Pick one former Oriole at any stage of their career to add to the current team to make us serious WS contenders

GuidoSarducci

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You mean Steve Stone, the guy who won the Cy Young because of the amount of wins he had? He had a 3.98 FIP that year. Poor Mike Norris got ripped off. i mean, 10 year old me loved Stone and thought he definitely deserved it. 53 year me feels like sending mike Norris a "Sorry for your loss" card.

I like the 10 year old analogy.  You are right about the stats but the 1980 era innings and wins are enticing. 

In all seriousness Eddie would probably be my choice, as you have noted they really miss a clutch hitter and early 80's Eddie was the best I have ever seen.  

Win a WS, F Robby, all day. Leader and winner, see 1966. 

If you need a SP, Jimbo or Cuellar. Mussina was the original pitch 5 innings to get a win. Like Palmerio not playing in playoff game because Johnson pitched, both of them you can have( Mussina and Palmerio)

30 minutes ago, Grady said:

Win a WS, F Robby, all day. Leader and winner, see 1966. 

If you need a SP, Jimbo or Cuellar. Mussina was the original pitch 5 innings to get a win. Like Palmerio not playing in playoff game because Johnson pitched, both of them you can have( Mussina and Palmerio)

Are we talking about the same Mike Mussina who threw over 200 innings 9 years in a row. 

Mussina was work horse for his time.  

We seem to have lots of middle infield options so that would lead me to reason that we wouldn't get the most benefit from Cal Ripken, as much as we would another position. Frank Robinson could probably play RF and also provide relief for Mountcastle at 1st base, and he would help solve the problem of failing to drive runners in scoring position in. So 1966 MVP Frank Robinson definitely deserves consideration.

With that said, I'm going with 1975 vintage Jim Palmer. My rationale is because Orioles might benefit most by adding a Cy Young Ace like Jim to lead the pitching staff. It's the team's most glaring need for a deep run inside the playoffs.

I know that we have some flexibility at shortstop, but how can we be on page four and Cal’s 11.5 WAR season in 1991 gets no love?  Even if Mateo puts up 4 WAR, we are talking about a 7.5 WAR difference.  Oh, and he posts every day.

• Upvote 3

OK, I'm not gonna argue with @Roy Firestone (or Frobby), those are obvious first rank choices. Given that we are adding to the current roster, Adley can't be picked, but NOBODY has ever had such a dramatic impact on a team in my lifetime, and I started rooting for Triandos and Gentile. In my roughly 60-plus years (age 73) of O's fandom, other than possibly Frank, NOBODY in the batters box was as feared as prime EDDIE. The glare, the focus, the appearance of wrath about to be uncoiled with his next swing, the silly GWRBI stat that he owned until they stopped it, in the box with the game on the line, I will go to my grave believing that prime Eddie was the man that pitchers of his day feared most.

• Upvote 2

Frank Robinson with the chip on his shoulder from just being traded.  He's the perfect RHB this team would need to amplify the left-handed punch they have now.  I couldn't argue with Jim Palmer circa 1975 either.  That was a ridiculous season and IMO the best by an Orioles starter in history in a franchise laden with pitching stars.

Maybe more interesting is what lesser player could really help this team...Gary Roenicke would address a need to add power vs LHP, but he'd lose some HRs to Camden Yards.  Same issue for Steve Pearce and Benny Ayala.