You can't clip these wings - City Connect jerseys

Snutchy

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Come on guys. You haven't even seen the back of the jersey yet.  I'm told the numbers are formed by an array of blue crabs joined together by their claws.  

Right. Two reasons it's taking so long are that the crabs on the back are used to form the uniform numbers, some of which are pretty challenging, and the Orioles have rejected several proposed likenesses of Peter Angelos for a sleeve patch. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything we can do, as a fanbase, to protest the stupidly simple ugly design?   We should somehow boycott this and make sure no one buys a single one.  Then insist they try to do this over again and this time actually hire a designer...

8 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Is there anything we can do, as a fanbase, to protest the stupidly simple ugly design?   We should somehow boycott this and make sure no one buys a single one.  Then insist they try to do this over again and this time actually hire a designer...

Don't buy them and rip them on social media.

A really nice dig on them on social media has a chance to go viral and make them look bad.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Garish is an appropriate word, 100%.  

Baltimoreans really love the holy trinity of the state flag, Old Bay and Under Armour.  

All rips on the MD flag are based on jealousy. I saw a poll done several years ago by art critics that reviewed various flags from all over the world, and the Maryland  state flag ranked in the to 10% (in their opinion) for design and originality. When you see that flag, you know what state you're looking at. Arizona is pretty sweet too. Even my birth state's flag (PA) is blue with a seal, like so many others. Side note: when I moved to Virginia, the first time I bothered to look at the state flag, I thought. why do they have a guy in dress on their state seal? Then I realized it was just piss poor artwork.

• Haha 1

I'm not a fan of specialized alternate uniforms in general except for throwbacks.    Really they are just another thing to sell to fans who are completists.  I think some of the proceeds go to charity which is the only good thing about any of that kind of thing.  "City connect" uniforms included.

My guess is that once people see the hype video that explains the choices, people with strong connection to the city will feel better about them. I haven't gone back to see what the likes of San Diego's was but if I did --and I liked SD at all-- I might feel differently (even if it just moved the needle from "yuk" to "guh, fine").

10 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I don't like the design either but It's really going to be hard to make sure no one buys a single one.  

Edited by BRobinsonfan

At any rate, I’m hoping that the backlash for the leak was enough that Nike and the Orioles scrapped it and went to plan B somehow.  But if that was their plan A, I’m assuming whatever else they could do as an alternate would be terrible. 

The City Connect jerseys are interesting. From what I’ve noticed they’re usually met with some kind of mixed reaction. But I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say anything positive about the leaked design for the Orioles. 

This looks like it’s headed to be an unmitigated disaster. 

Our current uniforms are fine, but I don't think the Orioles have ever really fully showcased the orange/black color scheme. The leak for these city connect jerseys hardly have any orange. Really hope there's some orange on the full uniform, because going all black when that's not your primary color is an extremely tired and trite look.

Different sport, but I think the Ravens do much more with purple/black. Even when they go all black, there are purple/gold accents that pop.