Monday, May 15: Grayson Rodriguez vs Shohei Ohtani

SteveA

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I got 46 years.....since Eddie Murray's rookie season.  Saw Brooks play his last year (I honestly dont remember it much)  Saw last game of 82.  Saw Tippy pick off three in one inning and we won on a Len Sakata homerun in extra innings.  The sheer amount of joy I got off the first decade of my fandom has allowed me to still be a super fan through some real dark days.  

Most of us have seen some real steaming excrement from this organization over the years. The lion’s share of my life they have been noncompetitive. 

I have watched it all since 1979 or so. Before that I was still crapping my pants.

Winning makes losing even more painful. When they suck, you expect them to lose. Most everyone is gonna lose 60 games.

It doesn’t mean you have to like losing 60 games.

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I wish, I was young enough to have watched Earl Weaver manage during his prime instead of his 1985-86 comeback. He was a genius game manager with moves like the one mentioned above.

I saw a game where they pulled the old trick where a left handed pitcher is on the mound with less than two outs and a guy at first and third.  Lowenstein was at first and he wandered off 1st and fake fell down.  The pitcher couldnt avoid the cat nip and threw over to first and eddie Murray streaked home for the win.  The Orioles apparently actually practiced that play a lot each year in spring training....just for the once chance every four or five years where you might be able to use it.  Weaver was pretty clever.  He seemed to understand way before most the importance of OBP and he hated getting thrown out on the bases trying to steal.  He was basically intuitively a sabermetric guy.  Bill James talks up Weaver a lot. 

• Haha 1

I don't expect Mike Elias to share with me his strategy for building a pitching staff. But from watching how he's built this team over the past four-plus years, I don't know what it is. He hasn't drafted high-end pitching talent. That kind of talent isn't coming from international signings. Posting fees appear to be out of the question. He hasn't traded any of his redundant position-player assets for pitching. He hasn't signed high-end free agent pitching (and may be constrained from spending the money needed to do that).

Building and sitting on a stockpile of young middle IFs and corner OFs who look like potential MLers can get you a high ranking for your MiL system, but it's hard to win at the big level without having a pretty good starting rotation that's strong at the top (for the post-season) and deep. If Elias has a plan for getting there, his actions so far don't give me a clue as to what it might be.

27 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I got 46 years.....since Eddie Murray's rookie season.  Saw Brooks play his last year (I honestly dont remember it much)  Saw last game of 82.  Saw Tippy pick off three in one inning and we won on a Len Sakata homerun in extra innings.  The sheer amount of joy I got off the first decade of my fandom has allowed me to still be a super fan through some real dark days.  

I was at the last game of 82. A huge letdown after a great series comeback. 

I was also at the Brooks Robinson Hall of Fame celebration game. Huge rain delay for hours. I think the O's hit 5 straight singles in the bottom of the 9th for a walkoff win

• Thanks 1