Blue Jays series - round 2

Frobby

Here come the Blue Jays, and you know they’re out for revenge after we swept them in Toronto.  Here are the matchups:

Bassitt (7-4, 3.29 ERA) vs. Kremer (6-3, 4.89)

Berrios (6-4, 3.61) vs. Bradish (2-2, 4.25)

Kikuchi (6-2, 4.34) vs. Wells (5-2, 3.24)

Last time we played Toronto, only Kikuchi and Kremer appeared in that series.  Kremer allowed 1 run in 5.1 IP despite yielding 9 hits; Kikuchi allowed 3 runs in 4.2 innings.

If it comes down to the relievers, the O’s have a bullpen ERA of 3.31 to 3.75 for Toronto.  

Somewhat surprisingly, the O’s have had a more productive offense than the Jays, 4.97 runs per game to 4.60.   Interestingly, the Jays have hit RHP significantly better than LHP, and they’ve hit significantly better on the road than at home. 

Overall, it should be a tough series.  Hopefully our starting pitchers will er at the top of their games.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here come the Blue Jays, and you know they’re out for revenge after we swept them in Toronto.  Here are the matchups:

Bassitt (7-4, 3.29 ERA) vs. Kremer (6-3, 4.89)

Berrios (6-4, 3.61) vs. Bradish (2-2, 4.25)

Kikuchi (6-2, 4.34) vs. Wells (5-2, 3.24)

Last time we played Toronto, only Kikuchi and Kremer appeared in that series.  Kremer allowed 1 run in 5.1 IP despite yielding 9 hits; Kikuchi allowed 3 runs in 4.2 innings.

If it comes down to the relievers, the O’s have a bullpen ERA of 3.31 to 3.75 for Toronto.  

Somewhat surprisingly, the O’s have had a more productive offense than the Jays, 4.97 runs per game to 4.60.   Interestingly, the Jays have hit RHP significantly better than LHP, and they’ve hit significantly better on the road than at home. 

Overall, it should be a tough series.  Hopefully our starting pitchers will er at the top of their games.  

Yr post made me realize embarrassingly late how lacking we've been in southpaw starters--a lot depends on Irvin, who won't be pitching in this series.

AL Active Roster K-BB ranks at 50 innings (all 6 guys have mostly been hosses, Wells has entered AL Top 10)

(40) Bassitt vs. (41) Kremer   -   both guys are at 13.3% - Bassitt beating Kremer by 120 points of BABIP, some of which I believe is skill.

(37) Berrios vs. (31) Bradish

(33) Kikuchi vs. (9) Wells

Berrios and Manoah have kind of flip flopped.    '23 Berrios not as great as '22 Manoah, but on his LTC they can breathe a little easier now.

Except Wells, all these guys are Bottom Half even among 50 IP attainers league wide.

I heard surprising trivia that despite the TOR fences being closer this year, Vlad in mid-June still has zero home HR.   His road OPS is beating home about 960-610.

Age 35 Brandon Belt, and age 33 Kevin Kiermaier missed Sunday's game with small injuries, and may or may not be there tonight.    The 162 grind is about 40% done.

Like KC Carlos Hernandez, TOR Nate Pearson has found a productive bullpen role, same as I hope for DL Hall whenever.    Hernandez and Pearson were once big SP prospects too.

HOU and MIN pitching held their Bats relatively quiet last week, before a big rally Sunday.    The Jays pitched even better against the Astros to win 3 of 4 in an unusual style for them.     This is the beginning of a BAL-TEX-MIA roadtrip for them, close to if not one of the year's longest.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Betcha Mountcastle starts vs. Kikuchi...... 

He better!

I like missing Gausman, even though we always play him pretty well and I low-key enjoy how annoying that must be to him. 

Sweeping the Jays in their park was definitely the highlight of the year for me. There's really nothing better outside of doing the same to the Yankees. 

I don't really see why we can't win this series except to say that we have been better on the road than at home. Whether or not you believe there's anything behind that other than noise. One thing is for sure: the ball will be flying. 

My big question: will Kremer leave his stupid cutter in the bullpen where it belongs, or will he be giving up home runs? The choice is up to him. Shake off the cutter, Dean. 

Its fun to see Chris Bassitt as the first non-Royals SP opponent for leadoff Gunnar.

Looks like we'll see Jameson Taillon this week as well, going through some guys Elias passed on at 5x or 6x the Kyle Gibson outlay.

How well the Orioles Bats can or cannot handle Bassitt specifically the next few years could impact some AL East races.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

This series scares me. I know they are under performing but Toronto feels like  sleeping giant to me, and I hope they don't wake up this week.

Don't worry. If things start to look tough, all Hyde has to do is talk to Schneider enough to make him forget how many times a Blue Jay coach has visted the mound and then pick a new pitcher!

Berrios has kept the runs off the board last 3 turns, but the peripherals have gone south.

All the same stuff from yesterday about Bassitt applies to Berrios too for the races between the Adley and Vlad teams this decade.     The Jays have more or less put all their pillars in place, and I believe they will have a tough time keeping Matt Chapman with Vlad/Bo both still tick tocking through Arb.

I hadn't noticed day game Thursday until last night, so come 7pm it is one of those 2 games in 20 hours mid-week times.