Orioles To Designate Spenser Watkins For Assignment

RVAOsFan

So that frees a 40 man spot but puts us short a pitcher. Still need to make another move if we are adding Cowser/Westburg. I do think Lester is the guy to move. O'Hearn should not be playing outfield while Cowser is an option.

If Watkins passes through can he refuse the assignment and elect free agency?

9 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

It is a bit of a strange decision to me.  Watkins the person seems like a great dude and a good story but I've never really been a fan of Watkins the pitcher.  To me, fair or not, he represented kind of the worst part of the rebuild, just filling the roster with warm bodies rather than making an attempt to actually improve the team.

That said, they held on to him for this long, why DFA him now?  Just seems like odd timing to me, but to frank I don't understand most of the decisions they make with the ML roster.

I agree on both points. I know Watkins had a small run of success last year, but I never thought that meant he had become good. It's a big part of why I get a little frustrated when people point to the inflated home run totals of 2019 and 2021 as being such an issue - they were running out a bunch of cannon fodder like Watkins instead of trying build a competitive staff, of course the results were bad. 

I'm not going to anticipate an exciting call-up, based on how things have been done so far. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Probably just opening space for next move but I imagine this is to bring back Mountcastle.

You don't need to DFA from the 40-man to add Mountcastle. He's already on the 40-man, just on the 10-day IL. 

Edited by interloper

14 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

He has a 2.00 WHIP in Norfolk 

Yeah, he's not good.  He never was, though I tip my cap to him for giving us a month or so of serviceable starts last year.  But they kept him through all of his not-goodness, just seems to weird to DFA him now.

Just now, interloper said:

You don't need to DFA from the 40-man to add Mountcastle. He's already on the 40-man. 

Like I said in my post it’s probably to open up space for a corresponding move. Westburg and Cowser could be next but I believe the spot on 25 man is for Mountcastle.