If the Orioles DFA’d Mateo…

Sports Guy

Mateo DFA  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your reaction if the Os DFA’d Mateo?

• It’s about time!
    • What are they thinking!?!?
    • Wouldn’t really care either way
    • I get it but don’t agree with it

On 6/26/2023 at 12:07 AM, Gurgi said:

You watch.....Elias will get something for Mateo.  Maybe it will be some kids in the Dominican Summer League that probably wont amount to much but they will be lottery tickets.   Mateo has value to a team that is failing and can afford to play him at SS everyday or has some value as a pinch runner defensive replacement.  

The problem with him on a rebuilding team is he has only 2 more years of control I believe. So how much is that really worth to them AND wasn’t that what he was here and couldn’t really make it work? He’s 27 at some point there might be a realization that he is what he is.

As far as the pinch runner/defensive replacement role, how much is that really worth? Seems like it would be better to just keep him here to use him for that.

Lastly, VERY FEW, and I mean it happens with very little regularity do teams use defensive replacements at SS because he can’t afford to go most of the game with bad defense there. Usually if I guy is good enough defensively to play there you don’t replace him in the late innings.

For example, while Mateo is a better defensive SS than Gunnar, it’s not enough of a difference to use Mateo over him as Gunnar is a good enough SS himself. I just don’t see very many if any teams employing such a strategy with Mateo.

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, 2001OriolesFan said:

Has anybody heard of any team expressing an interest in Mateo?

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner.   If there is really any outside interest, a deal should be made.  And there might be some interest, but there's not a ton of trade value for him right now.  I can't think of one team in dire need of a shortstop of Mateo's overall caliber.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, 2001OriolesFan said:

Has anybody heard of any team expressing an interest in Mateo?

No. Why would they? People/posters keep talking about trading him. I’m like if he was available would we want him at all? Let alone be willing to give up anything for him? 

We may need to face the reality soon that he is a less fast, better defensive version of Billy Hamilton.

Don’t get me wrong, I love speed and athleticism on the team to utilize as weapons. But if your offense is so bad it cancels out the value you bring with those other tools.

I made this observation about him before, but it is one thing to not be seeing the ball well but once in awhile get into one (that to me is a prolonged slump), he has hit so few balls with authority (fair or foul) it makes me wonder what’s really going on?

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

The problem with him on a rebuilding team is he has only 2 more years of control I believe. So how much is that really worth to them AND wasn’t that what he was here and couldn’t really make it work? He’s 27 at some point there might be a realization that he is what he is.

As far as the pinch runner/defensive replacement role, how much is that really worth? Seems like it would be better to just keep him here to use him for that.

Lastly, VERY FEW, and I mean it happens with very little regularity do teams use defensive replacements at SS because he can’t afford to go most of the game with bad defense there. Usually if I guy is good enough defensively to play there you don’t replace him in the late innings.

For example, while Mateo is a better defensive SS than Gunnar, it’s not enough of a difference to use Mateo over him as Gunnar is a good enough SS himself. I just don’t see very many if any teams employing such a strategy with Mateo.

All your points sound logical.  

3 hours ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

That tells you something.

IMO he should have been dealt prior to the season after FA signings when his value was highest.  He was "linked" to a number of teams at that time including the Dodgers who still need a SS.  Not sure if he's an upgrade at this point, it appears Elias overplayed his hand. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This isn’t even 2 weeks old and I wonder how many people would vote differently today?

I'm still not ready to just DFA him. His defense alone is too valuable, and we should be able to get some sort of scratch-off ticket for him at a minimum.

Also, I thought you were more of a proponent of bench strength/depth. I know you're high on Ortiz's defense, but it's Mateo's combination of defense AND speed that makes him such a valuable bench piece. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This isn’t even 2 weeks old and I wonder how many people would vote differently today?

Not sure what/if I voted then.  But now it's some type of mash up for the last two with a twist of "Were there no takers in a trade?" and a confused emoji.

It appears Mateo is only really going to get some starts vs LHP and off the bench as a defensive replacement/PR. 

It's hard to fathom just much he destroyed his value over the last 2 months. I don't know if he's so much better than Gunnar and Ortiz at SS that it warrants carrying him much longer. However, I can see the argument that he might be useful in a playoff scenario. The same kind of argument exists for Frazier. 

I don't know. 

Mountcastle is probably more valuable as a platoon 1B bat than Mateo is as a defensive/speed guy on the bench. We have 3 guys on the active roster who can play SS if Mateo is DFA'd. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

It appears Mateo is only really going to get some starts vs LHP and off the bench as a defensive replacement/PR. 

It's hard to fathom just much he destroyed his value over the last 2 months. I don't know if he's so much better than Gunnar and Ortiz at SS that it warrants carrying him much longer. However, I can see the argument that he might be useful in a playoff scenario. The same kind of argument exists for Frazier. 

I don't know. 

Mountcastle is probably more valuable as a platoon 1B bat than Mateo is as a defensive/speed guy on the bench. We have 3 guys on the active roster who can play SS if Mateo is DFA'd. 

It's not hard to fathom, he just showed us who he really is.  He regressed to his mean very quickly.

Mountcastle isn't more valuable.   

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not hard to fathom, he just showed us who he really is.  He regressed to his mean very quickly.

Mountcastle isn't more valuable.   

He hasn't been with Mateo starting at SS simply because of Mateo's defense and insane April. What I'm saying is, is a platoon bat Mounty more valuable than a barely-playing, bench-riding Mateo? I say yes, simply because of the power potential vs LHP. 

That said, it really just depends on what's going on with Mounty. 

2 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I'm still not ready to just DFA him. His defense alone is too valuable, and we should be able to get some sort of scratch-off ticket for him at a minimum.

Also, I thought you were more of a proponent of bench strength/depth. I know you're high on Ortiz's defense, but it's Mateo's combination of defense AND speed that makes him such a valuable bench piece. 

DFA doesn’t mean you just drop them. You have 10 days to trade them, ala what Seattle just did with Flexen.

And yea, I want a good bench but we can only have so many players on the bench and speed isn’t enough of a reason to keep him on the bench with our roster construction.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

DFA doesn’t mean you just drop them. You have 10 days to trade them, ala what Seattle hurt did with Flexen.

And yea, I want a good bench but we can only have so many players on the bench and speed isn’t enough of a reason to keep him on the bench with our roster construction.

I think someone will trade for him.   I hope that they are willing to eat salary as well.   I am ready for a Gunnar/Ortiz/Westburg infield.   Let Frazier play a couple of times a week giving guys a day off.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Mateo since you started the thread: .077/.294/.154 for a .448 OPS in 6 games.  It's just abysmal to watch him at the plate.