Ortiz vs Westburg

Sports Guy

Westburg vs Ortiz  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with Ortiz and Westburg?

• Keep Ortiz and trade Westburg
    • Keep Westburg and trade Ortiz?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/23 at 20:35

As long as the O's keep winning I don't see Elias trading any of these guys.   He is unlikely to break up a winning combination.    And since we do not know who may be injured its hard to know which prospects get major league exposure.

Heck we don't even know who get optioned when Urias is activiated.  Ortiz or Vavra or O'Hearn?'

I agree Frazier is probably not back next year and that Santander is probably traded this off season which opens playing time at DH.

I think we will have to see what happens with the starting pitching in July to see if Elias even believe he needs more starter depth.    Or is Means, Voth and Irvin enough.

Edited by wildcard

I’ve seen them both at Norfolk and would be really disappointed if they traded Ortiz. Less swing and miss than Westburg. I think Ortiz will get to 15 or so HRs per year because he of his contact skills. He also is a better fielder and has better arm strength than Westburg. I just think his strengths are significantly stronger than Westburg’s. While Westburg has more power, I don’t think the gap is as substantial as some think because Westburg has more swing and miss in his game. I think you put Ortiz at second next to Holliday and you have a tremendous MI. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As long as the O's keep winning I don't see Elias trading any of these guys.   He is unlikely to break up a winning combination.    And since we do not know who may be injured its hard to know which prospects get major league exposure.

Heck we don't even know who get optioned when Urias is activiated.  Ortiz or Vavra or O'Hearn?'

I agree Frazier is probably not back next year and that Santander is probably traded this off season which opens playing time at DH.

I think we will have to see what happens with the starting pitching in July to see if Elias even believe he needs more starter depth.    Or is Means, Voth and Irvin enough.

Ortiz was optioned.

5 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Ortiz was optioned.

Well, there you go.   Elias is not that interested in getting Ortiz more MLB experience right now.    To me this means he is sticking with Mateo at SS with Gunnar as his backup.   

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Well, there you go.   Elias is not that interested in getting Ortiz more MLB experience right now.    To me this means he is sticking with Mateo at SS with Gunnar as his backup.   

I honestly think its more about getting Urias ABs and showcasing him for a trade. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SilentJames said:

I honestly think its more about getting Urias ABs and showcasing him for a trade. 

I agree with getting Urias more playing time.   I don't know if Elias is even thinking of trading him.   Its possible Elias wants to see more of Gunnar at SS.

2 hours ago, deward said:

Depends on what you think Grayson/Kremer/Bradish settle in as. By 2025, I'm going to optimistically assume that Grayson has established himself as the top guy. Kremer and Bradish seem like they should at least be serviceable mid-rotation guys on a playoff team. If you're a Povich fan, he should be up by then. One of Hays/Santander/Urias might bring an arm back (not an ace). Also, guys like Stowers, Beavers, Willems, and Basallo become your new trade chips for an upgrade sometime in 2024/2025. For 2023, you roll with you have, or what you can get without giving up the core guys.

I see. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. 

We have totally different philosophies/perspective and that’s ok.

I believe that we have to take advantage of this year’s opportunity because is sports their are too many unpredictable variables to rationally project out 2 years. No matter which year (this year or any other we will need better starting pitching than what we currently have). 

I definitely don’t want to punt on this year by rolling with what we have. An objective look at our competitors can reasonably say that the odds would be long of us getting through 3 rounds of the AL with the rotation as is (including the wild card addition of Means).

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I see. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. 

We have totally different philosophies/perspective and that’s ok.

I believe that we have to take advantage of this year’s opportunity because is sports their are too many unpredictable variables to rationally project out 2 years. No matter which year (this year or any other we will need better starting pitching than what we currently have). 

I definitely don’t want to punt on this year by rolling with what we have. An objective look at our competitors can reasonably say that the odds would be long of us getting through 3 rounds of the AL with the rotation as is (including the wild card addition of Means).

Did you make a prediction on the number of wins in the pre-season poll?   Just curious.

If it’s a choice and I can only pick one, I’m going with Ortiz.   He loves to go oppo and he has more power than you’d think.  He also makes more contact and is an above average defender.  Westburg probably has more power.

36 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Did you make a prediction on the number of wins in the pre-season poll?   Just curious.

No I don’t think I did. I honestly can’t remember.

But if your point is anything can happen, I agree. I just feel that we have to much org talent to be content with being underdogs/outmanned/outgunned going into the postseason.