Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

56 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 100 

Hide contents

Oil Can Boyd, Mickey Tettleton, Evan Carter

Rick Ankiel, Jack Clark, Yadier Molina

Mark Langston, Jay Buhner, Cal Raleigh

9/9 74 today.  I love it when I can answer Texas Rangers questions with 1960’s Washington Senators.  I grew up with those teams and they had lots of bad, obscure players. Got 0.08% for my Rangers RF today.  

How many points did your Texas player who only played for one team cost you?  I thought of him, but used a similarly situated player who burned me by being the most popular answer.  Cost 36 of my 74 points and I was kicking myself for not using your guy.  

For my St. Louis one team guy I used a former Oriole farmhand who scored 0.1%.  My Seattle RF also was a former Oriole and scored 0.1%.   So, I had a few good answers today.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

9/9 74 today.  I love it when I can answer Texas Rangers questions with 1960’s Washington Senators.  I grew up with those teams and they had lots of bad, obscure players. Got 0.08% for my Rangers RF today.  

How many points did your Texas player who only played for one team cost you?  I thought of him, but used a similarly situated player who burned me by being the most popular answer.  Cost 36 of my 74 points and I was kicking myself for not using your guy.  

For my St. Louis one team guy I used a former Oriole farmhand who scored 0.1%.  My Seattle RF also was a former Oriole and scored 0.1%.   So, I had a few good answers today.  

30% for Evan Carter.  I wasn't thinking he'd score that high, but he did.  He was the most popular answer I had.  So less than yours, but not by much.  

8/9, 184.

A technical error cost me 9 of 9, I didn't realize I had clicked on a different square than I thought and typed the name of a guy I intended for another square.

I did manage to use Orioles for all 6 of the possible ones, obviously I couldn't use them for the only-one-team guy, though Frobby managed to use an Oriole minor leaguer for one of them.

Spoiler

Texas/Washington (Montreal) -- Vladimir Guerrero
Texas RF -- Sammy Sosa
SL/Washington -- Matt Wieters
SL RF -- Tito Landrum
Sea/Washington -- Nelson Cruz
Sea RF -- Adam Jones (took a guess and got lucky)

I used Evan Carter for Texas whole career, and Edgar Martinez for Seattle whole career.

I probably would have gone with Yadi Molina for St Louis whole career if I hadn't blown a guess by putting Matt Wieters in St Louis whole career because I thought I was in a different box than I was.

9/9, 58.

I made the same mistake assuming rookies would be a low score and got 31 of my 58 on Evan Carter.

Spoiler

Alfonso Soriano | Craig Gentry | Evan Carter

Matt Adams | Albert Pujols | John Rodriguez

Jose Vidro | Dominic Canzone | Logan Gilbert

Middle right is an obscure player I only know of because I have the displeasure of playing against him in a softball league here in NYC. He charges a per-game fee to his team to play. My team lost to his in the championship last summer, and after the game he was complaining to the commissioner that the MVP trophy wasn't nice enough. 

8/9 120 today and believe it or not I screwed up the Orioles 10-game winner category.  I thought a certain relief pitcher had a vulture season where he won 10 games, but turns out he only won 8.   My second choice got 0.06%.  Damn!   Had to leave the Dodgers 10-game winner square blank, and I had plenty of answers for that.  Probably blew a good shot at a score of <25 with that mistake.  I did well on the Negro League questions, though I probably only know about 10 guys who played there.  

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I got 0.5% combined with the Orioles row which I'm proud of.

I went with Zack Britton (.300 hitter), Will Clark (10 HR), and the vulture himself Mike Baumann for 10 wins.

Will Clark was a riskier pick than I realized (had 10 exactly), but it worked out.

I had a 0.63% for the Orioles row. I would have never thought to take Britton for .300 hitter.

4 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I got 0.5% combined with the Orioles row which I'm proud of.

I went with Zack Britton (.300 hitter), Will Clark (10 HR), and the vulture himself Mike Baumann for 10 wins.

Will Clark was a riskier pick than I realized (had 10 exactly), but it worked out.

Hmm. That’s good to know. I assumed they would have had to been batting title eligible. I would have used Howie Clark.

9/9, 107.  96 of my 107 points came from the Negro League row.  All Orioles for the other two rows.

Spoiler

Jackie Robinson, Josh Gibson, Don Newcombe.

Tommy Davis, Eddie Murray, Fernando Valenzuela

Ken Singleton, Rick Dempsey, Bob Milacki.

9/9, 177.   Nothing special, was having trouble with a few squares so I didn't worry about rarity, just about finishing it.

I did find a few obscure spots to put Orioles, and I probably set the record for the heaviest column ever.

Spoiler

Obscure Orioles:  Keith Moreland for Det/Phi 0.1%, Travis Snyder for Pitt/Left Field 0.6%, Steve Pearce for Toronto/Left FIeld 0.2%.

Heaviest column ever:  Milwaukee/Pittsburgh Dan Vogelbach, Milwaukee/Toronto Rowdy Perez, Milwaukee/Detroit Prince Fielder.

That's 815 pounds by their baseball reference numbers.   I'd like to see anyone top that in one row or column.

Super easy grid today, got a 9/9 41.  I resisted the urge to gamble on some Cubs who I thought might be over 40 WAR but I wasn’t sure, and went with a safe choice.   But for future reference, Tinker, Evers and Chance were all comfortably over!