Moves in the near term

wildcard

So Todays starting lineup

Has Frazier at leadoff (.689 OPS), Mountcastle (.697), Urias (.672), and McCann (.608)

Gunner Henderson (.711) is a solid #5 hitter for this lineup

Our powerful bench has

McKenna (.646), Mateo (.650), Lester (.286)

I thought we had some hitters at AAA??

And for heavens sake stop playing Mountcastle against RHP!

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2023 at 7:05 PM, Bemorewins said:

So just one page back, you didn't see this quote by one poster,

"To answer your other question, I'd trade Norby, Prieto, Hall, and Stowers. But I'd trade Urias, Mateo, and Santander first. I'd trade Mountcastle too, but he might have the least perceived value to other teams of any of those guys."

Not intending to single anyone out, but this is just one of many examples of posters potentially overrating some of our guys.

I dont see an issue with this quote.  That package wont bring back a Verlander obviously, but these are not "scraps" either.  

On 6/5/2023 at 7:33 PM, Bemorewins said:

That person's response was an answer to a question that I posed to them in terms of who they would be willing to trade in order to seriously upgrade our starting rotation.

That response has been typical in terms of when I have asked several posters about who they would be willing to trade. I even had a few posters tell me that what we have is good enough. That Grayson is going to come back soon and be a serious contributor and between he and Means, we will be okay. Now to be fair, when I asked those same few folk which team of our projector playoff opponents would rather have our rotation than theirs, no answer ever comes back.

I guess I haven't been a part of the board long enough just yet to distinguish between the knowledgable/realistic fans and the delusional ones?

It is still highly unlikely that a significant upgrade is coming in a trade at the deadline.  For 1) Too damn many teams are in it and therefore not sellers.  And more importantly, #2) IF there is a significant upgrade available, the price will be higher in capital than the Orioles may go.

There are no obvious upgrades that are obviously available and much of what is thought to be available will be rental.  So any package is too hard to quantify or justify.  You have mentioned Cease a bunch and I like him because of how long we could keep him, but he isn't pitching like a significant upgrade for the 23 season.  Could he be?  Yes.  Would I be interested? Of course.  Would I pay for what he has done or what he has been doing?  That's the whole risk right there for both sides.  But that is still not a deal that makes the O's automatically favored in a single playoff series.

3 hours ago, Safelykept said:

Stand corrected thanx for the spellcheck. Still theres Cobb and Jimenez. point being this ORg. going to have a very hard getting FA here that matter. Org. no longer has the rep it once had

Let me know when the O's offer a top level free agent the most money and he signs elsewhere.

26 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Tomorrow is off for the O's and for Norfolk. Generally those are the days we see some movement. WIll we see Cowser or Westburg?

I would very surprised. Facing mainly RHP next week. With the way Hicks is playing I doubt Cowser comes up yet. 

Let's not be misled.    Beating the Royals does not mean the O's can beat the Blue Jays.  The O's lost series to the Rangers, Guardians and Brewers.    Improvement is needed to get back on a winning track.

I think the O's should:

Cowser and Ortiz up.

McKenna optioned and Lester DFA'd. (To make room over Cowser on the 40 man roster.)

If it were me I would call up Seth Johnson and put him on the 60 day IL, opening a 40 man roster spot for later. (DFAing Lester allows this to happen.)

C- Adley/McCann.   McCann has been hitting righties.  That is where Adley gets his rest from catching.

1B - O'Hearn vs righties,  Mountcastle vs lefties.  I know Mounty hits the Jays well.  I am glad I don't have to make the decision between O'Hearn and Mounty at 1B.

2B - Frazier vs righties,  Ortiz vs lefties (Ortiz is hitting lefties better than Westburg at AAA).  Ortiz defensive replacement in late innings.

SS - Gunnar vs righties,   Mateo vs lefties.  Mateo defensive replacement in late innings.

3B -  Urias vs righties,  Gunnar/Urias vs lefties

LF - Hays

CF - Hicks

RF - Cowser/ Santanders

DH -Adley/Santander/ Cowser

Will EIias make the moves?   The tension mounts.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Let's not be misled.    Beating the Royals does not mean the O's can beat the Blue Jays.  The O's lost series to the Rangers, Guardians and Brewers.    Improvement is needed to get back on a winning track.

I think the O's should:

Cowser and Ortiz up.

McKenna options and Lester DFA'd

If it were me I would call up Seth Johnson and put him on the 60 day IL, opening a 40 man roster spot for later.

C- Adley/McCann.   McCann has been hitting righties.  That is where Adley gets his rest from catching.

