Orioles To Designate Spenser Watkins For Assignment

RVAOsFan

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They aren't required to but Bemboom now puts them at 12 pitchers/14 hitters. Seems another move is coming soon, if not today.

They have 13 pitchers now.  Gillaspie replaced Watkins on the 26-man.  Benboom replaced him on the 40-man and Godoy on the 26-man.

So again, going back to Watkins...

I don't think he's good, but he never has been.  But this organization has kept him around for about 2 years now...only to DFA him so they can add Anthony Benboom to the 40-man roster?  Who, let's be real, will probably then be DFA'd when McCann comes back.  End of the day it probably makes little to no difference, but some of the moves are just hard to explain the reasoning for.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

So again, going back to Watkins...

I don't think he's good, but he never has been.  But this organization has kept him around for about 2 years now...only to DFA him so they can add Anthony Benboom to the 40-man roster?  Who, let's be real, will probably then be DFA'd when McCann comes back.  End of the day it probably makes little to no difference, but some of the moves are just hard to explain the reasoning for.

I'm assuming it has to do with the pitching schedule. Maybe Gillaspie had just pitched and they had to go with Watkins. It's usually something like that. Also, it's almost guaranteed he clears waivers, but he can refuse the assignment.

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t understand why they don’t want to field the best team possible. It’s just so odd.

The only thing I can think of is that we'd have to get rid of established players who are part of a team with one of the best records in baseball to call them up and there's a chance they will massively struggle. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I think this is short-sighted, and surely SOMEONE out of our mass of talented position player prospects would be an improvement over some of the guys on the team, but I can't get too mad when the team is doing great.

Maverick Handley as to be wondering what it's going to take to get his shot at backup catcher. The organization clearly doesn't believe in him at all. This is to say nothing of Cowser, Westburg, etc.