Hays leaves 7/2 game with injury…

Explosivo

Why not immediately move him to the 15 day IL and call up Cowser to make good use of the short right porch at Yankee stadium? Seems like a smart move to me. Though Hays deserves to be an All star, he likely won’t be playing so make the move Elias. Now is the opportunity. You don’t want to go into a divisional series short handed in the outfield.

3 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Why not immediately move him to the 15 day IL and call up Cowser to make good use of the short right porch at Yankee stadium? Seems like a smart move to me. Though Hays deserves to be an All star, he likely won’t be playing so make the move Elias. Now is the opportunity. You don’t want to go into a divisional series short handed in the outfield.

Because he's arguably the best bat on the team, and if he doesn't have a 15 day injury, that would be a bad idea?

• Upvote 3

Just now, owknows said:

Because he's arguably the best bat on the team, and if he doesn't have a 15 day injury, that would be a bad idea?

Fair point haha. My only counter to that is with the all star break, his bat would be gone for a shorter time than a normal 15 day stint would dictate.

Just now, Baltimorecuse said:

I wouldn't bet anything on Cowser coming up.  

Might not be tomorrow, but it won't be long. Elias said he had earned a call yesterday and he generally doesn't start talking like that until they are getting close to making a move.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I wouldn't bet anything on Cowser coming up.  

Depends how long the Hays injury is.  If it is few days then no he won’t go up but if for some reason it a long time, then I expect he comes up.  It is way too early to tell either way.

3 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Hyde said it was day to day. Why would we "immediately" move him up to the 10 day IL if that is unnecessary? I want Cowser to be call up soon too. But there is no guarantee of his immediate success or that he can instantly come up the bigs and shot balls out to RF in Yankee Stadium off of big league pithing like it's that easy. Furthermore, what makes Cowser any more qualified to do this than Kjerstad or any of our other Major League LH hitters? 

Just now, Explosivo said:

Fair point haha. My only counter to that is with the all star break, his bat would be gone for a shorter time than a normal 15 day stint would dictate.

I'd be fine with Cowser coming up... It's actually about time... but I don't think I'd lock Hays out to do it.

There are other moves that need making

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

What was Hays' injury?  For that matter, I heard Westburg got hurt as well.  What happened to him?

Westburg was hit on the arm with a 101 MPH pitch. He stayed in the game. The HBP is on here: 

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/twins-vs-orioles/2023/07/02/717529/final/wrap

Edited by spiritof66
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I hate to speculate after seeing a 10 second clip, but that doesn't look like a 15 day injury.

Just depends on if something is broken. Lotta bones in the hand. Westburg said he thinks he's good, but adrenaline can mask a lot. 

10 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'd be fine with Cowser coming up... It's actually about time... but I don't think I'd lock Hays out to do it.

There are other moves that need making

I’m just thinking we don’t want to be down a man for an important series. Putting him on ten days rest is only sacrificing 7 games. It’s an interesting position to be in. But yeah only if he’s actually hurt.