Snell/Hader package

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Heck yeah I'd be interested in that. As always depends on the cost. I wonder if Basallo is someone they would be interested in? Their C's are hitting .140 and .200. 

They have a 16 year old catcher in A ball named Salas that is the future.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are talking about the same ERod who is currently hurt and has a history of injuries and inconsistencies, right?

Yes that one. The same one who is making a rehab start on Thursday. We are not talking about what guys have been for their careers. We are talking about what they are doing this season. I have watched both pitch on a few occasions this year and I would much rather have Eduardo this year.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, in the SSS of this year, ERod has been excellent. I brought his name up 2 months ago on this board as a target.

However, he’s hurt again and you don’t know what he will be after the injury or how long it takes him to get back.

He's beginning his rehab this week. There is plenty of time for him to make it back to the Major League mound over the next 4/5 weeks so that the O's can evaluate if he is still the same dude that he was pre-injury.

It would greatly annoy me if they were to give up real prospect capital to acquire Snell, when they could have just signed Wacha in the off-season. 

I still think the White Sox guys are the best targets. Giolito is a rental, so that might be a guy you could acquire via some combination of Ortiz/Norby/Hall/Stowers/Beavers/Prieto/etc. Maybe go after Kopech with a couple of those guys and see if there are tweaks that could be made to unlock more of his potential. Maybe Cease is available for less than you'd think because he hasn't pitched like an ace this year (of course, maybe he isn't actually an ace, given that he's only done that once). Building a package for Cease with GrayRod as the centerpiece is an interesting idea.

55 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Who is an example of a #1 that is going to be available?

Also, it is possible that both of the Met's big guys becomes available at the deadline if they do not pick it up. They are already 8 behind for the last wildcard spot.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Yes that one. The same one who is making a rehab start on Thursday. We are not talking about what guys have been for their careers. We are talking about what they are doing this season. I have watched both pitch on a few occasions this year and I would much rather have Eduardo this year.

The thing is, while guys do have career years, you usually are what you always are.

ERod is enticing, I don’t disagree but I’m not sold on him as being better than Snell. He certainly hasn’t been over the course of their careers.

3 minutes ago, deward said:

It would greatly annoy me if they were to give up real prospect capital to acquire Snell, when they could have just signed Wacha in the off-season. 

I still think the White Sox guys are the best targets. Giolito is a rental, so that might be a guy you could acquire via some combination of Ortiz/Norby/Hall/Stowers/Beavers/Prieto/etc. Maybe go after Kopech with a couple of those guys and see if there are tweaks that could be made to unlock more of his potential. Maybe Cease is available for less than you'd think because he hasn't pitched like an ace this year (of course, maybe he isn't actually an ace, given that he's only done that once). Building a package for Cease with GrayRod as the centerpiece is an interesting idea.

They aren’t trading Grayson.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Ohtani is nit going to be on the market. The Angels have repeatedly said that they aren't moving him. I agree about Bieber's K-rate and velo. But he's still better than what we have. Eduardo Rodriguez was pitching like a Cy Young, he has pitched much better than the Snells, Giolitos of the world this year. As a matter of fact, I would be very confident with us facing ANYBODY with the way that he has pitched this year.

Yes the MIA guys are all under control for multiple years beyond this season, that's why they are appealing. They need hitting and they have too much pitching, kind of the opposite of us.

You speak with a lot of certainty as though you know something definite regarding the future. If so, kudos to you! I don't have that luxury. But I am not going to dismiss possibilities to chase the Snells and Giolitos of the world. I am confident that their acquisitions will not be sufficient when matching up with the McClanahans, Coles, Javiers, Grays, Ryans, Valdezes and Gausmans of the world.

Besides, we are going to need a front line rotation starter next year any way, so I would like to see us solve this issues for the next few years if possible. But if we have to go after guys who are going to be FA at season's end or have opt-outs, Eduardo Rodriguez is the guy. Btw, he is preparing to make a rehab on Thursday, so he will be back in time to be available at the deadline.

Bemore, I want a #1 too! I would love a McClanahan, Cole etc. But those guys aren't for sale. If Miami made Luzardo available (under control through 2026), I would 100% support the Orioles putting together a package for him. But I haven't heard a single TOR name that has even a remote chance of being available, so I am not sure why you are banging on about the Orioles getting one. I also haven't heard any rumors about Miami wanting to make another pitcher-for-hitter swap.

