A dangerous time

Frobby

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

A lot of dome and gloom here.   This team has been resilient. 

One little 2-4 week against the best/2nd best teams in their respective divisions… that’s all. 

We’ll be alright. We haven’t even heard if Mullins is headed to the IL yet. 

I am not even willing to say we had a let down home stand after our 5-1 stint on the road at Tor, and NYY. I think we just got pitched to. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree..I’m just wondering how much that game pumps up the already poor nunbers he has.

I'm sure it pumps up his RBI #s.  In the other thread about this being the 1/3 mark of the season, he was projected to finish with 114 RBIs.  If you remove the 9RBI game from that would change to 87.  Again, hitting in the middle of this lineup, and never walking, that is not a good number.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle has a season long .573 OPS versus RHP. 1.022 OPS versus LHP. He should sit some games versus RHP. 

I've been calling for that for a couple of weeks now.

A short side platoon, confined to 1b defensively, and with terrible OBP skills, is not much of a profile.

The roster is very balanced—this is not a stars and scrubs roster, and we have solid depth options almost everywhere on the team. Contrast that to the Yankees, who get worldbeating performances from Cole and Judge but have also given a lot of PT to guys who would never make the current O's roster.

My theory has been that the balance and depth would be a safeguard against extended cold spells. With Grayson's demotion and Cedric's possible IL trip, now's the time to test that theory. Especially since Mullins is #2 behind Rutschman in irreplaceability.

Every team has bad weeks. If this team can stay steady enough to avoid any bad months they should be playoff-bound. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

One little 2-4 week against the best/2nd best teams in their respective divisions… that’s all. 

We’ll be alright. We haven’t even heard if Mullins is headed to the IL yet. 

I am not even willing to say we had a let down home stand after our 5-1 stint on the road at Tor, and NYY. I think we just got pitched to. 

Edit 1-3*. Geez. 

We’re alright. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

In every season, there are periods where you can sort of feel a slump coming on.   And this feels like one of those times.  

Over the last 8 games, the O’s have hit .229/.289/.356, scoring 4.1 runs per game.   It’s been a little worse than that the last few games.   And now we’re going to have to play without our catalyst, Cedric Mullins, for a while.

Looking at that little 8 game stretch, Adley has a .679 OPS, Frazier is at .633, Mountcastle .590, Mateo at .330, McCann .516 and McKenna a healthy .000.   A couple of guys from that group need to step it up in the coming days, or this could spiral.   

The new Camden yards is tough and is particularly brutal on right handed batters. We went from a high run environment to an extremely low run environment with the new wall in Left Field. Even with that said, I still feel like we are in an offensive slump as a team. However, this is our new reality. Runs are going to be hard to come by at home. That's how this ballpark plays now. 

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Anyone know RM’s OPS if you take out the 9 RBI game?

.228/ .264 / .419 / .683

And while we’re playing around with backing out Mountcastle’s monster explosion games from his season stats, if you also take out May 2nd (2 HRs and a 2B), he’s down to:

.220/ .258 / .383 / .641

Those two games also account for more than 1/3 of his total HRs (4 of 11) and RBIs (14 of 38).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

As a brutal May schedule turns to a much less challenging group of teams in June, I’m encouraged.  Since this is now a bash Mountcastle thread, I’ve been Ryan’s biggest booster, but even I’m disappointed.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

As a brutal May schedule turns to a much less challenging group of teams in June, I’m encouraged.  Since this is now a bash Mountcastle thread, I’ve been Ryan’s biggest booster, but even I’m disappointed.

Gotta give him a break sometimes because of the wall. It’s not just the what balls would’ve been homers idea… it’s the how much does it mess with him?

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta give him a break sometimes because of the wall. It’s not just the what balls would’ve been homers idea… it’s the how much does it mess with him?

This. I'm not a big believer in Mountcastle's hitting. That said, he is playing half his games in what is by far the hardest park in MLB to in for right handed batters. You can't blame everything on the wall, but it is definitely a factor. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It won’t get ugly because the pen is too good for that imo.

Now, if Cano and/or Bautista get hurt or perform poorly, we could be in some real trouble but otherwise, I think they will tread water.

This is not the second or third best team in baseball as currently constructed. Their run differential isn’t that great and the margin for error isn’t that substantial for this team. So, there is going to be some “coming back to earth”. 

Cano has allowed 10 hits and 3 runs in the last 6 innings. 

Just now, Mr-splash said:

This. I'm not a big believer in Mountcastle's hitting. That said, he is playing half his games in what is by far the hardest park in MLB to in for right handed batters. You can't blame everything on the wall, but it is definitely a factor. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Don't want to hear it.  He's a professional.  He's here solely to hit.

It's not affecting Austin Hays.  Or Santander.  Or Urias.  Or anybody else.