Tyler Wells 2023

Mooreisbetter27

1 hour ago, Baltimorecuse said:

In Wells last game he didn't look like he had his best stuff from the gitgo.  Hyde is protecting those starters like crazy which is good.  

I’m thinking the best role for GRod might be to substitute for a different starter each time through the rotation and give everyone a little blow in the second half.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m thinking the best role for GRod might be to substitute for a different starter each time through the rotation and give everyone a little blow in the second half.  

So a six man rotation.

Unless they plan on using the starters for 2-3 inning bullpen stretches on their "skipped" turn, then this would strain the bullpen too much imo.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I could see this given the lack of off days for them in the coming half. 

9 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I could see this given the lack of off days for them in the coming half. 

The problem with this strategy, is again, it neccesitates the starters still pitching on their skip turn, so it is arguable how much it even relieves them.

Also, the O's with their roster construction, wouldn't be in a good position to take advantage of it.  This requires an up- down bullpen.  With most of the O's swing bullpen pieces being out of options, I don't think it works.

35 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The problem with this strategy, is again, it neccesitates the starters still pitching on their skip turn, so it is arguable how much it even relieves them.

Also, the O's with their roster construction, wouldn't be in a good position to take advantage of it.  This requires an up- down bullpen.  With most of the O's swing bullpen pieces being out of options, I don't think it works.

I can see that point as well and do wonder if using some version of a six man rotation would disrupt the routines any of the starters. The lack of off days coming in the second half is going to be a grind. If any of the five starters have an off-day and the bullpen has to be burned, it could be catastrophic. I suspect they will get creative in some way, especially if GrayRod is still throwing well in Norfolk.

Ultimately I think that upgrades to both Irvin’s and Gibson’s spots in the rotation are going to be needed if the O’s are going to legitimately contend. If both of those guys pitch well in the second half and the team continues pace with Tampa/Wildcard #1 then using GrayRod to spell the starters does make sense. 

Middle relief still needs to be addressed. I don’t think GrayRod helps there and I don’t think that either of Gibson or Irvin make sense in the bullpen. I am not confident that they will deal for a starter who is an upgrade over what they have so I am not sure how else they can be creative where they aren’t robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Even though they did say that Wells has  no restrictions this year I could see them limiting his innings at some point, especially if he begins to show fatigue or general ineffectiveness. This is where it really stinks for Means to have had the setback as a healthy John Means is better than both of Irvin and Gibson. 

They have options for starters but they just aren’t any better than what they’re running out there right now, the exception being the potential of GrayRod. Could both Means and GrayRod piggyback other starters to essentially eliminate middle relief? I guess if you go that route you would have to commit to them owning innings, regardless of their effectiveness/ineffectiveness. 

I don’t know. If GrayRod continues to deal in Norfolk I don’t see how they can leave him down there to burn his innings. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Now that's interesting and really novel.  But that shortens the rotation, unless you're going to keep Irvin and GRod.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tyler is a command pitcher who pinpoints some decent stuff.   He uses the changeup a lot usually.   His command has been way off his last two starts.  I don’t recall ever seeing him throw as many breaking pitches as he did today and as few good changeups.   In other words, he didn’t resemble himself at all today despite not getting hit around.

This is a pitcher who had arm issues the last two summers.  I suspect that something isn’t quite right with him.  I guess we’ll see but count me concerned.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tyler is a command pitcher who pinpoints some decent stuff.   He uses the changeup a lot usually.   His command has been way off his last two starts.  I don’t recall ever seeing him throw as many breaking pitches as he did today and as few good changeups.   In other words, he didn’t resemble himself at all today despite not getting hit around.

This is a pitcher who had arm issues the last two summers.  I suspect that something isn’t quite right with him.  I guess we’ll see but count me concerned.

Why would throwing more breaking pitches lead you to believe "that something isn't quite right with him." I'm not saying you are wrong just not understanding your logic.

Just now, Jim'sKid26 said:

Why would throwing more breaking pitches lead you to believe "that something isn't quite right with him." I'm not saying you are wrong just not understanding your logic.

No logical reasoning on the breaking pitches BUT:

1.  It wasn’t his usual pitch usage

2. Command/control off his last two starts

3. Previous arm issues each of the last two years

4. Just a hunch

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No logical reasoning on the breaking pitches BUT:

1.  It wasn’t his usual pitch usage

2. Command/control off his last two starts

3. Previous arm issues each of the last two years

4. Just a hunch

FWIW I think the innings limit is effecting him a bit. He was in a good rhythm before the Allstar break and then had his turn in the rotation skipped. I think it's thrown him off. I could be wrong but I don't see any evidence for an injury. His FB velocity is steady. Most pitchers will tell you that they tend to throw less breaking balls, not more, if they are sore or fatigued. The decreased usage of the CH is typically a sign of rustiness. CH is a feel pitch. It's the first to go when you are haven't thrown in a while and the last pitch to come back. Just my $0.02.

• Upvote 1

I'll leave it to the pitching experts, but I feel now that the idea of putting him in the bullpen deserves serious discussion among the coaching staff and the front office. If they're serious about managing his innings, and if they feel that's a reason why he's struggled in his previous 2 outings after the All Star Break, then it warrants conversation. Especially with how good Cole Irvin and Grayson Rodriguez have performed recently.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Me too.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Me too.  

From the horse's mouth:

"I feel good," Wells said. "I didn't have any issues. I feel strong. I think that right now it's more or less just maintaining my delivery. That's really the only thing for me. As the year goes on you continue to develop bad habits that kind of creep their way in and you don't really recognize them. I'm starting to recognize them now."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-hearn-homer-breaks-tie-and-orioles-increase-division-lead-with-5-3-win

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1