Bullpen Game?

Mr-splash

7 minutes ago, yark14 said:

The 13 pitcher + position player limit is so dumb.  Teams should be able to field whatever combination of players they want.  

Agreed and then you have the Angels who can have 14 pitchers because Ohtani counts as a positional player and not a pitcher.  I wonder what the rule is on how many games you can play as pitcher vs hitter to count for positional player and not pitcher.  

2 hours ago, Mr-splash said:

Is any media member going to have the balls to ask Hyde who came up with brilliant idea and then issued the order? And if Hyde gives a non answer kind of an answer will he/she restate and ask again? 

Who cares?  Look at the bright side, we learned a lot about "the rest" of our bullpen and it's not pretty.  And, it really isn't a bright side, other than we know that we aren't very deep there either when they need to bring it.  This was a total fail and a really good assessment of our relief corps outside of the few that didn't pitch today.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

There has been a lot leading up to a day like today. Grayson not being good enough. Calling up various pitchers and not using them forcing them to wait out the 15 day period. 

It's a long season and I expect them to be a good team until the end, but they have to figure out a way to better manage innings and call ups so that they can spread out the decent RP with mediocre ones. 

Wrong.  We shouldn't be keeping mediocre relievers on the roster.

I don’t understand the rationale that lead to this decision today. Wouldn’t it have been better to bring up a starter from AAA to start this game? Like anyone would have been better than this. Are we that afraid of loosing Voth and/or Perez? They aren’t good and haven’t really been too good all season.

Then we only allow Akin to pitch an inning and have to use Baker again anyway.

One thing that this game did prove and really show… Half our bullpen is really really bad. Like borderline Major League worthy bad. We have to make some changes just to get guys who can get outs at a Major League average level.

The Guardians came into this game with a .297 team in base %. Think about how bad that is and how good we made them look all series.

21 minutes ago, Winter said:

what makes this not make sense is you just keep GRod an extra turn in the rotation, all for sending him back to AAA but not for this 

I am no baseball moneyball expert, or anything, but common sense tells me that you only send someone down if you have a capable replacement. They clearly didn't.

There are several things I don’t like.  First, I wouldn’t have sent Rodriguez to the minors if I knew this would cause us to throw a bulllen game the next time his start was coming up.  There’s nothing he could have done in a start that would have taxed the bullpen more than this.   Second, if you’re going to do a bullpen game, why have Akin throw only one inning?   He threw multiple innings many times last year.  He wasn’t great in the first inning today, but he wasn’t awful either.  Since you’ve already burned him, try to nurse at least another inning out of him and avoid using one of the other guys if possible.  And third, why didn’t we just use Hall (who could have skipped his turn last night), Rom (who’s starting tonight) or Zimmermann (who is on 5 days’ rest)?   We’ve got an overworked bullpen so why work them more?   Just stupid.  

And by the way, not one of Akin, Voth, Perez or Baumann stepped up.   Poor job by all of them.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are several things I don’t like.  First, I wouldn’t have sent Rodriguez to the minors if I knew this would cause us to throw a bulllen game the next time his start was coming up.  There’s nothing he could have done in a start that would have taxed the bullpen more than this.   Second, if you’re going to do a bullpen game, why have Akin throw only one inning?   He threw multiple innings many times last year.  He wasn’t great in the first inning today, but he wasn’t awful either.  Since you’ve already burned him, try to nurse at least another inning out of him and avoid using one of the other guys if possible.  And third, why didn’t we just use Hall (who could have skipped his turn last night), Rom (who’s starting tonight) or Zimmermann (who is on 5 days’ rest)?   We’ve got an overworked bullpen so why work them more?   Just stupid.  

And by the way, not one of Akin, Voth, Perez or Baumann stepped up.   Poor job by all of them.  

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that because Akin threw 25 pitches in the first, Hyde didn't want to risk him having a repeat second and having Voth come in with traffic on mid-inning. If that guess is anywhere in the ballpark in terms of accuracy, I don't agree with it, and it certainly is a timely parallel to Tony's Take on Hyde being gun-shy with pitchers as soon as they put runner's on/allow runs to score.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You forgot Givens too.  If any of them pitched well it changes the entire dramatics of the game.  I am not sure why they are not stretching out Akin but he has not thrown more then 26 pitches in a game this year.  Maybe they feel they wear him out last year going multiple innings ad why he wasn’t as effective 2nd half of season.

6 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that because Akin threw 25 pitches in the first, Hyde didn't want to risk him having a repeat second and having Voth come in with traffic on mid-inning. If that guess is anywhere in the ballpark in terms of accuracy, I don't agree with it, and it certainly is a timely parallel to Tony's Take on Hyde being gun-shy with pitchers as soon as they put runner's on/allow runs to score.

Yeah his season high is 26 pitches so it doubtful he could give you another inning unless he gets it done on just few pitches.  They maybe could push him to 35 but doubt much more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t understand the rationale that lead to this decision today. Wouldn’t it have been better to bring up a starter from AAA to start this game? Like anyone would have been better than this. Are we that afraid of loosing Voth and/or Perez? They aren’t good and haven’t really been too good all season.

Then we only allow Akin to pitch an inning and have to use Baker again anyway.

One thing that this game did prove and really show… Half our bullpen is really really bad. Like borderline Major League worthy bad. We have to make some changes just to get guys who can get outs at a Major League average level.

The Guardians came into this game with a .297 team in base %. Think about how bad that is and how good we made them look all series.

Irvin is starting today in Norfolk. He would be the logical guy to take Grayson's spot and he was lined up to pitch today. The only reason I can think is they hate Irvin and wanted to take advantage of an off day to rest the bullpen .