Guardians Series - Test for the Defense

Just Regular

44 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

At first I thought it would be Irvin, but pitchers have to stay down for 15 days and not 10 for some reason.

My guess is that if pitchers only had to be down for 10 days, then starters could be sent down and just miss one start. The league is trying to cut down on how many times a player can be optioned, and a 10-day window for pitchers would make it too easy for teams to send starting pitchers down whenever they wanted.

6 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

My guess is that if pitchers only had to be down for 10 days, then starters could be sent down and just miss one start. The league is trying to cut down on how many times a player can be optioned, and a 10-day window for pitchers would make it too easy for teams to send starting pitchers down whenever they wanted.

Seems a little strict re: relievers.  But in the end, it impacts every team, so it's even.

53 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I thought I saw somewhere that pitchers have to stay down 15 days?  If so he won't be eligible (demoted 05/21/23).

EDIT: Found it in the Minor League Options page in the MLB glossary on their site:

Upon being optioned to the Minor Leagues, a position player must remain there for a minimum of 10 days before he is eligible to be recalled to the Major League roster. For pitchers, the minimum is 15 days. If a player is serving as the 27th man for a doubleheader or replacing a player who has been placed on the injured list, there is no minimum number of days for which the optioned player must remain in the Minors.

I forgot Irvin was sent back such a short time ago.  Tuesday night would be a great time for Akin to develop a hangnail.  

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

I thought I saw somewhere that pitchers have to stay down 15 days?  If so he won't be eligible (demoted 05/21/23).

EDIT: Found it in the Minor League Options page in the MLB glossary on their site:

Upon being optioned to the Minor Leagues, a position player must remain there for a minimum of 10 days before he is eligible to be recalled to the Major League roster. For pitchers, the minimum is 15 days. If a player is serving as the 27th man for a doubleheader or replacing a player who has been placed on the injured list, there is no minimum number of days for which the optioned player must remain in the Minors.

Good catch. I didn't even think about that. So now we can eliminate Irvin from the candidates. Voth seems like the frontrunner for the start now. 

Was at the game yesterday.  Really disappointed with how our infield defense played.   2 errors were officially given out but we had more misplays than that.

Of course if you score 0 it doesn't ultimately matter.   But still...........

And all of a sudden we have a chance to take 3/4 of this series. Funny how that works. I expect Voth to come up big today. 3-4 IP, 1ER. 

The pen isn’t as bad as it seems. Akin, Perez, Baumann, and Givens, are on full rest. 

This is what we do guys and gals. Let’s steal this series.