Moves the Orioles should make tomorrow

seak05

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Seth Johnson should be put on the 60 day DL and that should open a roster spot. Everywhere I look it says he’s not on the 60 DL for whatever reason. Unless it’s wrong and he is, it be utterly stupid if he wasn’t 

Its not stupid.  Its smart.   Cowser, Westburg, Diaz are not on the 40 man roster.    If the O's need any of them Johnson can be put on 60 day IL.   They have not been needed so far.   There is no place to play them yet.

7 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

The thing is, McKenna can play CF and, with a right now .918 OPS against lefties, platoons pretty well with Mullins.  I know McKenna's got his flaws, but not sure how both Stowers and Cowser up on the O's make sense right now when they are both lefties -- unless the O's move someone in a trade (or obviously if someone is hurt).

Mullins is crushing lefties, he doesn’t need a platoon partner.

Once Cowser and Westburg are added to the 40 man roster then they are there to stay. 

Also, we’re giving up on Stowers for Cowser?  I think Stowers gets until mid June(the Super two date) to show what he can do. It would take an injury to one of our 4 IF on the rosters for Westburg to be in consideration. 

I think Lewyn Diaz might be one of our September call ups. 

59 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

40-man roster drops aren’t a problem just yet.

1. O’Hearn can be DFA’d of course. 83 OPS+, -2.8 WAR, nearly 30 years old

2. Spenser Watkins. 71 ERA+, -0.8 WAR, nearly 31 years old. Long man Joey Krehbiel. 

3. Bruce Zimmermann. 75 ERA+, -0.3 WAR, 28 years old. Lefty long man Joey Krehbiel. 

4. Luis Torrens. 79 OPS+, -0.4 WAR, 27 years old

5. Seth Johnson can be transferred to 60-man. I’m a tad confused why he hasn’t been already? 

I would like to see Jordan Westburg should Urias go on the 10 day IL. But I’d suspect we see Ortiz which is cool too. How nice it is that we have the Jordan Westburg’s and Joey Ortiz’s of the world to call up when the first injury hits instead of the Richie Martin’s and Tyler Nevin’s. 

Zimmermann and Watkins are useful pitching depth.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Krehbiel has already been DFA'd.  Zimmermann and Watkins are useful pitching depth.

I can see Gilaspie getting DFA’d once Givens and Tate come back. Especially with Khriebel clearing. Gilaspie is at the bottom on our RH RP depth chart. I think that’s one the the people to go for Cowser/Westburg, or it could be for an Elias trade or Waiver wire pickup. 

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Zimmermann and Watkins are useful pitching depth.

How exactly? Zimmermann is in his 4th year wearing a Norfolk Tides jersey. He’s had a good amount of innings across multiple years at the major league level to show he can prevent base runners and prevent runs at a useful clip. He’s 28 YO and was never a highly regarded prospect. Everything from him at the AAA Level suggests we are looking at the same pitcher we’ve been looking at the past few years. 1.36 career WHIP in AAA. 

Watkins is even older and was even less regarded non-prospect who has had a good amount of innings across multiple years at the major league level to show he can prevent base runners and prevent runs at a useful clip. That’s with The Wall helping him out last year. On top of that he is injured. 

Maybe they are our 11th and 12th starters. These are players that can be DFA’d and passed through waivers, and perhaps briefly deployed in the most dire of situations. The bar has been raised. 

13 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

How exactly? Zimmermann is in his 4th year wearing a Norfolk Tides jersey. He’s had a good amount of innings across multiple years at the major league level to show he can prevent base runners and prevent runs at a useful clip. He’s 28 YO and was never a highly regarded prospect. Everything from him at the AAA Level suggests we are looking at the same pitcher we’ve been looking at the past few years. 1.36 career WHIP in AAA. 

Watkins is even older and was even less regarded non-prospect who has had a good amount of innings across multiple years at the major league level to show he can prevent base runners and prevent runs at a useful clip. That’s with The Wall helping him out last year. On top of that he is injured. 

Maybe they are our 11th and 12th starters. These are players that can be DFA’d and passed through waivers, and perhaps briefly deployed in the most dire of situations. The bar has been raised. 

35 different Oriole players pitched for the major league team last year. I say players and not pitchers because position players pitched a few innings. It’s a long season. They need “break glass in case of emergency” guys at Norfolk. 

We really need a RH OF power type bat. Elias has paid $1.2 million for depth pieces where we’re thin at in O’Hearn and Torrens.

Would Elias claim Franmil Reyes and pay him his $2m salary to try and fix him in AAA.  How much do we trust our coaching/developmental staff?  Diaz, O’Hearn, and Lester, are all putting up big OPS’ in AAA. Money is the only gamble. 

27 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Two of the O's starters go down with injuries in the next two days.  Who starts in their place?    Irvin no doubt gets called up.   They could move Voth from the pen but then they need a long man.    Zimmermann is next guy up.   But only because Watkins is injured.  If he wasn't it would be him.

Hall is still developing and has to learn how to get  to 5 innings in 80 pitches or less.  He is not ready to start in the majors.    Rom needs more time.

Neither Zimmermann nor Watkins are prospects.   They are pitching depth.

Edited by wildcard

12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

35 different Oriole players pitched for the major league team last year. I say players and not pitchers because position players pitched a few innings. It’s a long season. They need “break glass in case of emergency” guys at Norfolk. 

See last paragraph of comment you quoted 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We really need a RH OF power type bat. Elias has paid $1.2 million for depth pieces where we’re thin at in O’Hearn and Torrens.

Would Elias claim Franmil Reyes and pay him his $2m salary to try and fix him in AAA.  How much do we trust our coaching/developmental staff?  Diaz, O’Hearn, and Lester, are all putting up big OPS’ in AAA. Money is the only gamble. 

I'd like to say that they have way too many in-house options but we've seen them spend on backup catchers and a AAAA 1B. 

11 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

See last paragraph of comment you quoted 

Sure, some can be DFA'd, but some will opt to go elsewhere and Elias will just have to put some of them back on the 40 later in the season. What do you do if you replace those 4A pitcher spots with real prospects and then you need the roster spots in a few weeks/months for yet more 4A pitchers? Elias has to keep at least a few 40 man roster spots that he can adjust as needed during the season. He can't totally fill the 40 man with players that he can't afford to lose. I think it's more accurate to think of the pitchers you listed as flexible 40 man roster spots rather than specific pitchers. Elias can't fill all or even most of those spots with "real" players. 

• Upvote 1