Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Ultimately, Ohtani is going to go to whoever will pay him the most money.   That won't be Baltimore.

You do wonder what he actually wants. The assumption is he goes to a larger market team, likely on the west coast.

As Kevin Brown talked last night, he is a private guy. He doesn’t do much eat, sleep and play baseball. I’m not sure the market he is in matters because he will get a ton of money and have any endorsements he wants, world wide.

We also don’t know if going somewhere where there is a large Asian community is something that is important to him or not.

There was a recent ESPN article where some execs think he can get up to $600M.

Will he want the California or NY taxes? 

The Rangers could definitely be in play if the taxes are an issue for him.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you don't want Ohtani.  Why not just say that?

I didn't say that because I don't think that, nor did I imply that. I'd love to have him on our team, but not for that short a time for that high a cost. 

It's not complicated. 

I grew up in Japan, I worked for a very large Japanese company for 25 years.  He is not coming to Baltimore long term.  Japanese ex-pats want their kids to go to Japanese schools, their wives to be around other Japanese for shopping and culture.  That is only available in certain markets-West Coast teams, NY, maybe Chicago.  Those markets also provide the opportunity for endorsement and sponsorship deals (both US/Japan) much, much larger than this market.  IMO the prospects it would take to get him as a rental make it too risky.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You do wonder what he actually wants. The assumption is he goes to a larger market team, likely on the west coast.

As Kevin Brown talked last night, he is a private guy. He doesn’t do much eat, sleep and play baseball. I’m not sure the market he is in matters because he will get a ton of money and have any endorsements he wants, world wide.

We also don’t know if going somewhere where there is a large Asian community is something that is important to him or not.

There was a recent ESPN article where some execs think he can get up to $600M.

Will he want the California or NY taxes? 

The Rangers could definitely be in play if the taxes are an issue for him.

CA tax for players is not as bad as people make it out to be.  He only works in CA for half the season, there are ways to mitigate the tax burden, and those markets provided various other ways to generate income than a smaller more tax friendly state can’t.  He’s looking for good weather and a direct flight to Japan.  I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t sign with the Dodgers.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

Just now, emmett16 said:

It’s not as bad as people make it out to be.  He only works in CA for half the season, there are ways to mitigate the tax burden, and those markets provided various other ways to generate income that a smaller more tax friendly state can’t.  He’s looking for good weather and a direct flight to Japan.  I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t sign sign the Dodgers.  

Do we know he wants those 2 things?

28 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I didn't say that because I don't think that, nor did I imply that. I'd love to have him on our team, but not for that short a time for that high a cost. 

It's not complicated. 

It's not complicated at all.

If you aren't willing to give up even one top 100 prospect you don't want Ohtani.

If a packaged headlined by Jordan Westburg is too rich for you there is no chance of a deal.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do we know he wants those 2 things?

That was what he said when he came here.  Not sure why it would change when he has more leverage.   I guess he could desire to play further from home making his travel more of a pain and in a cold weather environment that could hamper his production & health.  

Some of you are treating this like free agency: Will he want to come to Baltimore? He will want to go to whoever offers the most money. I'm not talking about free agency. I'm talking about a trade for the last three months of the season. Help push us to the finish line and then see ya later. I mean if we can resign him, great, but I doubt we can. 

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Some of you are treating this like free agency: Will he want to come to Baltimore? He will want to go to whoever offers the most money. I'm not talking about free agency. I'm talking about a trade for the last three months of the season. Help push us to the finish line and then see ya later. I mean if we can resign him, great, but I doubt we can. 

There owner (or GM can’t remember) came out last week and said that he would not be traded under any circumstances.  Imagine they will do anything and everything to retain him.  Imagine he doesn’t want to be known as the guy that traded Ohtani.  

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why you think that.

He didn't pick the Angels because they could pay him the most money.

Don't get me wrong, he's going to make serious bank but I'm not sold that his overriding criteria.

Good points...as well as the ones @Sports Guy has said.  

I guess the factor that would influence me is what would have to be given up to get him.   If he's signed here long term, he is obviously worth more in terms of prospects.   If he's a rental, I'm not sure I'd like to part with multiple top 10 prospects.

9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

There owner (or GM can’t remember) came out last week and said that he would not be traded under any circumstances.  Imagine they will do anything and everything to retain him.  Imagine he doesn’t want to be known as the guy that traded Ohtani.  

Great way to bargain. You never go out and say you intend to trade a player. 

I love it when people try to read players’ minds and decide what is important to them in choosing a team.   And I especially love it when people generalize about an entire racial group and say what is important to them. 

That said, unless Ohtani really loves crab cakes, he ain’t coming to Baltimore, because the money this team will offer him won’t be in the same universe as what other teams will offer him.  We all know this.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I love it when people try to read players’ minds and decide what is important to them in choosing a team.   And I especially love it when people generalize about an entire racial group and say what is important to them. 

That said, unless Ohtani really loves crab cakes, he ain’t coming to Baltimore, because the money this team will offer him won’t be in the same universe as what other teams will offer him.  We all know this.

Right…although they can easily offer him whatever it takes, especially with so many guys making no money for years to come.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don't think it's about reading a player's mind so much as judging him by his actions.

We already know what he wants.  Six years ago he left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table so he could play in So Cal, expressly because of its large Japanese community and its proximity to Japan.

It doesn't take Freud to analyze that.

• Upvote 2