Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Those are risks, but tend to be smaller dollar-wise and you’re paying for the players’ best years.  I’d rather spend $320 mm on two Wander Franco’s than one 29-30 year old superstar.  

Sure.  And what I said was a certain degree of risk was needed. 

I didn't say you needed to sign a guy in his 30's to a big deal.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.  And what I said was a certain degree of risk was needed. 

I didn't say you needed to sign a guy in his 30's to a big deal.

Perhaps you are having trouble recognizing it, but I am agreeing with you.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2023 at 8:34 PM, Bahama O's Fan said:

If we are going to make a playoff push, we need to add players. The teams we are contending with will not have the same rosters that they have now. We need to keep up. 

1. If Ohtani is just a rental, would you trade for him?

2. How much would be willing to give up for three months? What's your highest offer? 

3. If you were the Angel's, would you accept that offer?

I posted this two months ago. Anyone want to change their response or chime in with a new one?

Until the last couple weeks, LAA has mostly been good enough that the biggest story everyone but Arte Moreno wants has seemed like it might end up a non-story.

If Ohtani signals he wants out, it will be percolation like Andy MacPhail's never seen, if the Player doesn't put his thumb on the scale for a 2023 destination.

Assuming the Angels don't want to quit on Trout's '24, I'd guessed earlier this year Ohtani would go for a return less than Westburg, Irvin and Santander.    Whether it is Giolito, Montgomery, Hader or anyone Qualifying Offer good, your bid needs to start by exceeding the projected value of I believe a Comp A pick.     All those guys are better than Martin Perez.

I heard one take that if instead LAA goes "full rebuild", the team that acquires Ohtani might also try to acquire Trout.

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Until the last couple weeks, LAA has mostly been good enough that the biggest story everyone but Arte Moreno wants has seemed like it might end up a non-story.

If Ohtani signals he wants out, it will be percolation like Andy MacPhail's never seen, if the Player doesn't put his thumb on the scale for a 2023 destination.

Assuming the Angels don't want to quit on Trout's '24, I'd guessed earlier this year Ohtani would go for a return less than Westburg, Irvin and Santander.    Whether it is Giolito, Montgomery, Hader or anyone Qualifying Offer good, your bid needs to start by exceeding the projected value of I believe a Comp A pick.     All those guys are better than Martin Perez.

I heard one take that if instead LAA goes "full rebuild", the team that acquires Ohtani might also try to acquire Trout.

Is there a team other than the O's that has the quality and depth of prospects to acquire both players?

The Yankees certainly don't. Dodgers maybe?

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I posted this two months ago. Anyone want to change their response or chime in with a new one?

I think the O's would have to part with 3 Top 100 picks to get Ohtani. I doubt that happens, but given how embarrassing trading a generational player would be for Angels ownership, they will want a kings ransom that doesn't necessarily justify a rental, even if its Ohtani.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bluedog said:

Is there a team other than the O's that has the quality and depth of prospects to acquire both players?

The Yankees certainly don't. Dodgers maybe?

The Seinfeld scene where they talk about the importance of taking versus holding seems to apply to this situation. Even if the Orioles have the prospect depth to trade for Ohtani (taking) they have zero chance of resigning him (holding) and it would be silly and irresponsible to compromise the long term future of the team for a 2 month Ohtani rental. And the people advocating trading for Ohtani are the same people who consider playing the lottery each week retirement planning. It's a marathon not a race. We want to this team to be good and contend for MANY seasons not just this season. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM

2 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Seinfeld scene where they talk about the importance of taking versus holding seems to apply to this situation. Even if the Orioles have the prospect depth to trade for Ohtani (taking) they have zero chance of resigning him (holding) and it would be silly and irresponsible to compromise the long term future of the team for a 2 month Ohtani rental. And the people advocating trading for Ohtani are the same people who consider playing the lottery each week retirement planning. It's a marathon not a race. We want to this team to be good and contend for MANY seasons not just this season. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM

I was not suggesting the O's acquire him / them. That would mortgage the future exactly as you say. I was expressing my doubt that there's anyone with enough talent to acquire both Ohtani and Trout.