Coby Mayo is tearing it up in Bowie again tonight..

Roy Firestone

11 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

That's why this season was important for identifying a core group. It's still possible, and they may have made decisions on guys that I'd like to see in Baltimore...no real way of knowing until the deadline comes.

No one should be afraid of giving up value to get value. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one should be afraid of giving up value to get value. 

I agree. I'd rather not give up high value for a rental though. I'm just not sure that the quality of pitching will be available in season for a long term asset.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, but that’s just the thing. Who else is on the untouchable list? Holliday, of course. Cowser?  Kjerstad?  Mayo? At some point it becomes less of an untouchable list and more of a list of guys you’re afraid to give up. 

Sounds like a good list of keepers there. With wiggle room on Cowser/Ortiz.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's are going to have to trade some very good prospects to get a TOR starter.  Look what Seattle gave up for Castillo.  We need to get starting pitching somehow because Wells and Bradish and pray for rain won't work.

I think Elias is going to go with Bradish, Wells, Kremer, Irvin, GRod / Gibson this year in the rotation and he'll look to upgrade the bullpen via trade. Then I think he goes fishing for 1 - 2 TOR pitchers in free agency.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I think Elias is going to go with Bradish, Wells, Kremer, Irvin, GRod / Gibson this year in the rotation and he'll look to upgrade the bullpen via trade. Then I think he goes fishing for 1 - 2 TOR pitchers in free agency.

I think that's the most sensible route too. Thereby minimizing risk by holding the top prospects. As they continue to develop they will naturally sort themselves from surplus to the cream rising to the top. No need to rush that process, with free agency translating to dollar risk instead of risking losing long-term player assets.

Meanwhile if they want to trade Mountcastle, Hicks, Frazier, Mateo, Urias... go for it. Even Hays, for max value selling high! 

Edited by now

I'll never get over baseball fans fantasizing about how their favorite team should get rid of its young, exciting players.

Put Mayo in pretty much any other farm system and he's untouchable. That's a reflection of his talent and should not be diminished because there happen to be other talented prospects around him here.

It would be like arguing that the Ravens should have traded Kyle Hamilton last year because they were so deep at safety. Hamilton carved out a role as a slot corner because he's extremely good. And what do you know, now he might be moved back to safety. Mayo, on his current trajectory, will have a valuable place in any lineup.

If we must get rid of good, homegrown players because of the gross landscape of the MLB and our cheap owners, then at least do it with players who don't have unlimited upside.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

.....any more than we are convinced the Coby Mayo will be a top tier hitter in the majors.  That's the risk, and what makes a trade....there are almost never any guarantees.

Sure. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Coby Mayo for him necessarily. But that would have to be most or all of what I'd trade.

4 hours ago, bluedog said:

Joun Means was at the game today.. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Joun Means was at the game today.. 

We all hope to see John Means pitch meaningful innings this year, but the guy’s basically at the point of “maybe playing catch.” We have no idea what condition he’ll be in when he actually starts throwing. I don’t know that he can be counted on for anything.

MLB.com released its latest top 100 prospects this week.  Mayo came in at 78, Connor Norby at 69 and Joey Ortiz at 65.  

If this ranking is roughly in line with industry perceptions, then I think it's Norby and Ortiz that should be traded, not Mayo.   Think of what we could get with two top 100 prospects and a couple of lottery tickets at the lower levels.  And we'd still have Holliday, Mayo, Westburg, Cowser and Kjerstad in the system.    

52 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

MLB.com released its latest top 100 prospects this week.  Mayo came in at 78, Connor Norby at 69 and Joey Ortiz at 65.  

If this ranking is roughly in line with industry perceptions, then I think it's Norby and Ortiz that should be traded, not Mayo.   Think of what we could get with two top 100 prospects and a couple of lottery tickets at the lower levels.  And we'd still have Holliday, Mayo, Westburg, Cowser and Kjerstad in the system.    

Agreed. There's really no room for Norby in particular long-term in the major league starting lineup.

Mayo is going to skyrocket on the next MLB Pipeline update. All the lists in general typically lag a few months, although industry-wide consensus for these rankings/lists has sped up a great deal over the past couple years. Mayo is a clear Top 25 talent with room to go up the lists further in 2024 depending on when he's promoted to the majors.