I'm sure at some point I'll have meltdown about Felix later this season..

Roy Firestone

But I have to say, he is really something to watch when he's on. Oh, he will have hiccups and blown saves...he already has. But on a night like this, when EVERYTHING had to be close to perfect...the dude was masterful..And Cano got the double play and even Bauman deserves some credit for getting the K..Right now, I'm just in awe of the back of this pen...but we just cant expect it every single night...GREAT GAME. Can we have a laugher once in a while? Please?

I wish I could have seen it. Last night I read the article on MLB.com they did about Felix Bautista and it got me to thinking of how dominant he's been recently. He's put my anxiety to bed for a while. He's been the guy I love to cheer for.

I know there will be outings when this isn't always the case, but I'm glad to see Felix doing so well. In the video, he talked about how the Orioles coaching staff goes to him and talks with him every time they see a correction that's necessary, and how he works on that, and that it's important to him that they talk/work with him in that way. I saw this during a mound visit Chris Holt made one game. Bautista was struggling, then Holt came out and said something to him through Mateo, and right after that Baustista was OK and got the job done.

I have definitely noticed more fastballs and less splitters since the Judge HR. Makes the splitter even more effective, threw one tonight that wasn't even good but the batter went through it because he was so geared up for the FB. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, vab said:

I have definitely noticed more fastballs and less splitters since the Judge HR. Makes the splitter even more effective, threw one tonight that wasn't even good but the batter went through it because he was so geared up for the FB. 

I just don’t think the splitter works that well that often. Seems like it’s been more off than on this year. 

The fastball is almost always legit. I hate seeing him screw around with the slider or continue to hang splitters on the off-chance he gets one to dive-bomb. 

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

But I have to say, he is really something to watch when he's on. Oh, he will have hiccups and blown saves...he already has. But on a night like this, when EVERYTHING had to be close to perfect...the dude was masterful..And Cano got the double play and even Bauman deserves some credit for getting the K..Right now, I'm just in awe of the back of this pen...but we just cant expect it every single night...GREAT GAME. Can we have a laugher once in a while? Please?

I have been enjoying the ride too, but this looks a lot more like 1989 than 1969 in terms of the inability to beat the living snot out of opponents.  

This is a team that can't afford to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" with regard to any offensive element.  They demonstrably need offensive fixing and yes, I know that means they have to answer some difficult questions about who gets demoted/cut.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just don’t think the splitter works that well that often. Seems like it’s been more off than on this year. 

The fastball is almost always legit. I hate seeing him screw around with the slider or continue to hang splitters on the off-chance he gets one to dive-bomb. 

100%. If a guy with a 100mph fastball who is 6-8 can’t trust his fastball, then who can?!?!

While I didn’t see yesterday’s game, I think the splitter is an important weapon in Felix’s aresenal and when it’s working (which it mostly has been, lately) it’s devastating and pairs extremely well with his fastball.  The slider is a pitch he’ll throw like once an outing just for the element of surprise.   I do not think he’d be as effective if he threw nothing but fastballs.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Last 28 days. 
 12 games

10 games fished

8 saves

13 IP

6 hits

4 walks 

31 strikeouts

Enough said.  Enjoy it.

Well, he did cough up that homer to Judge in that span.  The only run he’s allowed in those 12 games. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Well, he did cough up that homer to Judge in that span.  The only run he’s allowed in those 12 games. 

What I’m saying is that some people want perfection.   I’ve watched Clase, Duran, Doval.  None are as dominant or unhittable as Felix has been.