Orioles fire Director of Travel Spenser Clark

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah, but he was also a pioneer when it came to applying the use of analytics and the emphasis on launch angle.

It's amazing what freeing your mind of thoughts of sex will do for you. 

3 hours ago, MDS29 said:

Essentially they got in extremely late, Melanie Newman mentioned it briefly on the radio broadcast during the early portion of yesterdays game. No specific details other than they got back extremely late.

They played a night game in NY (7:05pm) and then had to immediately travel by bus from the Bronx to Manhattan and then take an Amtrak from NY to Baltimore. All of that takes time. So it should have been known in advance that they would be getting back late, and of course they knew in advance they wouldn't have a day off upon arriving back in Baltimore. So that doesn't sound like it would have been Clark's fault. Did Melanie imply that there was an unexpected glitch that delayed them longer than expected?

Spenser has a lot going for him. He says he wants to be a general manager someday. He knows his journey is just beginning, but he has great determination. He's already signed up to attend MLB's Diversity Business Summit next March in Phoenix, where he will get a chance to show his stuff to all 30 of our clubs. It takes courage to tell everyone who you are, and what you hope to achieve someday, and even more to go out and try to make it happen. I have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot more about Spenser down the road.

8 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Did he order the plane to take off without Cal?

Wasnt that way back under Davy Johnson?  I think maybe we did let Ripken have special treatment.  Never understood why he stayed in different hotels than the team.  It didnt really make sense to me.  I thought maybe he liked to get up to no good without witnesses.  LOL

2 hours ago, rm5678 said:

They played a night game in NY (7:05pm) and then had to immediately travel by bus from the Bronx to Manhattan and then take an Amtrak from NY to Baltimore. All of that takes time. So it should have been known in advance that they would be getting back late, and of course they knew in advance they wouldn't have a day off upon arriving back in Baltimore. So that doesn't sound like it would have been Clark's fault. Did Melanie imply that there was an unexpected glitch that delayed them longer than expected?

I don't know the guy but years of corporate experience tell me there is something else going on here.  The Orioles have traveled that way periodically for the past 30 years.  He's been on the job for a year so if it were performance related it would require corrective action.    

Or it could be as simple as JA feeling there is only room for one non-practising attorney in the Warehouse.  Admitting I know little of the particulars isn't it a red flag when a recent law school graduate takes a job as a batboy?   

Edited by SemperFi

5 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

I don't know the guy but years of corporate experience tell me there is something else going on here.  The Orioles have traveled that way periodically for the past 30 years.  He's been on the job for a year so if it were performance related it would require corrective action.    

Or it could be as simple as JA feeling there is only room for one non-practising attorney in the Warehouse.  Admitting I know little of the particulars isn't it a red flag when a recent law school graduate takes a job as a batboy?   

Yes the situation screams of a diversity hire just to check some boxes.  Something happened and they just couldnt let it slide.