On the other hand, the second tier guys will a) actually exist on the trade market, b) be reasonable for the Orioles to acquire, and c) bolster a rotation that still feels like four or five question marks plus Gibson. Getting Snell, Giolito, or someone like that would be a big boost for the rotation, even if they are not number 1 arms. I agree with you that E-Rod would be a good get, but he belongs in the Giolito tier, with Bieber being a tier below IMO. Yes, E-Rod has been great this year, but he is a 30-year-old who has a track record well beyond the 11 starts he has made this year.

3 minutes ago, deward said:

I hear you on the CHI SOX guys. But none of them has pitched like an ace this season. With the overabundance of org talent that we have, I would like for us to set our sights higher and acquire a pitcher who can matchup with the big boys in the AL postseason. We are going to need that piece along with a good bullpen arm to win 3 rounds in the AL this year. The competition in our league is fierce! IMO we are not going to be able to luck our way through and get hot like the Phillies did last year in the NL. The AL is way to good this year.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Also, it is possible that both of the Met's big guys becomes available at the deadline if they do not pick it up. They are already 8 behind for the last wildcard spot.

Scherzer could be a decent get, but I don't think the team will want to be on the hook for his $43MM player option next season. With his age and relative decline this season I wouldn't put him much ahead of the other guys we have discussed.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing is, while guys do have career years, you usually are what you always are.

ERod is enticing, I don’t disagree but I’m not sold on him as being better than Snell. He certainly hasn’t been over the course of their careers.

Guys have career years. For whatever reason, (before the injury) everything seemed to come together for Eduardo Rodriguez this season. If he have that guy on our roster and we get a good 6/7th inning reliever, I would be VERY confident in us running to the World Series and possibly winning it. 

Top of the rotation starter and an effective middle reliever are truly our ONLY weaknesses. Shoring two those things up, puts us a the front of the pack or at least right there with the Rays IMO.

7 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Bemore, I want a #1 too! I would love a McClanahan, Cole etc. But those guys aren't for sale. If Miami made Luzardo available (under control through 2026), I would 100% support the Orioles putting together a package for him. But I haven't heard a single TOR name that has even a remote chance of being available, so I am not sure why you are banging on about the Orioles getting one. I also haven't heard any rumors about Miami wanting to make another pitcher-for-hitter swap.

On the other hand, the second tier guys will a) actually exist on the trade market, b) be reasonable for the Orioles to acquire, and c) bolster a rotation that still feels like four or five question marks plus Gibson. Getting Snell, Giolito, or someone like that would be a big boost for the rotation, even if they are not number 1 arms. I agree with you that E-Rod would be a good get, but he belongs in the Giolito tier, with Bieber being a tier below IMO. Yes, E-Rod has been great this year, but he is a 30-year-old who has a track record well beyond the 11 starts he has made this year.

Eduardo's start to the season might be a mirage or the injury may have changed things for him. If I am the O's, I am closely following him through the deadline. Because what I say from him this year is the exact kind of guy the O's need in order to beat the Yankees, Rangers, and/or Rays.

With the roster as is or if we make a meh addition like Snell or Giolitio, I don't think we can get past any of those teams. I am not even sure we could beat the Twins or Astros. In the post season, you are going to have to win some 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 type of games. We need somebody who can hold the Rays or a fully healthy Yankees lineup in check. Because their front end guys are not going to give up a ton of runs. 

We beat Kirby on Sunday in a way that felt like a formula for postseason success. But I am not very confident that we will consistently get that out of Bradish against the best offenses in the league. Even if this is who Bradish is, we are going to need more than him and Wells. 

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Guys have career years. For whatever reason, (before the injury) everything seemed to come together for Eduardo Rodriguez this season. If he have that guy on our roster and we get a good 6/7th inning reliever, I would be VERY confident in us running to the World Series and possibly winning it. 

Top of the rotation starter and an effective middle reliever are truly our ONLY weaknesses. Shoring two those things up, puts us a the front of the pack or at least right there with the Rays IMO.

Well, everything hasn’t come together for him. His whiff% still isn’t great. His BABIP is a little on the lucky side. His numbers indicate he’s more of a 3-3.5 ERA guy, which is where Snell is.

We’re 6.5 up on Hou/LAA for the last WC spot. We’re 4 back from TB for the division. There’s still lots of unknowns before the deadline. 

Is the division in play?  Is Mclanahan out for TB?  Means?  Irvin?  Grayson?  What does the AL Central race look like?  Is a SP that is available even that much better than what we have?  Cost?

Buying a reliever may make more sense. 

However, I’d be cautious if we’re out of the division race, and it’s a seller’s market. Our franchise is geared for a 6-10 year run of winning. After all the losing, I don’t think there will be an arm available to justify it. And when you start buying mediocre talent, you tend to lose those trades. Pearce 2.0. Parra. Feldman.