Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

45 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

34 today. Most of my points were on the Blue Jays 200 game winner.

Impressive.  My most points were from the Wash 200 game winner.  I thought the Expo path would help...  Not really.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:56 PM, Jurczak said:

Combined for a .1 on the Os portion. Jeff Manto .04, Scott Moore .02, and Jeff Fiorentino .04. Got a .008 on Casper Wells in the As outfield. Bombed out on the negro leagues and ended up 8/9.

They’re giving everyone an incentive to learn a little bit about the Negro Leagues, which is good.   I looked at a list of the Negro League players who are in the Hall of Fame (some of them also played in the AL/NL later), and I only knew 13 of the 34.  But I haven’t missed a Negro League question yet   

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

They’re giving everyone an incentive to learn a little bit about the Negro Leagues, which is good.   I looked at a list of the Negro League players who are in the Hall of Fame (some of them also played in the AL/NL later), and I only knew 13 of the 34.  But I haven’t missed a Negro League question yet   

I’m definitely for it. I got Larry Doby at 1B which I felt good about but I definitely need to brush up. My wrong guess was Hank Aaron. I thought his career started earlier I guess.

Got a pretty good one going, 8/8 so far totalling 37 points, and 7 of the 8 played for the Orioles at one point.

Have hit a wall trying to come up with Dbacks/White Sox.   Gonna leave it alone for a few hours and see if it can percolate in my brain until something clicks.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 40 Orioles Grid today

Hide contents

Luis Polonia, Dave Kingman, Rollie Fingers

Cecil Fielder, Gregg Jeffries, Hank Greenberg

Eddie Murray, Mike Bordick, Vladimir Guerrero

Was thinking about Luis Aparicio for the Orioles HoFer and I probably should have gone that route. 

What did you get for Oriole HOF. I got 0.7, but it wasn’t the two you mentioned. I got 97 overall. Had a lot of popular answers.

9/9, 19 rarity score, all 9 squares filled with Orioles!   19 ties my all time best.   And it took less than 10 minutes, so you taxpayers who pay my salary don't have much to gripe about.

Spoiler

Don Baylor 3%, Mike Bordick 0.5%, Reggie Jackson 9%

Fred Lynn 2%, James McCann 2%, George Kell 0.7%

Mark McLemore 0.6%, Elliott Maddox 0.2%, Luis Aparicio 0.7%

I'll never do any better

• Upvote 3

Today I learned Andy Van Slyke was the 6th overall pick as an American high schooler, had a 40 WAR career, but was toast by 34.

3-4-5 before him were Washington quarterback Jay Schroeder, Juan Bustabad and other ex-Oriole Brad Komminsk.

I remember football announcers saying Schroeder "played baseball" back in the day, but didn't know the game well enough then to appreciate he was nearly Mauer, Wieters, Adley, etc. on draft pedigree.     Mauer famously had the Bobby Bowden QB offer, and I guess Schroeder kind of went that life path.

The scouting director picking Bustabad that high must not have been superstitious about names.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I had a 9/9 57 yesterday.

Baylor, Henderson, Hunter

Lynn, Scherzer, Gehringer

Ford, Bordick, R. Roberts

i had better guesses for Mets/As (Isringhausen) and A’s Hall of Famer (Grove), but I wasn’t quite sure of either one, and I’ve been burned lately on “think so but not quite sure” answers several times and decided not to risk it   

Today, on the other hand, was a mess, as I had nothing but wild guesses for PIT/LA and PIT/CLE.  

Got a 9/9 today for a high score of 172. Was able to use a former Oriole in bottom right.

Spoiler

Jackie Robinson (67), Larry Doby (46), Minnie Minoso (51)

Joe Beimel (.3), Brian Giles (4), Dovydas Neverauskas (.2)

Pete Reiser (.2), Emmanuel Clase (2), Everth Cabrera (.07)