1B - O'Hearn vs righties,  Mountcastle vs lefties.  I know Mounty hits the Jays well.  I am glad I don't have to make the decision between O'Hearn and Mounty at 1B.

2B - Frazier vs righties,  Ortiz vs lefties (Ortiz is hitting lefties better than Westburg at AAA).  Ortiz defensive replacement in late innings.

SS - Gunnar vs righties,   Mateo vs lefties.  Mateo defensive replacement in late innings.

LF - Hays

CF - Hicks

RF - Cowser/ Santanders

Based on your playing time above I dont think he would call up Ortiz or Westburg to only play against lefties when they could be getting consistent at bats. Something needs to give in the IF, be it really limiting the playing time of Frazier or Urias. 

As for Cowser. He could be plugged into the OF every single day with Mullins out, so I dont really see why they wouldnt call him up unless he is hurt. He has shown that he has mastered AAA. Plays a strong OF at any position and has a great approach at the plate. 

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's should:

Cowser and Ortiz up.

McKenna optioned and Lester DFA'd. (To make room over Cowser on the 40 man roster.)

If it were me I would call up Seth Johnson and put him on the 60 day IL, opening a 40 man roster spot for later. (DFAing Lester allows this to happen.)

LF - Hays

CF - Hicks

RF - Cowser/ Santanders

When Cowser comes up he should be playing pretty much everyday. He's respectable enough versus lefties that they shouldn't have to hide him. 

I'd bet someone a tall Pepsi that Ortiz could outperform Mateo right now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's should:

Cowser and Ortiz up.

McKenna options and Lester DFA'd

If it were me I would call up Seth Johnson and put him on the 60 day IL, opening a 40 man roster spot for later.

LF - Hays

CF - Hicks

RF - Cowser/ Santanders

Lester was mashing at Norfolk as well.  Home Runs, RBI's and OPS.  Why are you jettisoning now in favor of the others, as if to assume the others will come up and be better??  On what basis is he a DFA candidate for you, just to make room?  That really feels a bit short-sighted.  

I've been really pulling for Mateo, but if we have Ortiz and Henderson, who do we have to defensively replace??  That's just a wasted spot if that's all he is.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Based on your playing time above I dont think he would call up Ortiz or Westburg to only play against lefties when they could be getting consistent at bats. Something needs to give in the IF, be it really limiting the playing time of Frazier or Urias. 

As for Cowser. He could be plugged into the OF every single day with Mullins out, so I dont really see why they wouldnt call him up unless he is hurt. He has shown that he has mastered AAA. Plays a strong OF at any position and has a great approach at the plate. 

I have seen the argument that Ortiz has to play everyday if called up.    However he has been called up already this season and he did not play everyday while up.

Also the O's need to find a way to improve to get back to winning series.  The O's need to hit lefties better.   Ortiz has hit them at AAA.  

When the O's were winning it was already to not put their best team on the field because they were winning with what they had.   That is not true anymore.  Now they are losing to good teams.   They need to make moves to make the team better.  Adding Irvin was one move.   Adding Cowser and Ortiz will be two move.

Getting McKenna and Lester off the 26 man roster and replacement them with better players is the way to get better.

12 minutes ago, terpoh said:

They wouldn't call up Cowser because Hicks is doing just fine right now, and Cowser is not on the 40-man roster, nor is it a necessity to do it right now to placate what we want.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

When Cowser comes up he should be playing pretty much everyday. He's respectable enough versus lefties that they shouldn't have to hide him. 

I'd bet someone a tall Pepsi that Ortiz could outperform Mateo right now. 

I have Cowser playing almost every day.

If Ortiz is on the  26 man roster, Hyde can try him a short and make a decision how often to play him there.

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

They wouldn't call up Cowser because Hicks is doing just fine right now, and Cowser is not on the 40-man roster, nor is it a necessity to do it right now to placate what we want.

I don't have Cowser replacing Hicks.   I have him playing RF/DH with Santander.  

I disagree that there is no necessity to call up Cowser.   The O's have lost series to the Rangers, Guardians and Brewers.   Moves need to be made so the O's don't lose to the Jays and Rays.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would very surprised. Facing mainly RHP next week. With the way Hicks is playing I doubt Cowser comes up yet. 

Can't Cowser play RF and Santander go back and forth between 1B and DH? O'Hearn can rotate between 1B and DH against RH pitching, no?

Hicks can stay in CF until Mullins returns.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's should:

Cowser and Ortiz up.

LF - Hays

CF - Hicks

RF - Cowser/ Santanders

There is no need to lose Lester just DFA Spenser Watkins here is 30 years old with an ERA over 7 in AAA this season.  There are 10 guys in AAA right now that would be better options for a pitcher if we needed one.  

• Upvote 1