Yanks website disturbed at Hicks instant success blame coaches and tout Oriole fix on day one.

Gurgi

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

On many levels. 

Especially for the pundits who elevated his prospect stature waaaay above what he had earned simply because he was in the Yankee system. I hope nobody ever takes them seriously again. 

It's not just with the bat, apparently.  Seems like he's old Jeter in the field, too, which is hilarious.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

People man..people.

I get it, people want to think that the guy they landed who was on the outs for another team is going to go on a tear and become completely legit.  And it happens with a guy like Jose Bautista or Max Muncy from time to time.  

But the moaning and groaning over a heater in the first couple weeks is over the top and silly.  

These are the times when I would love to listen to Mike Francessa and Chris Russo's show when I lived in NYC. Francessa would be completely shocked that the Yankees could fail at anything, and then Russo would go apoplectic.

To be fair to the Yankees, they still have a good CF in Bader. 

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not just with the bat, apparently.  Seems like he's old Jeter in the field, too, which is hilarious.

Split decision there.  +3 Rtot, +4 Rdrs, -2 .0 UZR, -2 OAA.   That’s not awful any way you slice it, really.  He made a few slick plays when we saw him.

He’s gotten worse at the plate each month, and has gotten very impatient.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

These are the times when I would love to listen to Mike Francessa and Chris Russo's show when I lived in NYC. Francessa would be completely shocked that the Yankees could fail at anything, and then Russo would go apoplectic.

To be fair to the Yankees, they still have a good CF in Bader. 

Yea but they had to to give up Montgomery to get him. If they didn’t stupidly give Hicks the deal they did and instead acquired a CFer in a better way, they may not have to trade for Bader.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Very enjoyable to read this, on multiple levels.  First, anything that makes Yankee fans unhappy makes me deliriously happy.   Second, I really do think our hitting coaches do an excellent job, both in the minors and in the majors.  

As to the “Hicks fix,” it’s worthwhile to note that he hit .353/.450/.647 in his last 7 games with the Yankees.  The timing of him being cut was something of a mystery.  In any event, he came along just when we needed him, and Elias is looking pretty smart for picking him up.  I’m sure he’ll cool off, but he has given us a boost at just the right moment while Mullins was out and Cowser was on the IL himself.   

Supposedly Elias had interest before he got DFA. Hicks along with Lester, and the other first base depth he added, plus  Danny Coulombe ( I wont mention a certain infielder) add in the Lopez trade from last year (Cano) not to mention 2nd best record in baseball, Is he on a run of blind luck or is he as good as some people on this board think he is. For my money were lucky to have Elias.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They need to get more reliant on their farm system. Every single championship team in sports, outside of maybe the occasional NBA champ that trades/buys players and titles, is largely built from the inside.

Why franchises can’t figure this out is beyond me but I will sit back and not care when the Yankees reel in the “big free agents” because ultimately, it’s likely a contract that will fail.

Not disagreeing with you, but how did you feel about Peter's big spending spree in the mid '90s? I always like to "play the kids" but I was pretty stoked at all those gaudy free agents of ours. (Though we paid the price long term and got little to show for it, '96-'97.)

2 minutes ago, now said:

Not disagreeing with you, but how did you feel about Peter's big spending spree in the mid '90s? I always like to "play the kids" but I was pretty stoked at all those gaudy free agents of ours. (Though we paid the price long term and got little to show for it, '96-'97.)

I’m not saying you don’t sign FAs..but you don’t become reliant upon them and make them everything about your team.

• Upvote 1