Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I don't think it's about reading a player's mind so much as judging him by his actions.

We already know what he wants.  Six years ago he left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table so he could play in So Cal, expressly because of its large Japanese community and its proximity to Japan.

It doesn't take Freud to analyze that.

Someone offered 100+M more than he got and he said no?

22 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

I grew up in Japan, I worked for a very large Japanese company for 25 years.  He is not coming to Baltimore long term.  Japanese ex-pats want their kids to go to Japanese schools, their wives to be around other Japanese for shopping and culture.  That is only available in certain markets-West Coast teams, NY, maybe Chicago.  Those markets also provide the opportunity for endorsement and sponsorship deals (both US/Japan) much, much larger than this market.  IMO the prospects it would take to get him as a rental make it too risky.

This induced me to google is Shohei Ohtani married, and the internet thinks no.

The Angels are doing well enough to compete for AL6, so for me the scenario came more into play if the Club fails to present him a championship possibility in his Age 28 season.    He will turn 29 early July, and be 29.25 this October, the only month that really matters in the rest of his American Club career.

He does have some more PA's for Adley to show empathy about Ownership bungling and tell jokes in Japanese.    I can't really see a path to a hug.    

I think he is a full grown adult and whether LAA is playing .530 or .470 ball there is some chance he simply tells Arte Moreno's organization No mas.     If I was Shohei Ohtani and my team's roster collapsed again, I would at least think about it.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not complicated at all.

If you aren't willing to give up even one top 100 prospect you don't want Ohtani.

If a packaged headlined by Jordan Westburg is too rich for you there is no chance of a deal.

Westburg would have to be the 3rd piece.  Easily a dozen teams would be competing to trade for Ohtani.  Would make sense for Angels to ask for Holliday.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't think it's about reading a player's mind so much as judging him by his actions.

We already know what he wants.  Six years ago he left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table so he could play in So Cal, expressly because of its large Japanese community and its proximity to Japan.

And maybe he hasn’t liked it.  And maybe he’s been to the other 28 cities and thought to himself - “now that I’m acclimated to the US, it would be cool to try this other place.”

I’m not saying that’s what he’s thinking.  But it could be.   We have no way to know. 

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Someone offered 100+M more than he got and he said no?

Plenty of teams offered more  money than the Angels.  If he had waited 18 months he could have come over unbound by the posting process.  He chose the Angels, and cost himself a lot of money in the process.

29 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I looked it up... there are more Japanese in Tokyo than in Southern California... also... the proximity is way better than Southern California.  🙂

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And maybe he hasn’t liked it.  And maybe he’s been to the other 28 cities and thought to himself - “now that I’m acclimated to the US, it would be cool to try this other place.”

I’m not saying that’s what he’s thinking.  But it could be.   We have no way to know. 

Fair enough.  I don't currently occupy the man's headspace.

I'd be willing to wager, however, that he'll sign on the West Coast.  The LA teams, and SEA being the favorites.

Just now, Pickles said:

Plenty of teams offered more  money than the Angels.  If he had waited 18 months he could have come over unbound by the posting process.  He chose the Angels, and cost himself a lot of money in the process.

That’s not what I asked you.

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

I looked it up... there are more Japanese in Tokyo than in Southern California... also... the proximity is way better than Southern California.  🙂

Is there also a major league team?

Not to get off topic, but that would be the place to expand if only there were a way to handle the travel.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wait until he gets a taste of the "Ohtani Hon!" Ad campaign.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That’s not what I asked you.

Plenty of teams would have offered him more than 100 million if he hadn't bound himself to the posting process b/c he didn't care about maximizing his money, but about playing in So Cal.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Plenty of teams would have offered him more than 100 million if he hadn't bound himself to the posting process b/c he didn't care about maximizing his money, but about playing in So Cal.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/12/shohei-ohtani-underpaid/548027/

Ok but he didn’t turn down those contracts to sign with the Angels. That’s just not true.  You said he turned down hundreds of millions to sign with the Angels. That’s false.