening is so remote I don’t think it’s worthy of discussion at this point.  

I’m talking about the prospects, not Mateo…as in, once we get to June if Mateo is struggling mightily, there won’t be any of these peripheral reasons not to bring up them prospects if you are ready to do so.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m talking about the prospects, not Mateo…as in, once we get to June if Mateo is struggling mightily, there won’t be any of these peripheral reasons not to bring up them prospects if you are ready to do so.

Thanks.  AnythingO’s explained it to me. Sorry for being dense.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Could I have timed this poll any better?  Mateo was slashing .347/.395/.667 the day I created the poll.  Since then, he’s hit .129/.156/.161 over 9 games.  This guy really needs a middle gear.  

Yeesh I thought I was being semi-bearish then... 

I do tend to think he'll maintain a bit better with a 44% GB rate even if his avg EV is consistent with previous years simply due to his speed. 

But he's not the second coming he appeared to be the first 20% of the season.

I have not liked the at bats lately, since right about the time the poll came out. A little pull happy and the swing decisions were not as good as they had been. In fairness to him, he has been facing the Braves and Rays best.

Slumps happen, but the defense has still been very good. The league has adjusted to him now. His turn to adjust. I want to see where he is at the end of June. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Could I have timed this poll any better?  Mateo was slashing .347/.395/.667 the day I created the poll.  Since then, he’s hit .129/.156/.161 over 9 games.  This guy really needs a middle gear.  

I picked the.750 to.799. I still feel good about it... it's all about shortening the valley.

19 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I have not liked the at bats lately, since right about the time the poll came out. A little pull happy and the swing decisions were not as good as they had been. In fairness to him, he has been facing the Braves and Rays best.

Slumps happen, but the defense has still been very good. The league has adjusted to him now. His turn to adjust. I want to see where he is at the end of June. 

Yeah, hopefully his slump following the hot streak doesn't last as long as it did last year...

And I think you jinxed him on at least his defense has been good...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Otter said:

Yeah, hopefully his slump following the hot streak doesn't last as long as it did last year...

And I think you jinxed him on at least his defense has been good...

Ha! Not worried about his defense. He is pressing right now, trying to do too much. He just needs to take what the game gives him. That is part of the learning process. 

I hope fans are reminded by watching Gunnar struggle that this game is hard. The jump to MLB is huge. Adley made it look a lot easier than it is. I understand the fans calling for Westburg and Ortiz, but I think it should be a last resort this year. They are very talented players, absolutely. But Mateo is one of the most gifted and exciting players in MLB today. Those don’t come along very often. We will know a lot more about Mateo’s aptitude after this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Ha! Not worried about his defense. He is pressing right now, trying to do too much. He just needs to take what the game gives him. That is part of the learning process. 

I hope fans are reminded by watching Gunnar struggle that this game is hard. The jump to MLB is huge. Adley made it look a lot easier than it is. I understand the fans calling for Westburg and Ortiz, but I think it should be a last resort this year. They are very talented players, absolutely. But Mateo is one of the most gifted and exciting players in MLB today. Those don’t come along very often. We will know a lot more about Mateo’s aptitude after this year. 

I agree.  But the important thing to figure out this year is whether Mateo is a .600 or .700 OPS guy moving forward.  I'm happy sticking with him if he's around .700 OPS with great speed and defense.  But if he's around .600 again, I'm ready to give Ortiz a shot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Otter said:

I agree.  But the important thing to figure out this year is whether Mateo is a .600 or .700 OPS guy moving forward.  I'm happy sticking with him if he's around .700 OPS with great speed and defense.  But if he's around .600 again, I'm ready to give Ortiz a shot.

Sure, I agree with that. He has the strength to be an .800 guy. I want to see if he can maintain the discipline and show an aptitude for the daily mental side of hitting. He gives away too many at bats right now. 

Edited by Jammer7