Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If I am the Angels the good thing about trading Ohtani to the Orioles is you know you aren’t trading him to a place he is likely to like better and want to stay.  Still gives them hope to resign. 

The Orioles are almost certainly not going to get Ohtani. BUT if they did and he was a centerpiece of a team that threatened winning a WS…there is no way that would help him go back to the Angels. If that were their thinking they would send him to the last place Yankees. 

36 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I disagree that the Angels have “as much a chance” as any.  I think the Angels have virtually zero chance of resigning him. Angels are losers, they have not had a winning record since 2015 despite having both Trout and Ohtani.  They finished over 30 games behind Houston .. twice.. with both stars.  Their organization is a mess and they are not competitive with Houston, Texas or Seattle over next five years imho.

I think Ohtani is sick of losing and will not risk more of the same.  If he does, then he can be the finest player in history never to have a winning record.  

No, he will not be an Angel imho.  As to what teams would pay him stupid money and stupid contract?  Well everyone knows who those organizations are. 

I remember people saying that about Trout. The hubris involved in saying there is zero chance is more than I'd be able to muster, that's for sure.

Edit: Your last two sentences didn't address what I asked. I didn't ask who will pay him stupid money, I asked which contenders right now, are willing to empty the farm for a 2-month rental.

Edited by Malike

18 minutes ago, Malike said:

I remember people saying that about Trout. The hubris involved in saying there is zero chance is more than I'd be able to muster, that's for sure.

Well, the Angels have money and weather going for them, and I'm sure that Ohtani has developed personal relationships there, both on and off the team.  The Angels also meet his stated preference of being with a west coast team.  So yeah, I'd say their chances are greater than zero.  The thing is, Ohtani recently came out and said that he wished he had done the research to find out how bad the Angels were before signing with them.  That comment would tend to make me think that he's looking to sign elsewhere this time around.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

People keep saying this..what exactly do you think he’s worth? He’s a great player but it’s 2 months. You are only going to get so Much. 2 top 100 guys and another guy who has been top 50 within the last year is a lot to get back for 2 months of a player.

Put it another way…I bet we can get Bellinger and Gioloto for less than that.

I get that Othani is better than both but again, it’s 2 months. 

I guess you never know what some team is desperate to do but that would be a really hard offer to beat.

That's why this thread is so silly. The team that trades for Ohtani is only going to do so if they 1) negotiate a long term deal with him prior to the trade or 2) they think acquiring him will give them a competitive advantage in resigning him in the offseason. The Orioles don't check either one of those boxes [and scene].

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

That's why this thread is so silly. The team that trades for Ohtani is only going to do so if they 1) negotiate a long term deal with him prior to the trade or 2) they think acquiring him will give them a competitive advantage in resigning him in the offseason. The Orioles don't check either one of those boxes [and scene].

Zippy chance Othani signs a deal in the next few weeks.

33 minutes ago, Malike said:

Edit: Your last two sentences didn't address what I asked. I didn't ask who will pay him stupid money, I asked which contenders right now, are willing to empty the farm for a 2-month rental.

He's not resigning with the Angels. The deal would have been done by now if he was and he's "politely" made it clear he's not happy with how they've approached things and losing. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been saying it for awhile - this is why it's going to be harder than people think for us to make trades:

What's the one thing our farm system lacks. Mhm. 

I'm a bit unclear on Mozeliak's comment.  Is he saying that the Cardinals are focused on offering up pitching or that they're looking for pitching prospects?

If you were Arte Moreno, and you knew in a couple weeks that like the 2000-2001 Orioles with Mike Bordick you loved a guy but it wasn't in your strategic interest to keep him right now, and you wanted to minimize a risk he would have some kind of transcendent October 2023 life experience that might tempt Ohtani to give a 10% discount to the Club he had that with, and so preferred a short term home with a Club you were pretty sure would not compete financially even on a discounted basis, who might you incline towards?

If you were Shohei Ohtani and sick of baseball incompetence, who's looking good around MLB right now?   

Oh, darn, the Braves.    

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Zippy chance Othani signs a deal in the next few weeks.

That's fine, then see my 2nd point. A team isn't going to clear out their farm system for him unless they think it's potentially more than a two month commitment. And as incompetent as the Angels are, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him, let him walk, and got zippy in return. It's amazing how an organization with a $200M payroll can be so consistently incompetent. I mean they haven't even managed a blind squirrel/nut season in reason years. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've been saying it for awhile - this is why it's going to be harder than people think for us to make trades:

What's the one thing our farm system lacks. Mhm. 

It seems every trade deadline article or report that I read suggests every team who is buying is looking for pitching. Like 20 teams want pitching if you believe all the articles.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It seems every trade deadline article or report that I read suggests every team who is buying is looking for pitching. Like 20 teams want pitching if you believe all the articles.

And that's pretty much every year.

It's the main reason I question the concept of just trading off the excess bats for pitching.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

If you were Arte Moreno, and you knew in a couple weeks that like the 2000-2001 Orioles with Mike Bordick you loved a guy but it wasn't in your strategic interest to keep him right now, and you wanted to minimize a risk he would have some kind of transcendent October 2023 life experience that might tempt Ohtani to give a 10% discount to the Club he had that with, and so preferred a short term home with a Club you were pretty sure would not compete financially even on a discounted basis, who might you incline towards?

If you were Shohei Ohtani and sick of baseball incompetence, who's looking good around MLB right now?   

Oh, darn, the Braves.    

The Braves either lock up players when they're young (at a discount) or trade them when they become unaffordable. Ohtani doesn't fit that model and he's certainly not going to want to live/play in Atlanta or on the East Coast for that matter. That would tack another four hours (each way) on his flights to and from Japan. 

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Wouldn't we in their situation? That's all we traded for when we were selling. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And that's pretty much every year.

It's the main reason I question the concept of just trading off the excess bats for pitching.

I don't know how repeatable it is, but the O's seem to have been able to transform marginal prospect pitcher mechanics into useful SPs (Wells, Bradish) and extract reliever value out of marginal major-league talent.  If they keep doing this then it's kind of okay if the best they can do is buy some retreads.  That's a big if, of course.

Even if we have to sell our position player prospects at a bit of a discount to account for the fact that they're not pitchers, we have such a glut of talent in the pipeline that it's okay.